Calories burned when walking

Options
I was checking to see how many calories are burned while walking and the results didn't make sense to me. Can someone please explain.

1.5 MPH, leisurely walking @ 50 minutes = 323 caloires burned
3.0 MPH, moderate pace @ 50 minutes = 177 calories burned
2.5 MPH, leisurely pace@ 50 minutes = 967 calories burned
2.5 MPH, leisurely pace @ 50 minutes = 161 calories burned

How is it that you burn more calories walking 1.5 MPH than at 3.0 MPH? And the last two (2.5 MPH) why the big difference? Was there a backpack added on one of them that doesn't show on the MFP app?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Not sure but this calculator will account for different variables

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the 967 calories. that is way too much to be able to burn in 50 minutes unless you are walking like the road runner runs.
  • b33zy727
    b33zy727 Posts: 4
    Options
    I also disagree but now I don't know how accurate it is to log in for calories burned for walking. With 967 calories, a person would have to be carrying a 100 lb back pack or something...
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    There is definitely a mistake with the first entry, 1.5 mph. I checked the database myself and there is even an error in the description: "Walking, 1.5 mph, leisurely pa"

There is a similar error in "Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pa" which yields 1200 calories burned (for me) for 50 minutes. The correct entry, "Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace" yields 200 calories burned in 50 minutes, which is about right based on my experience.

My guess is that one of your 2.5 entries is this incorrect one. The 1.5 is most definitely incorrect as well. The remainder look about right.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the MFP exercise calorie burn calculator is really flawed.

You could try getting a heart rate monitor, but if your exercise is only walking, it probably isn't too crucial to know the exact amount of calories. I'd say on days you walk log it as 100-400 calories for an hour, taking hills and incline into account as well as personal tired-ness level while walking.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I calculated mine here and this is what I got...
    2.5 MPH for 50 mins = 214
    3.0 MPH for 50 mins = 235
    3.5 MPH for 50 mins = 271
    4.0 MPH for 50 mins = 356

You could also go to other websites and see what they are claiming and average them out. I can't afford a heart rate monitor so that is usually what I do.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hm, I'm not seeing the 1.5mph in the database (on the website). Maybe the inaccurate ones are user entered and involve more than just walking (like carrying a backpack as suggested)? Normally walking burns about 100 cal per mile so

1.5 mph for 50 min = 125 cal
    2.5 mph for 50 min = 208 cal
    3 mph for 50 min = 250 cal
    4 mph for 50 min = 333 cal

Formula used: 60 min (per hour) divided by pace (1.5, 2.5 etc) = x
    50 (min workout) divided by x = y
    y times 100 = calorie burned

Example: 60 / 1.5 = 40
    50 / 40 = 1.25
    1.25 x 100 = 125

As an aside - not sure if you know this but the food database contains many user entered listings that can be way off base so be careful when picking items to log. Check labels if you can, or just use the scanner (which can also have issues but tends to be more accurate).
  • Entretien
    Options
    Thanks for your entry here. I didn't see it before I posted my own inquiry today about how farfetched some of those "Calories Burned" numbers seem to be!

So 50 minutes of "Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace" = 200 calories burned, is going to be my estimate from now on!