Simple recipes using chickpeas?

Options

Replies

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I boil and use them in my salads in place of croutons. healthy carbs and added protein. :)
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    bump for later use
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am going to try this Roasted Cauliflower + Chickpeas with Dijon Vinaigrette recipe on Saturday – and I am adding some blanched green beans for a little crunch and to boost the veggies. It certainly looks delicious in the pictures!

http://www.thewheatlesskitchen.com/feed-child-nourish-mind/
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this isnt simple enough, but it is DELICIOUS and it was a big hit when i made it for friends last week:

Falafel pie

Put 1 can of rinsed chickpeas in a blender/processer with 1/2 red onion, 1.5 tbsp olive oil, fresh parsley and cilantro if you have it, fresh or powdered garlic, salt and pepper. Blend, add 2 tbsp whole wheat flour, blend. Pat the mixture into a pie pan, bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Let cool. fill with hummus, top with whatever you like! i did mixed spring greens, cucumbers, olives, tomatoes, and a yogurt sauce (greek yogurt, lemon, garlic, and diced cucumbers with water squeezed out and put in processor). cut into it like a pie and serve: DELICIOUS! With some grilled chicken it would be a protein and fiber packed healthy meal victory! :)
  • squiguk
    squiguk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Chicken, chickpea, spinach and tomato curry...

Dice up some chicken breast and cook through, lightly fry some onions, add a can of chopped tomatoes, chickpeas, your spices (curry powder.garam masala, chilli, etc) and then add loads of spinach which wilts away. Simmer for 20 mins then serve with a dollop of greek yoghurt and brown rice. Yum!

*I just recently modified this to blitzing the spinach in the food processor first then adding it to the tomatoes and the rest. Adding the yoghurt to the sauce as its cooking makes it look and taste like a proper curry!
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Chickpea curry. Fry onions, add minced garlic and curry powder to taste and fry briefly, then add cooked chickpeas and stock or tinned tomatoes. Bubble for a while. If you want, thicken with cornflour/water paste or ground almonds, or give it a few pulses with a hand blender to mush some of the chickpeas, which will also thicken it.

Yup this is a good one. I don't bother with stock or tinned tomatoes but I do add some frozen spinach and fresh coriander if I have it. Yum.

Also you can add sweet potato or squash which kind of mushes into the sauce.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Does anyone have any simple recipes using chickpeas that the really like? I'm not looking to do anything overly involved, so simplicity would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chickpea and potato curry - very filling and great as leftovers
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Google Chana masala - traditional indian chickpea curry
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    http://www.marthastewart.com/315061/couscous-salad-with-roasted-vegetables-a

That one is really good and really easy to keep it low cost with using seasonal vegetables. It is completely changeable too, you can add meats and stuff. And the original recipe is vegan.
  • rocketblaster
    rocketblaster Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lots of ideas here that I do. two others that are yummy are:

Chickpea salad - rinse a can of chickpeas, add a diced onion, 2 diced tomatoes, a cup or more of chopped parsley, make a dressing from fresh lemon juice, a bit of zest, a grated clove of garlic, a pinch of salt and I use some splenda. Depending on your calorie req and love of sour you might want to add a bit of oil (I generally don't but I really like tart tastes). This is excellent on it's own, also great with a can of tuna or as a side for other meals. yummy.

I also often make cauliflower, sweet potato and chickpea curry. I but up cauliflower and sweet potatoes into small pieces and roast in the oven at 425) while the cauliflower and sweet potato roasts I sauté one or two onions and two cloves of garlic, once they are soft I'll add some Pataks Vindaloo spice and maybe some Indian Mango sauce (just a bit) with a can of tomatoes. then I take the sweet potato and cauliflower out of the oven, add to the sauce and simmer for a bit. So delicious!
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Super simple, drain chickpeas and add a little bit of olive oil, some vinegar, red onions, salt and peppper and some chunks of bell pepper. Done!
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just made a really fantastic chickpea salad with drained, canned chickpeas, chopped walnuts, feta cheese, sliced green olives, red onion, chopped carrot and celery and red bell pepper, tons of fresh chopped parsely, lemon juice and a teensy bit of olive oil. It tasted good last night at dinner but much much better this morning, after marinating all night. It's a hearty bean salad with lots of healthy omega-3 fats.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Super simple, drain chickpeas and add a little bit of olive oil, some vinegar, red onions, salt and pepper and some chunks of bell pepper. Done!

That sounds great! I also make a 3 bean salad using chickpeas, green beans and the yellow wax beans, add some low cal Italian dressing and chill it.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    This is my all-time FAVORITE for chickpeas:

DEVILISH CHICK SPREAD

3 cups chickpeas, cooked
    1 cup vegan mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    Season Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons finely chopped chives

Combine everything except chives in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse on and off until the mixture is nicely melded, but don’t puree—leave a little texture. Add the chives through the feed tube and pulse on and off a few times to whirl in.
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try some of these!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Moroccan Chicken!

throw chicken thighs or quarters, baby carrots, raisins, onions, lemon slices (you throw these out when it's all cooked) and a can of chickpeas in a electric skillet or slow cooker. Add a little cinnamon, lemon juice, honey, minced garlic and a pinch of nutmeg and simmer until carrots are soft and chicken is cooked through. Eat as is, or serve over white or wild rice.

It sounds a little weird, but try it! You'll thank me. And don't omit any of the ingredients, trust me! It is absolutely to DIE for, and so easy.
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Lots of recipes for savoury ideas (can't fault that - I love me a good chickpea salad etc), but I also LOVE using chickpeas in cookies. Check these out - chickpea peanut butter choc chip cookies:

Chickpea-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies-Sarah1.jpg

http://cookathome.info/chickpea-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies/