What made you stop binge eating FOR GOOD?

Options

Replies

• Anonymouze
    Options
    Bump- I have nearly the same exact problem.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I became disgusted with foods . Watching programs on how it's made and things like that . And mashing the foods up , weel they became just un-appetising . And watching people eat also turned me off , hearing somebody chew makes me cringe .

It's also alot to do with willpower . You've got to weigh the guilt vs. how nice will that food be :)

YES. You'll have to pay me a lot of money to get me to eat a hot dog again. learn how your good was made and ask if you really want those particles in your body. Not just going in one end and out the other, but staying there and weighing you down.
  • tawneyhorses9
    Options
    I have had a binge today, I was nearly sick. I am in the grips of this big time. I fast most of the time and I am fine with that because I never really get hungry. But when the mind set is there I can do nothing to stop it. I have issues with my childhood, which I don't really want to go into and has now made me the way I am. I also have started to suffer really bad panic attacks. I have not got a clue what sparks a binge, but I am completely out of control. I am in a lot of pain when I binge. I feel like I am sliding down a slippery slope. I am really, really fed up with it all now.
  • mniakm
    mniakm Posts: 12
    Options
    Some things to consider as a binger, that may help you stop: (I am also a binger and working to stop)
    1 - food is meant to be enjoyed, but when you binge, you do NOT enjoy it
    2 - whatever problem is ailing you and making you binge is NOT going to go away after the binge is done
    3 - all the exercise or activity you did will be cancelled out from the binging
    4 - not only are you gaining excess weight, you are increasing your cholesterol while paying extra money on your grocery bill
    (wasted money + weight gain + increased cholesterol + bad morale = more problems)
    5 - strive to do better, and forgive yourself, after all you are human

Best of luck everyone, you are not alone and you CAN stop! Believe in yourself.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I stopped binge eating because I didn't like the feeling afterwards. I also developed high blood pressure. I knew if I kept at it, I would get big as a house and develop other health problems, too. It comes a time where you have to take a poop or get off of the potty.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am bumping to read when I have time, because like you I have a huge problem with this! When I start to feel yucky afterwards, I tell myself I will remember that feeling for next time and learn to not do it again, but I must have terrible memory, because the next time, I do it again. I know it is not ok, but I still do it.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Some things to consider as a binger, that may help you stop: (I am also a binger and working to stop)
    2 - whatever problem is ailing you and making you binge is NOT going to go away after the binge is done
    4 - not only are you gaining excess weight, you are increasing your cholesterol while paying extra money on your grocery bill
    (wasted money + weight gain + increased cholesterol + bad morale = more problems)

What sucks is these are all things I am aware of when doing it, but I ignore them! :(
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor to help. This is a eating disorder, an addiction almost. Good luck!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I worked on it for 30 years before I stopped. I did therapy, groups, medication, books, etc. What made me stop was turning 40. I decided I was not going to carry this monster of a disease into the 2nd half of my life.

To do so, I had to stop dieting and start feeding myself for nourishment. I had to commit to the principles of mindful eating. I had to realize that stabilizing was more important than weight loss. I committed to exercising regularly and hard to relieve my stress and nervous energy. I started yoga and do it 2-3x per week. I read books about intuitive eating and cognitive behavioral modifications. I developed coping strategies and worked my program. I started gardening so I had a better connection with food (and also shopping at Farmers' Markets). I stopped bringing trigger foods into my home. I cut out flour and sugar because they were triggers for me. I made a list of things I could do instead when I wanted to binge and I worked that list.

It was HARD. It is HARD.

I have to learn to be comfortable with discomfort--to allow it to pass without any destructive behaviors to take my mind off it.
    I have been successfully in recovery since last summer and while I've had some slight missteps, I just work all these strategies all the time.

The only thing that will make you stop is HARD FREAKIN WORK--working your system, sitting through emotional upsets and waiting for them to pass, and committing to living your life free from this giant weight around your neck that is choking you out. I feel like I was carrying such a heavy physical and emotional burden for so many years and it's mostly gone.

The other thing is BE HONEST ABOUT YOUR ILLNESS with yourself and with others. I allowed my illness to shame me. I hid it. Once I admitted it to everyone, it had no power over me.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    What stopped me bingeing and comfort eating? Knowing what I needed to eat calorie wise and never cutting more than 100-150 calories a day. I only binge after I've restricted.

Sometimes if I have holiday for a few days I go for it, but it's never with the blank staring eyes anymore lol!

Also, eating all the foods I like, and knowing the VALUE of those foods makes me eat slower and enjoyably.

Washing up straight after dinner, having a hot drink and full fat Greek yoghurt puts a stop to my evening chow downs.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    P.S. I agree with the posters saying to ignore the comments about using your willpower.

Restriction is a precursor to developing BED. Don't use your willpower. Work on learning to eat normally, with a counselor and/or nutritionist if necessary.

Trying to "use your willpower" is the worst thing you can do.

However, do remember that every time you binge, your are hardwiring that behavior into your brain as a normal response to a situation. It takes quite a while to unravel those neural pathways when you want to re-write your code, so to speak.
  • givingitmyalltoday
    givingitmyalltoday Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I relate to this in a very big way...I was looking for a place to post and I stumbled upon this....Thank you for sharing! I have been isolating in my binge eating and it feels like a really safe place. Unfortunatly walking around in this 220lb body is really bringing me down....not as easy to hide any more. I could use tons of encouragment and even a few bad *kitten* cause i hate to let people down. I have to do this now because my health is really bad and I have a beautiful active 5 year old daughter to raise.
  • givingitmyalltoday
    givingitmyalltoday Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really like this post!
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Binge eating and over eating have nothing to do with will power or control. It has to do with Choice.

I have spoken at length about binge eating and over eating in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/656765-bingers

Give it a quick read :-)

I have to say I disagree with that. Choice isn't everything. Binge eating can come from a place that you don't even know about. Choice, control and willpower are not the same thing. They're all psychological and as such are all complicated but it's not as simple as just choosing not to do something when you don't know why you're choosing to do it.

Well it's your right to disagree, but I must ask, did not read the post I linked to, or my replies to it? Choice and control are what I talk about in them at length, you might have a different opinion. :-)

I'm just sayin'.

I did read it and I still disagree. Yeah, you do choose to binge but like I said, if you don't know why you're choosing to do that then it's not as simple as purely coming down to choice. Control for me, is everything. I now know why I binge and that knowledge gives me the power to control it and my cravings. Everyone's different and uses their own methods.

You can say whatever you want but it's not backed up the body of literature regarding BED and not supported by the medical community.
  • MisshotCoco
    Options
    Honestly just logging in food everyday helps! If you have to binge eat, binge on healthy foods! Also, drink A LOT of water. It will make your stomach feel ridiculously full almost to the point where you feel sick, and you won't be able to eat. Additionally, stay active. The more you exercise the less likely you are to binge eat because after you workout, you feel too good to spoil the feeling! Staying busy is also key. If you're always busy (not watching tv, sitting around, etc) and you're out shopping or taking your dog on a walk in the park you can't eat. Shopping is great exercise and you'll be less likely to eat a lot of food if you're trying on clothes!

Hope these tips help :) Also, you can take green tea extract pills and the other pills recommended by Dr. Oz so your body does not absorb the fat/your metabolism is sped up etc. So, if you do binge, it won't be as bad. Also, just because you binged, doesn't mean you have to make the whole day a "lazy" day. Go for a light jog for 30 minutes, walk your dog in the park, go swimming, go shopping, go take a walk with your friend/boyfriend/husband/fiance, go take a yoga class, go take a spin class, etc.

Good luck :)<3<3 sending my encouragement and love!
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options

These plus logging as you eat so to be conscious of the binge, are really good suggestions from previous posters. I want to remember them. Maybe post on my monitor.
  • ogs020589
    ogs020589 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Once I started eating enough calories throughout the week, including good healthy fats (avocado, nuts) and making sure I was getting proper nutrition.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I can't speak of what I would call "true" binges because I haven't had that issue. However I've found that the times when I do lose control a little bit are growing much further in between. For example, I have difficulty controlling myself when it comes to holiday candy (Halloween, Cadbury eggs, etc) and I used to go buy 3-5 pieces at once and it would have been a miracle for them to last 24 hours. But honest logging on MFP has broken me of that habit mostly. I still may talk myself into two when I planned to eat one, but it's like my self-respect has grown a bit and along with it, my discipline.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    it happened slowly for me, it wasnt one thing but rather an accumulation of a number of different aspects of my old habits. spending way too much on food, being out of breath after performing simple stuff like climbing a couple flights of stairs, never being happy with my self-image ect.

eventually i just learned that binging isnt really worth anything, there is one positive to it, and that is the short term result of having that craving satisfied, which is outweighed 100x by the negatives. plus that craving can be satisfied without fulling yourself to the brim, i just eat a small amount of whatever im craving

havent had a true binge in 6 months
  • FitnessBellaBarbie
    Options
    Help me!!! I feel the SAME way.