eat back exercise calories or not?

Options
arenad
arenad Posts: 142 Member
I have done research and more confused than before. Are we supposed to eat them back?

Replies

• trinity5703
    Options
    I eat about half of my exercise calories back. If I've been really really active that day I might eat all of them but that only happens about once a week or so.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I have done research and more confused than before. Are we supposed to eat them back?

Are you using MFP's method or did you set your calories at TDEE?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hint - there is a reason that MFP adds calories to your daily allowance when you log exercise.
    Ask yourself what would be the point of that if you weren't supposed to eat them back?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you exercise and what your net should be. My net is 1200, and if I just walk or do yoga, which burn in the 100 or so range, I don't worry about it because the deficit isn't that serious. But today, I did kickboxing which was 500 calories and took a walk (90) calories. That would put my net at 610, which is way too low, so I'll eat them back. When you do a hard work out, you need some extra fuel to support your body.
  • arenad
    Options
    MFP's are way off, I use TDEE.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Are you trolling?
    You just started a thread asking if you should eat back exercise calories and now you say you are following the TDEE method!
  • NaturallyandProperly
    NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you are indeed using TDEE, then NO. You do not eat your calories back.
  • paula5077
    paula5077 Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm so up in the air about eating them back myself. Normally I do not however lately if I am super hungry or feel weak, yes! I've been basing it on my "need" for the day. I am taking a 18% deficient though, so it won't hurt me if I do. I still think the best answer is to listen to your body and go from there.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are confused on how both MFP and TDEE methods work. :huh:

Use MFP, enter info & goals accurately & realistically, eat back cals because your exercise is NOT figured into your daily cal goal, works great.

Use TDEE method, enter info & goals accurately & realistically, don't eat back cals because your exercise IS figured into your daily cal goal, works great.

In either case, your daily intake should come out about the same (assuming it's set up correctly of course :tongue: ) - it's just a matter of whether you want to eat back exercise cals (MFP), or just eat to the same goal every day (TDEE).
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

This is one question i hate more than any other, it is totally pointless, exercise and eat, if you are happy with the results carry on if not eat less what difference does it make
  • carencae
    carencae Posts: 25 Member
    Options

What is tdee? I am still quite new so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have started to leave 200 - 300 calories at the end of the day because when I was eating them all back I wasn't losing any weight. I follow MFP to a T....but I hit a plateau a month ago and just recently broke it (when I started leaving calories). YAY ME! I am a home care nurse and 90% of my day is just sitting! So I have started reading everything I can get my hands on.

Thank you
    Caren
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options

What is tdee? I am still quite new so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have started to leave 200 - 300 calories at the end of the day because when I was eating them all back I wasn't losing any weight. I follow MFP to a T....but I hit a plateau a month ago and just recently broke it (when I started leaving calories). YAY ME! I am a home care nurse and 90% of my day is just sitting! So I have started reading everything I can get my hands on.

Thank you
    Caren

Caren - how are you getting your estimated calorie burns? I have found the MFP calorie burns to be high. They are higher than both my exercise bike and HRM numbers. The only activity I have found them to have a good correlation for is walking on a treadmill at a steady pace. The general rule of thumb I've read is that if you are using the MFP calorie numbers then try eating 50% to 75% back.
  • mniakm
    mniakm Posts: 12
    Options
    Set your HEALTHY calorie intake for the day and stick to that. Exercise and burn extra calories BUT if you are doing extreme workouts and burning huge ants of calories then your body needs food to fuel it so you don't get dizzy and pass out.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I don't but then I have a very random weight loss remedy. I have started the 5:2 method, so for to days I eat no more than 500 cals. Most days I eat maintenance, which is 1840 cals (according to MFP). That still give me a deficit according to my fitbit and it's sustainable for me and give me weight loss.
    I think you need to look at if you're going to to do IF or anything else that works in your lifestyle. You need to work from there.
  • paula5077
    paula5077 Posts: 57
    Options
    check out www.iifym.com it will explain.
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The whole reason I started exercising was so I could eat more. No joke.
    I usually eat back all my calories and I'm losing enough weight to make me happy. I started working out in February and I've lost 11lbs since.
  • arenad
    Options

Sorry, I meant I don't use it either.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • arenad
    Options
    check out www.iifym.com it will explain.

Thanks Paula. It helped me out a lot!!