1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i eat 1850 cals perday sometimes 2090 i never gained a pound > i just keep getting results :p height 5'5 weight 122 p enjoying life eating 3 full meals perday with a snack or 2 on the side in that day :p i was 135 pounds now iam 122 pounds & building muscles at this rate .

L1LRnMO.gif
    hahahahahaha
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone upset by other people choosing to eat less than they do?

Are you genuinely upset that they are "starving" themselves (even if that's not even the case half the time), do you think they're stupid because they could be eating another 500 calories or more per day and still losing (maybe they want to lose weight faster, or maybe it's what works best for them), or are you guys just jealous that they have that kind of willpower or something?

I don't know, I'm just saying, if you can eat 1200 calories and hit your macros you shouldn't have to deal with everyone bashing you for a low calorie diet on a calorie counting website.
  • s4naz
    s4naz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie plan and I don't feel deprived or hungry on most days. I workout about 6 times a week and eat back most or all of my exercise cals. I set it to lose a pound a week.

But if you eat back your exercise calories then you're not really on a 1200 calorie a day diet. Sounds like you have just 1200 calories one day per week

I assumed we were talking about a net of 1200 calories

Don't get me wrong, sounds like you are doing everything just right

I'm trying! lol
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    1200 is a number I've been hearing since I was little. My Mum used to get fitness magazines and they'd all tote '1200 meal plans'. She stopped getting them, thankfully.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Are you genuinely upset that they are "starving" themselves (even if that's not even the case half the time), do you think they're stupid because they could be eating another 500 calories or more per day and still losing (maybe they want to lose weight faster, or maybe it's what works best for them), or are you guys just jealous that they have that kind of willpower or something?

I don't know, I'm just saying, if you can eat 1200 calories and hit your macros ... you shouldn't have to deal with everyone bashing you for a low calorie diet on a calorie counting website.

... and most of your micros ...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I started at 1360, but eventually lost enough that MFP put me at 1230 - PLUS EXERCISE. So I guess I don't see your point. I was hoping to lose a pound a week - which I did.

I've been maintaining since last June.

You get older, you need fewer calories. You adjust. Get over it.

What I have learned here is how to eat wonderful luscious food within my allowance (now 1440 plus exercise) and skip all the dumb extra calories that made me overweight.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I don't know, I'm just saying, if you can eat 1200 calories and hit your macros you shouldn't have to deal with everyone bashing you for a low calorie diet on a calorie counting website.

Yeah I am worried that this site by recommending a 1200 cal diet to someone who shoots for an unreasonable weightloss goal is giving them justification for a behavior that is likely to cause them more harm than good especially youths.

It isnt jelousy its this other emotion known as empathy, you should try it sometime.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Yeah I am worried that this site by recommending a 1200 cal diet to someone who shoots for an unreasonable weightloss goal is giving them justification for a behavior that is likely to cause them more harm than good especially youths.

It isnt jelousy its this other emotion known as empathy, you should try it sometime.

There are no youths on this site. Your argument is invalid.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Whut?
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day. It works for me @ only 5 feet tall. I am not deprived because I eat healthy. I don't eat my exercise calories. I, i. No way am starving. I eat when I'm hungry. I do not eat for the sake of eating or because a clock says it's time. If I'm truly hungry my body will tell me.
  • sseqwnp
    Options

Whut?

YOOTS?!?!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    AGREE WITH>>>>Aaron_K123
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

These forums are supposed to be 18+, so using the old "think of the kids" line as leverage in your argument doesn't really hold up here.

You call it empathy, I call it complaining that other people are happy eating less than you do, really does come off as jealousy.

If you're that concerned email someone who has the ability to do something about it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    It wasn't my intent to suggest a 1200 cal diet is inappropriate for everyone but it is my contention that it is inappropriate for a good majority of people but you wouldnt know it from the forum where seems like half the people who post are on 1200 cal diets sometimes ezercising 5 days a week without eating calories back. Many of them need teenagers.

What I was suggesting/hoping was that when a 17 year old 135 pound 5' 8 girl put in her info and asked to lose 2 pounds a week to get rid of that pesky belly fat thag MFP didnt suggest they eat 1200 calories but instead suggezted 1700 with a more reasonable loss per week.

Is it my businesses? No and I freely admit that. But that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to see that over and over and over teenagers netting like 700 cal a day and feeling justified doing so.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Well thats great that the site and forums are supposed to be 18+ but 5 minutes pursuing said forum will show you they aren't.

Also why as a 6 foot tall man would I be jealous of people eating 1200 calories honestly.
  • sseqwnp
    Options
    It wasn't my intent to suggest a 1200 cal diet is inappropriate for everyone but it is my contention that it is inappropriate for a good majority of people but you wouldnt know it from the forum where seems like half the people who post are on 1200 cal diets sometimes ezercising 5 days a week without eating calories back. Many of them need teenagers.

What I was suggesting/hoping was that when a 17 year old 135 pound 5' 8 girl put in her info
    and asked to lose 2 pounds a week to get rid of that pesky belly fat thag MFP didnt suggest they eat 1200 calories but instead suggezted 1700 with a more reasonable loss per week.

Is it my businesses? No and I freely admit that. But that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to see that over and over and over teenagers netting like 700 cal a day and feeling justified doing so.

No such thing on MFP. Your argument is still invalid.
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calorie diet is a good start. Once you get comfortable with it and start making friends here and find out more about what you should and shouldn't be doing, you can start to tailor your own diet. This is the way I did it.

You have to start somewhere.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    stop debate lets all just b friends hehe :blushing: i think :glasses:
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 is the number it spits out for women. I set mine to lose 1 lb a week, needed to lose 25 or 30 I think, and it gave me 1200. I'm 5'2". I changed it to 1500 and eat back my exercise calories. It needs to be something I can live with.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I think 1200 is the number it spits out for women. I set mine to lose 1 lb a week, needed to lose 25 or 30 I think, and it gave me 1200. I'm 5'2". I changed it to 1500 and eat back my exercise calories. It needs to be something I can live with.

As a 6 foot tall man if I tell MFP I am sedentary and want to lose 2 pounds a week it tells me to b eat 1200 calories. This would not be good for me so I ignore it and recalculate at a lower weight loss. It isnt specific to gender its just more likely if you are smaller or aim for fast weight loss which it seems most people who post do.