Calling all Runners!

Options
Logluc
Logluc Posts: 20 Member
Little background first. I started exercising and watching my calories in January of this year. I have thankfully lost 20lbs! I did it by running 6.5mph 3miles 3x a week on the treadmill and 3 days a week of weight/resistance band training. I ran a 6km race in March with the last 2km at a 10% grade. Ok time of 42 mins (in my defence I did have a bad cold!). I have an 8km race coming up in june that I'm training for. My problem is I'm bored of running. I love working out to DVDs but when I think of running I get sad right now. To stay training do I have to run right now or can I still be preparing for the race without running? I'll still maintain my6days Per week but just not running. Maybe in a couple of weeks I will again but I'm just so bored! FYI I do tae Bo boot camp, Jillian michaels banish fat and a variety of other tae Bo DVDs which btw I LOVE! Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What's making it boring? Are you running on a treadmill or outside? If treadmill, can you get outside & run? If you're already outside, can you change up your current route or drive to a different location for new scenery? I've found even running a regular route in the opposite direction can be a nice change. :smile:

Personally I couldn't do other exercise and still expect to do well in a race - I'd have to stick with my usual training. Are you running daily and not doing any other exercise? I run three days and do weights on the other three, always one day off.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Agree on running outside with different routes.
    Something I also do when I find myself getting bored is make a new running playlist, it's a great distraction :smile:
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    May be take a week off from running and do some cross training. Change your routine a bit and get some new running routes might rekindle that passion. I've just had an enforced 2 weeks of cross training thanks to a calf strain and the first week was quite a nice break, but this week has been torture! Can't wait for this morning's Park Run TBH.
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I see that you said you run on a treadmill. Running outside might be a nice change. If that isn't possible you could try to switch up your treadmill workout. You could alternate paces, distances, or run intervals. Changing up your playlist could help as well if you listen to music while you run. I like to vary my route and distance to keep things fresh.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Same issue here. Lol hate running but I have a 10k.race soon. I run 2 days a week about 3miles and 1x a week I will run 6-7miles. Eventually I'd like to do a half marathon in late summer. I find.it helps when you go with someone. passes time faster
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    What was said above was excellent advice, but if you like running, or the benifits of cardio, HIIT is your best bet. When you can get outside try sprinting to a visable spot such as an upcoming road and walking for a bit. Also try biking, spin class is an amazing HIIT class, or just being outside is good, also with summer months approaching you could go hiking, rowing, swimming and the like. Over all if your looking for a high fat/calorie burn go for HIIT :) you don't have to run consistently, but keep your heart rate high around where it is when you run and for that length of time you were training before or increase it. I would suggest a once a week run to test your fitness level.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yay, Park Run day!

Short answer - the best way to prepare for a running race is to run. Try to make it varied and interesting - choose different routes, use music or podcasts, write poetry in your head while you run, run with a friend, run with a dog, use challenegs set by MapMyRun or Fiticracy. Join a running club.

My mantra is "don't think, just run".
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    HIIT is your best bet.

High intensity is merely a mode of training, it's not some kind of magic activity where everything is sparkly and wonderful. If anything one isn't going to make the best gains from high intensity work without the moderate and higher intensity sessions as well.

For the originator, what is it that makes running boring for you? I note that you mention treadmill running, personally I find that incredibly demotivating, any machine is pretty much insufferable for more than 10 minutes or so.

Equally, if you're only doing steady pace work then that's pretty tedious as well.

Personally I run five sessions per week, one long run at a steady pace, one short run again at steady pace and then three tempo or interval sessions. I couple that with cycling, either road or mountain, and some bodyweight resistance work.

Plenty of variety there, and quite a lot of flexibility on routes.

I'm actually just about to head out for an 18km session this morning :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run outside. Doing all your work on a treadmill is going to be boring remember you are not a hamster. Also running outside is so different even if you do the same routes they change on a daily basis. there is a place for treadmills but the purpose of running is to actually go somewhere. Pick different routes run randomly there is so many things you can do.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1,000,000 on running outside. Treadmills are boring, boring, boring (but a necessary evil if you live where weather can be less than ideal)

Even if running on the TM didn't bore you it's advisable to start running outside to prepare for the race, with uneven surfaces, changes in terrain, wind resistance etc it's very different than running on a treadmill.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I agree - I did the entire C25K on the treadmill and by the end of the 9weeks I was super bored.

I run outside now, and find myself itching to get out when I'm stuck in work!! And I'm disappointed when I miss a run.

I run 4 times a week, currently training for a 10k.

Saying that - I just really love it. If you don't enjoy it, you don't have to run....
  • Logluc
    Logluc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Kind of what I suspected. I need to keep running to keep training. I live in southwestern canada on an acreage in the country. It's just now starting to get good enough to run outside. The roads were either icy and snow covered or more recently muddy and difficult to run. Perhaps that's what I need is to get outside and run to some good tunes. Thanks for all the super helpful replies!
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Running inside is boring, sooo boring. I love running outside it rocks!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    After I started running I kind of had the same feeling. I reminded myself why I started running and how I felt after I ran. Some days I really had to force myself out but after I ran, I felt great and I loved the way my body was changing. Now, I have to make sure I take a rest day. If you decide that you actually don't like it - there are plenty of other cardio exercises to do. Find something you like and stick with it.
  • sbarnes1963
    Options
    Running outside with music is my preference. This winter was brutal & I did more runs than ever on my treadmill. I download books on my Kindle, enlarge the print, and set it on my treadmill & read a book while I run. This has kept me on the treadmill for many more miles than I would have made it just listening to music! The elliptical did a great job of keeping up my cardio when I couldn't run for several weeks due to a calf strain.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If I'm running on my treadmill I either watch a movie/documentary or listen to an audiobook. It has to be something that can keep my mind engaged otherwise I get bored and distracted and wind up organizing the closet, again.