Ready to give up

Options
So here it is I am 43 years old quit smoking started running marathons instead. I am 5' 4" and weigh 135. I work out 6 days a week and try to eat healthy. Well I was putting a huge try into it until I did it for 2 months straight and lost nothing.. I went off the deep end this weekend and ate cookies and cakes and now I feel so guilty. But I am so frustrated I would like to lose 15 lbs to be 120 which is not unrealistic for someone my height. I went on low carb, I have eaten raw, eaten clean done everything right and yet nothing comes off. So this weekend I said heck with it and just ate junk and I will start over Monday. It is not making me feel good about myself but what can you do when you do everything you can and lose nothing. So very very frustrating.

Replies

• mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So here it is I am 43 years old quit smoking started running marathons instead. I am 5' 4" and weigh 135. I work out 6 days a week and try to eat healthy. Well I was putting a huge try into it until I did it for 2 months straight and lost nothing.. I went off the deep end this weekend and ate cookies and cakes and now I feel so guilty. But I am so frustrated I would like to lose 15 lbs to be 120 which is not unrealistic for someone my height. I went on low carb, I have eaten raw, eaten clean done everything right and yet nothing comes off. So this weekend I said heck with it and just ate junk and I will start over Monday. It is not making me feel good about myself but what can you do when you do everything you can and lose nothing. So very very frustrating.

No advice, sorry. But I would LOVE to be in your "position" (at 45 I too am 5'4" but weigh 165 and you're UNDER my goal weight). If that's you in the picture you look just fine to me. Good luck though, I hope you get to where you want ! :flowerforyou:
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, honey!!! I gave up one time and it was the worst decision ever! I will ALWAYS regret it! Try not to be too strict or try another sport/workout. I started swimming and biking when running just wasn't doing it for me. Now I do triathlons, (until last year, but that is a whole other health issue). I'm planning another tri this year as a goal. Just don't give up!!!

:)
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Maybe you've lost inches. I would also try to incorporate done sort of strength training into your routine.

I've had binge days and somehow I manage to lose weight easier afterwards. Lol!!

ETA: not the end if the world. Just enjoy it and start again Monday :flowerforyou:
  • PamLempicki1
    Options
    thanks I know we all have a journey ... good luck on yours
  • PamLempicki1
    Options
    I may have lost inches... on top of running I do weight training, kickboxing, spinning, boot camps I am a very active person. Maybe my body just doesn't want to give up anything. I started doing the T25 because so many people got results after a month nadda. I know we should all try to be happy with what we have but shouldn't we try to be better? I am just down today.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's all about what you eat. you need to log and maintain a deficit.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Well, whatever you end up doing you have to stick with something. I don't lose weight either. Usually it takes a serious shakeup of my routine to lose anything at all. Even then its only a little bit at a time! I've 'circled' 230 lbs for about a year now. I've gotten as low as 221. Over the winter, I popped back up to about 230 and with any luck by the end of May I'll be 221 again. Eating clean, working out 6 days in a row (TurboFire, Running, Walking, Combat). I've dropped my calories, I've upped my calories and I get the same thing.

I hear ya :) But I'm not quitting. I'm healthier than I ever have been in my life. If it takes me til I die to get below 200 that's what I'll do.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I went on low carb, I have eaten raw, eaten clean done everything right and yet nothing comes off.

A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight and that can be done with all types of foods. Do you log accurately and weigh everything? If not, start there.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Also, for how active you are you need to make sure you are consuming ENOUGH calories.
    You want to maintain a deficit, yes... But if you are not eating enough then your body is going to retain fat so that you have enough energy for all the workouts you do.

Also, don't just look at the scale, do measurements and check your body fat %... Because that is way better than just watching the scale.
  • PamLempicki1
    Options
    thanks for all the advice. I sometimes do tend to not eat enough. I have 4 children and am a single mom with full time job some days I leave the house at 6am and don't get home until after 7 and by the time I get the kids all settled I just have forgotten to eat.. I know that is bad I am working on being a healthier me. I guess that is all we can do
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! There are so many more positive things that have been happening to your body in the last two months that the scale's numbers should be the least of your worries! I bet you are stronger and have way more endurance than when you first start. And you quit smoking... that's awesome and so good for you right there!

I totally get being disappointed when the scale doesn't move. Even though in my head using logic, I know I shouldn't worry because those jeans fresh from the dryer fit better but there is definitely something about the number staring back at me that negates that.

I imagine most people have setbacks from time to time. This is a journey we are all on and ups and downs are going to be there. Don't let them discourage you!
  • PamLempicki1
    Options
    I am so glad I posted you all give me motivation. I was afraid since I didn't have a lot to lose that I would get negative comments but I recognize we are all on a journey to be healthier .. thank you all I am going to keep moving forward
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Sometimes it takes a while to see Any results. But it does work. I was 202, I'm 135 now. I never cut out Abby foods, never ate paleo, or any of that stuff. I just weighed and measured all my foods, honestly and accurately. I tracked everything, and kept with it even when I saw no results. I ate the foods I love, just in moderation. I used portion control and made sure not to over estimate my workouts, and not to underestimate my foods. So it will work, when done properly. Just stick with it. You must make sure all your numbers are correct and that your logging is accurate. :-)
  • ladyraven2186
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I know how you feel about not losing the weight but doing everything right to try to lose it. I now have a fear of the scale myself. I am always afraid to step on it. I take it out but I always end up just putting it away. It might also just be that you are at a plateau at the moment. I know I have hit a lot of those. Just keep up the great work and I am sure something good will come out of it. Just think positively!
  • lozzatao
    lozzatao Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    " I sometimes do tend to not eat enough. "

You have to eat to lose weight !!! Bizarre but true .. I tried this and your body goes into 'starvation mode' and just stores everything you eat ... I ended up putting ON half a stone ... eating more now (but still around my calorie target) and I've started losing .... keep your chin up girl ... !!! Have a 'blow out' over the weekend .. you are allowed to have cheat days and begin again on Monday .... as an aside .. don't focus on your weight, just eat well and train .. you will be surprised what happens when you are not thinking about it !!! GOOD LUCK and KEEP LOGGING !!!!
  • ExtremePhobia
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised then. You may not have lost anything but 135 is also not unreasonable for someone your height if you have a good amount of muscle. You may not be there yet but if you maintain 135 and work towards a muscular build then you'll probably end up healthier than what your original goal was.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I def can't compare my day to day to yours at all, you sound so busy! But I know what has helped me is prepping all my meals, snacks and buying a gallon water bottle to carry around haha..

So I know what I need to eat for the day and it helps you stay on track and in your case just eat in general which has been hard for me since I increased by calories.
    And also protein or meal replacement shakes, some can be pricey but you just have to look for what fits your needs and you can find great discounts..
    You sound like such an amazing role model for you children! Please don't give up, they are def watching and I know they have to be proud of you :)
  • UmmaOfThree
    UmmaOfThree Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to you, and weight does not come off easily if you're already at a healthy weight. I would say just be patient and keep your focus on your goal. There will be off days where junk and sugar are consumed, but for the most part, if you eat healthy and exercise, you will see results. To me, it's all about calories. If you either increase your activity or decrease your intake even if it's a slight change, you will gradually see the weight come off. You can do this!