Touring Michigan

Options
ilovehlloktty
ilovehlloktty Posts: 31 Member
My husband and I want to take our three daughters on a tour of Michigan this summer lasting about a week. We are both from Michigan and currently live in Michigan but neither of us have seen much of it. He has never seen the Mackinac Bridge and only one great lake. I have only been over the bridge once in horrible conditions and was white knuckling most of it to really enjoy any of the beauty.

Our girls will be 8,6,and 5 when we go the first part of July. Kid friendly things would be awesome, we would also love to site see and maybe have a date night or two as we are bringing my parents along.

Open for any suggestions! Hotel suggestions would be awesome too! Nothing too fancy as we want to spend most of our time out doing things.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• marasw
    marasw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love the porcupine mountains! There are a lot of beautiful waterfalls there and the view of Lake Superior is amazing. Speaking of waterfalls, Tahquamenon Falls are a great destination as well. Mackinaw Island is a nice way to spend a day or two. How about Sleeping Bear sand dunes? :) Out of curiosity, what part of Michigan are you in? I'm in southwest MI so "up north" is the big attraction for me.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    The west side of the state is great for a hot mid-summer family vacation. I would recommend Bear Lake. I also love the dunes, but maybe save that for when the kids are a bit older. :)

Here's a link: http://www.michigan.org/michigan-travel-ideas/
  • topp35
    topp35 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Ive been to the sleeping bear dunes when I was younger and I remember it was alot of fun. Im from southwest MI, my family travels every summer but we usually go south bc there really isn't much to see in MI. If we do something in MI its usually just for a weekend and we take our daughters to an indoor water park/hotel..in fact we just went to one last weekend in mt pleasant. Have u ever been to Frankinmouth? That was fun. Alot of little shops...they have an indoor water park/hotel...a huge Christmas store that was amazing! ! We had a really good time up there:)
  • ilovehlloktty
    ilovehlloktty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm from Jackson, Michigan but I currently live in Rives Junction, Michigan which is like smack dab in the middle of southern Michigan.

We go to Frankenmuth once a year around Thanksgiving with the whole family and make a day of it.

Northern Michigan is kind of the area we want to be.

Thanks for all the suggestions!