why do I lose when I stop working out?

So, I recently got married and with the buildup to that and the honeymoon and the bronchitis I got on the honeymoon I have not exercised other than leisurely walks in at least a month, possibly more.

This morning I stepped on the scale and found I've lost 3 pounds in the week and a half since we've been back from the beach.

What gives? I feel like I've been at a plateau for MONTHS, and finally when I stop actually making an effort the scale starts to move. I don't understand.

Replies

• lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    The same thing happened to me at the beginning of my diet. I was working out and seemed to be stuck. I stopped exercising and just focused on my eating habits and I started losing weight consistently. Maybe we retain less water when we don't work out? Your guess is as good as mine!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    The same thing happened to me at the beginning of my diet. I was working out and seemed to be stuck. I stopped exercising and just focused on my eating habits and I started losing weight consistently. Maybe we retain less water when we don't work out? Your guess is as good as mine!

DING-DING-DING!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    I think it comes down to tricking your system.

For example, I like to calorie cycle when I feel like my weight loss has plateaued. Like I will restrict for three or four days and than in one day I'll bump up my calories by a few hundred. I always start losing again after that. Also, if you exercise a lot like me and take a few days off it gives your body a chance to heal and re-set itself, kind of tricking it into thinking it doesn't have to burn up as much on a daily basis so your system changes. Other little things I do to trick myself and lose more weight are like once in a while I eat a whole bunch of fiber (cereal/popcorn) or whatever right before I go to bed. I almost always wake up a few ounces lighter after that. I guess you just have to keep your system/digestion/metabolism guessing as your body gets used to the same routine and settles in after a while. I hope this helps.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Water retention is a big part of it.

But I also see your goal is 1200...do you eat back some of your exercise calories?

If not, that is another reason why. You need to eat those back.
  • when you work out, the tiny tears you cause in your muscles (which cause the cramps and achiness), they retain water while they're healing. However, when you stop working out, you lose muscle mass at first. you'll lose a little weight and then genuinely start losing weight again after that, I would say don't work out for a while, lose a bunch of weight, and then start working out again to tone your body up again.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    1. Consistently eat in a caloric deficit.
    2. Drink plenty of water.
    3. Get adequate sleep.
    4. Try to keep stressing to a minimum -- excessive amounts can produce cortisol which has been shown to be associated with weight gain.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member

DING-DING-DING!

Yep, water weight.
  • betsyr13
    betsyr13 Posts: 45 Member
    Yes, I do eat back some of my exercise calories when working out.
  • mschicagocubs
    Don't stop working out like someone suggested. It is never too early to start weight lifting .....
  • mschicagocubs

Okay! Just for the record, you could have a higher goal than 1200. I eat 1700 a day.
  • betsyr13

Okay! Just for the record, you could have a higher goal than 1200. I eat 1700 a day.

I want that to be true, but I don't seem to lose at that level. You're probably correct, generally speaking. All of the calculators I consult tell me that I should be able to eat that much and still lose. I'm 35 years old, 5'6", and currently weigh 178. I have been down as low as about 150, but that was seven years ago. I'm trying to get back there, however long it takes.

My dad (who is about 5'9") had his RMR tested in a lab at his local hospital as a part of a weight loss program he was doing. It was around 1600. I know that's low for a man. They had him on a 1200 calorie plan, walking for exercise, and he lost about 40 pounds.

I fear I may have inherited his low metabolism in addition to his passionate love of peanut butter and fried chicken.

I know 1200 seems really low for someone my height and I theoretically should be able to eat more than that, but it hasn't worked very well for me in the past. I can eat about 1500 and still lose if I am exercising. I am just curious about this latest episode of no exercise and suddenly starting to lose weight after such a long period of no loss at all.

Maybe I have been more careful about tracking my food intake over the past several weeks. Maybe it's the water retention factor. I don't know. As soon as this bronchitis goes away, I would like to get back into running, swimming, and lifting weights. I just hope it doesn't mean I automatically put back on the few pounds I finally lost.
  • betsyr13
    Bump for the Saturday crowd.
  • betsyr13
    The Friday crowd already gave you the right answer, water.
    What answer are you looking for?

Well excuse the **** out of me. I just wondered if anyone had other ideas.
  • betsyr13

I didn't know I was supposed to trust your opinion as the final word of the all knowing almighty. Geez..
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Ten years ago, I was in great shape and working out regularly. Then I got pneumonia and was unable to work out. I had a very bad case and was pretty much bedridden. Going down 1 flight of stairs was a major endeavor. In one month, I lost 7 pounds, even though I was eating about the same! But I took my measurements...they were all the same or a little bigger and I had gotten flabby. I'm no medical expert, but I'm pretty sure it is because I lost muscle mass.
  • sage_444
    sage_444 Posts: 10 Member
    Maybe there are some helpful answers for you at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less ... your plateau at 1200 a day could be from metabolic damage, and maybe giving your body a break let it realize it doesn't have to hold onto all the fat?

It's probably the water weight but I mean, this might be helpful in terms of your low cal intake nonetheless, despite the genetics. Why lose at super low calories, and maybe hurt your body, if there might be a way to lose at higher calories?
  • betsyr13

I didn't know I was supposed to trust your opinion as the final word of the all knowing almighty. Geez..
    And here we go.

What are you even talking about?