My new job is sabatoging me!!!

Options
Help! I've made sooo much progress over the past couple of months but I lost all motivation. I'm constantly tired from work and constantly bombarded with free food!!! I know that it might be more difficult to find the balance in the beginning but I find myself willing to give up easier and not caring about any of my fitness/weight loss goals. I'm really struggling. Any tips on how you can deal with an unhealthy environment? And how do you keep your motivation up long term???

Replies

• SelkathNuggets
    SelkathNuggets Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna throw all kinds of advice at you, hopefully something sticks :)

Try putting a sign on your desk saying "No food, please". If asked about it, explain your perfectly legitimate efforts to control what you eat. It could even be a conversation starter to meet like-minded people.

Make LOTS of pre-made meals at home when you have time (likely weekends). Make lots of dinners in advance, portable lunches if you're ambitious. Food's easier to make in bulk, and when you get home after a long day heating up food that's already prepared is pretty easy.
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options

Try putting a sign on your desk saying "No food, please". If asked about it, explain your perfectly legitimate efforts to control what you eat. It could even be a conversation starter to meet like-minded people.

Make LOTS of pre-made meals at home when you have time (likely weekends). Make lots of dinners in advance, portable lunches if you're ambitious. Food's easier to make in bulk, and when you get home after a long day heating up food that's already prepared is pretty easy.

Lmaooooo at the sign!!!! My co workers know I'm watching what I eat. They're not really the culprits. We get drug reps who bring food all the time and nurses are always buying food for everyone. Actually just yesterday someone walked in looking for ketchup and said "figured I should ask you guys cause you always have free food.." (Yes we did have ketchup to supply her lol).

I always pack my lunch but when faced with decision of my salad or the Mexican food you can imagine which I chose.

Lastly...it's the working out I feel most guilty about. I try to work out at least twice a week. This week it didn't happen so I feel guilty. Not only was I eating everything in sight but I wasn't working out! :sad:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I love the sign idea!!! Its great. Its a way to get your point across and let people know so maybe they won't make the extra food so available to you!I like that idea!!

And of coarse, yes bring your own pre planned meals and snacks.

I work in a huge office on Fridays, there's 52 people on the floor. So there's donuts, muffins, and everything else. And yes I.sometimes give in. But I often think to myself, will this old stale looking donut really be worth it, or should I save these calories for a treat at the end of my week???? And I usually end up saying no to the office donut and move on with my day. After a while, your co workers will notice and start to ask questions. Explain it to them, it might help them understand and want to live more healthy themselves. Just yesterday I explained iifym to a group of ladies that had never heard about it before!!!! So you might actually help someone, as well as make better choices for yourself
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too and some days I do better than others. Our patients bring us tons of baked goods and my coworkers eat junkfood all day long. You can make a poor food decision around every turn. I have such a hard time avoiding sweets when I'm tired and stressed. I do a lot of cooking on Sundays so that I have good lunches at work. I bring two snacks for the day. I also take a walk right after I eat because it seems like everyone spends the last half hour of lunch eating cake, cookies and chips. Getting out of the break room at that time has definitely cut my snacking.
  • Turtlesallthewaydown
    Turtlesallthewaydown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I always wait until the food has been picked over and then think of all the unwashed hands and germs floating around. If you wait until it's cold or unappealing looking you could probably resist it better. If someone offers me food I go "Yeah, I'll come get some after I finish this thing I'm working on..." Then just continue to work. Or "No food in my workspace, please" because of spills, crumbs, etc.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Or maybe something even more(?) homourous?

do_not_feed_the_animals__they_re_stuffed_sign_55d167bf.jpg
  • AwnoldVA
    AwnoldVA Posts: 5
    Options
    I especially make sure I eat breakfast before I go into work or bring in an extra clementine (or two) on days we get free food in the mornings. If we're getting free food for lunch, I'm snacking throughout the morning so when lunch hits, I'm not hungry. A protein shake usually is sufficient for me.

By the time I'm hungry, I'm grossed out at the scraps that are leftover so I end up not eating the free food in which I case I then pull out my packed lunch.
  • arwacky
    Options
    Or maybe something even more(?) homourous?

do_not_feed_the_animals__they_re_stuffed_sign_55d167bf.jpg

:laugh: that's cute!!
  • arwacky
    Options
    I especially make sure I eat breakfast before I go into work or bring in an extra clementine (or two) on days we get free food in the mornings. If we're getting free food for lunch, I'm snacking throughout the morning so when lunch hits, I'm not hungry. A protein shake usually is sufficient for me.

By the time I'm hungry, I'm grossed out at the scraps that are leftover so I end up not eating the free food in which I case I then pull out my packed lunch.

Great ideas!!! I'll have to try them. :smile:
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of overtime at workplace,sometimes it reached until 7-9pm,especially on the 3rd to 4th week of every month,just to prepare financial reports that were necessary by the management. By end of the day, I would be so exhausted and had a painful back shoulder due to the stress. I still managed to find time to do workout of at least 45mins, 4-5 times a week.

Try to do workout during lunch break, if possible at the nearest gym that you can get. Most of time, free foods were easily available because my colleagues love to eat..mostly fried noodles, rice with fried chicken, potatoes patty,fritters,etc.

There were times foods (high carbs) were fully occupied on an empty table behind me. The temptation to fight in not eating that had to be strong,but I managed to disciplined myself to fight the temptation ;-)

I always bring fruits as a healthy choice to snack between meals. Sometimes I prefer to skip breakfast, by just drinking water / green tea until afternoon, after done gym workout at lunch break :-)
  • pandagirl813
    pandagirl813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I always pack my lunch but when faced with decision of my salad or the Mexican food you can imagine which I chose.

Lastly...it's the working out I feel most guilty about. I try to work out at least twice a week. This week it didn't happen so I feel guilty. Not only was I eating everything in sight but I wasn't working out! :sad:

New plan then. Cram the salad in as fast as you can, then run around the block or until your lunch break is over. Have a 1 person dance party. Do 50 push-ups/crunches. Or if your a quiet person just keep some 5 pound dumbbells under your desk/in your locker and use them till your arms are about to fall off.
  • WorkInProgress323
    Options
    We get drug reps who bring food all the time and nurses are always buying food for everyone.

I think we work in the same office!!!!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Workout in the morning before you get ready for work. Sorry I where I work, we are required to stay on the premises so noone is leaving to pick up treats - it's pretty easy to stay on track food wise but occassionally we have a "potluck" lunch at work - I dread those days because regardless of how hard you try to stay on track the calories always add up to being more than you think :(
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    My workplace is the same. There is so much crap food lying on top of the filing cabinets. People bring in cakes and cookies to mark *any* occasion. Birthday, birthday of offspring, going to leave, returning from vacation, promotion, x years at the department, project completed on time, even resignations. Birthday cake I get, but resignation cake?

If I partake, I stick to tiny one bite portions. Sticking to a tiny portion means you have a little think about whether the next bite is really worth the calories.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Hmm...your salad or the mexican food question?

Both.

Grab a taco, go back to your seat..eat the salad (or most of it) and then if you're still hungry or want it..eat that taco. You should be full by then. I feel like this works..for me anyway. If there is something yummy in the house and I want it...I try to just make a deal with myself that I will eat A and if I still want the less than healthy thing, I can have it. Sometimes I go for it, and sometimes whatever I ate filled me up enough to not want the temptation.

But this is just me.. when I deny myself something completely, I go crazyyy. If you can fit just a small bit of the free food into your day, make it happen!

Oh..and by the way..I work in a RESTAURANT, and its still hard every day not to grab a handful of french fries every time I walk through the ktichen. Or, a nice slice of bread and butter. Or a handful of walnuts from the salad station. Or, a pickle from the bain marie.
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    Sleep! Are you getting enough? I find that, if I don't get enough sleep, all my good intentions and motivation go down the tubes when faced with temptations... of all kinds :devil:
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

Lmaooooo at the sign!!!! My co workers know I'm watching what I eat. They're not really the culprits. We get drug reps who bring food all the time and nurses are always buying food for everyone. Actually just yesterday someone walked in looking for ketchup and said "figured I should ask you guys cause you always have free food.." (Yes we did have ketchup to supply her lol).

it can be hard to choose the healthy option when faced with something tasty like Mexican food, I guess that's where discipline and willpower come in to play. if it fits into your daily allotment, go for it. if not maybe you could pass on it and have it another time? I know that if I am craving something I will try to fit it in to my diet somewhere down the line and savor it

what types of workouts do you enjoy doing? make it as fun or interesting as possible. if you like punching and kicking ****, get a heavy bag and hang it up somewhere or clear a space and do tae-bo. I know you hate the idea of running, but perhaps if you got yourself going you might start to enjoy it(lol)

lastly, motivation comes from within. you have to want it. think of why you started getting healthier and try to reinforce that within yourself. and if you have that tub of ice cream or skip out on a workout, it is what it is... try your best not to feel guilty about it. guilt is a very negative, and heavy emotion. life's too short for an emotion so heavy.
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My workplace keeps a supply of various coffees, tea, sodas, sobe/vitamin water type drinks, chocolate, chips, fiber one & nutri-grain bars, instant oatmeal, and jack links products on hand. They also have filtered water dispensers, and once every couple of weeks, they stock up on fresh fruit (bananas, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums, mandarin/clementines, and kiwi fruit, depending on availability.

I admit, I fell into the 'grab some M&Ms or snack size Hershey's' habit when I started. But last year, when I started actually trying to clean up my act and not over consume anymore, it was easier than I thought. I keep gum at my desk, which helps. When I see the chocolate, I think of the Skinny Cow stuff I have at home, and recommit to myself that I want to save chocolate as a treat for the end of the day. I take advantage of the fruit, (I typically bring some from home, but I'll eat the fruit they brought in and save mine for later.) If it's a really bad day, I'll grab a bite of chocolate, but limit myself to one.

And I record it all. I even keep a small scale at my desk to weigh fruit before I eat it (since I weigh the other stuff I bring at home when I make it/portion it out.)

It can be difficult. But it is worth it. I think having the scale helps. It's actually right in front of one of my computer monitors (I'm looking at it as I type this) right next to a pack of gum. It's a little thing, but it helps.

One of the things that helps here, is that there are a lot of people who are into fitness. We have a couple of people who either are, or are on their way to becoming, cross fit instructors. One of my teammates used to be a personal trainer. They have plans to build a small gym during one of the expansion plans (although this has been planned for over a year and a half, and keeps getting pushed back as we run out of places for people to actually work. It's a growing company.) They actually do some work with some of the smart scales and fitness trackers (I missed out on being part of a fitbit testing group for a product, but that's ok. It was worth it to me to buy one for myself, especially after seeing the success other co-workers had with it).

My co-workers support my endeavors (I keep my progress on my white board - one more place to keep me accountable) and we sometimes share ideas. (I never even thought to use chopped cauliflower in place of rice before I spoke to a co-worker who did it. I might try it this week when we are scheduled to have beef tips in gravy over rice. Another co-worker said she'd bring me a serving of spagetti with spagetti squash instead of pasta so I can try it, next time she makes it.)

I guess the biggest recommendation, is to slowly try to get your teammates working with you on making healthier choices, and to give in once in a while. Have a tiny piece of cake/cupcake/cookie and then move on to the carrots. :)

Good luck
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I also have a job that provides candy, donuts, cake and lunches on a regular basis. I also have coworkers who love to order food or go out for lunch. The candy bowl is within my line of sight all day.

I bring my lunch with me every day and (usually) politely refuse anything I'm offered. If I do partake I log it as accurately as I can and move on. To be honest, watching overweight coworkers come back to the candy bowl 2-4 times a day for empty calories has really turned me off of chocolate. I snack, don't get me wrong, but on things I really enjoy and they are planned into my day.

The only advice I really have to offer is "don't eat it." You're the only one who can sabotage your efforts.
  • arwacky
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! Everyone had great ideas and I really appreciate it. I'll be trying most of them. It's just hard to get that balance at first but I'm sure it'll just take time. Thanks again!!! :flowerforyou: