HELP! Flat stomach?

Options
Hi guys!
So I'm 147 pounds i was 154 beginning of January!
I only started jogging around a month and half a go. Was wondering how will i get a flat stomach and toned legs (theigh gap) by August? I have seen a reall big difference alreayd bu thow will i shed pounds quicker?
If anyone has any tips and tricks please comment!

Replies

• Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not sure when you can expect a flat tummy and thigh gap.

I reached my goal weight and still don't have either! Embrace your body's changes...

Mine has certainly improved but still have a lot of toning to do that has little to do with my weight on the scales..
  • AbbieGodfrey
    Options
    Its so difficult!
    I would love a bikini body well at least a more toned stomach for when i go away in August!
    I have cut all crappy foods out and only stuck with healthy foods and normal dinners ut i only eat 1300 cals or under a day and burn at least 300 cals a day
  • iseeakendall
    iseeakendall Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on your progress! But to your question, what I've read and heard suggests that stomach fat goes away when you burn overall fat, but by adding in strength training you'll burn more calories and have toned muscle underneath so when the fat is burnt off you'll be toned. I've seen skinny people with fairly round stomachs so I highly suggest working on those muscles! The running will absolutely build leg muscle but it never hurts to add in strength-training. Everything I've heard recommends mixing up cardio with weight training. If you have some $ to drop the Insanity workouts are HARD but effective as long as you're doing the exercises properly. And of course, diet is extremely important. An article in Oprah my mom read decided that you can't out-exercise a bad diet. Make sure you're getting enough nutrients, water, and protein (especially necessary as an athlete!) without overdoing it and you'll be fine. If you notice you've plateaued, as will happen, change it up. Add intervals, bike instead.. Our bodies adapt. In a weight-lifting class I took my instructor taught us to change up the workout every 3 months if we are consistently sticking to one.

Oi, that's a lot. I know most of that is the stuff you'll read repeatedly but it's for good reason. And again, congrats and good luck! What you've done is already an incredible feat so don't be down on yourself if you aren't seeing the results you want as quickly as desired.
  • dreams4sale
    Options
    It looks like you are the same height as me, I'm 5'5" and currently 118.6 and don't have a "flat" tummy. I still have some fat on top of my abs, and I have "toned" legs but I tend to carry most of my weight in the upper half of my body and lose it in my lower half first. If you don't already do strength training I would start, it helped me lose fat a little faster than with just cardio.
  • AbbieGodfrey
    Options
    Thank you for you good info! Ill take that to consideration!

Yes im 5ft5!
    I do strenght training i do pull ups, crunches, squats, weights, sit ups, crisscross, crossover, heel toe and leg raises so i do alot ahaha
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Enough about this stupid "thigh gap" thing already.
  • AbbieGodfrey
    Options
    Enough about this stupid "thigh gap" thing already.

FYI i do not mean them model theigh gaps i mean them little ones that curvy women have.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hey hey chica. Try Blogilates!! She's got fantastic workouts for your abs, thighs, and butt.

Watch this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xXOu-DtTE4

Then do these in order:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCg_gh_fppI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOKsHrvPNVk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYA_tmos1-4

If you want more tips, add me as a friend.

But let me give you advice -- don't put a time limit on things. There's no shortcuts to true fitness. Be healthy, be happy, and have fun doing it. You won't only have the body you've dreamed of after hard work, you will feel great too.

For more answers this is the perfect thread for all beginners;
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

:) Good luck!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    A thigh gap is all genetics I'm afraid

A flat stomach can be worked on. Go gradually harder in your resistance training! Add more weight, do more reps and maybe look into free weight exercises with a barbell.

And eat back your exercise calories!!!
    It sounded like you eat 1300 and burn 300 giving you a net of 1000... eat those 300 back.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Time to get your *kitten* under the barbell.

pretty much this, worry less about the weight. Read up on some good weight training programs. Starting strength and strong lifts 5x5 are what I use, but I hear good things about New Rules of Lifting for Women as well.

Also, read up:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach?hl=so+you+want+a+flat+stomach
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=path+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Eat at a moderate (not extreme), deficit and lift heavy free weights. Look into Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength for a lifting program. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a recommended read as well. Combine that with 20-30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week and that should give you the best results. Whether you'll get the specifics you are looking for depends at least partly on your body as well, so be prepared for that as well.

Also, check this out to see what can happen in a fairly short amount of time on a good lifting program 3x per week and eating right. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1241092-update-pics-to-another-heavy-lifting-nsv
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    That is one of those things either you have it or you don't, its in your genes....
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If she wants a thigh gap, then weight lifting isn't the way to go, I'd say.

In fact, most forms of 'being healthy' as far as fitness go are going to hinder that - though a big part of it is genetics.

If she wanted a flat tummy and a 'toned' fitness model look however, then I'd certainly advise starting strength or similar.

Whatever, it is going to require a bit of time to get the tummy really flat, from what I've seen - and again, genetics will play a part too.
  • AbbieGodfrey
    Options
    That is one of those things either you have it or you don't, its in your genes....

Not a BIG theigh gap the ones that curvy people have
  • Ryan_Reborn
    Options
    SQUATS , DEADLIFTS, COMPOUND EXERCISESS !!!!

NUTRIENT DENSE FOOD AND MEAL PLANNING , RESEARCH INTERMITTENT FASTING!

SQUATS!!

STAY UNDER YOUR MACRO's , IIFYM ( If it fits your macros ) EAT THAT ****, DON'T SET YOURSELF UP FOR FAILURE BY STARVING OR EATING ****TY FOOD AND JUMP STARTIN THOSE CRAVINGS

GET AT LEAST 8 HOURS OF REST

SQUATS!

TRAIN INSANE OR REMAIN THE SAME
    MUSCLES AREN'T MADE INTHE GYM, THEY'RE MADE IN THE KITCHEN!!

DID I MENTION SQUATS??!
    ( FORM for FUNCTIONALITY AND RESULTS )
    variations if you're not ready to do the lift with proper form, also deadlifts. These 2 exercises are so key and I find they get neglected for either being too hard or people just don't like doing legs for some reason. Another thing is these 2 exercises alone will get you an amazing stomach if done correctly . ( tempo, form, weight, rest times )

Msg me if you want any info or add me up!
    GOOD LUCK

AND TO ALSO ADD,

FIND HIIT ( high intensity interval training ) programs, you can incorporate these a couple weeks with weight training.
    Theirs lots of stuff

And patience = ) it will come if the efforts there .
  • AbbieGodfrey
    Options

SQUATS!!

STAY UNDER YOUR MACRO's , IIFYM ( If it fits your macros ) EAT THAT ****, DON'T SET YOURSELF UP FOR FAILURE BY STARVING OR EATING ****TY FOOD AND JUMP STARTIN THOSE CRAVINGS

SQUATS!

DID I MENTION SQUATS??!
    variations if you're not ready to do the lift with proper form, also deadlifts. These 2 exercises are so key and I find they get neglected for either being too hard or people just don't like doing legs for some reason.

GOOD LUCK

Thank you :)
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options

SQUATS!!

SQUATS!

DID I MENTION SQUATS??!
    variations if you're not ready to do the lift with proper form, also deadlifts. These 2 exercises are so key and I find they get neglected for either being too hard or people just don't like doing legs for some reason.

GOOD LUCK
    Lol dude you are hype as ****.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Thigh GAP!!! Are you serious. Only necessary for SPONGEBOB!!! That is one of those things either you have it or you don't, its in your genes....

Not a BIG theigh gap the ones that curvy people have

can you post a picture of what you are describing?

because this gif here shows how the thigh gap is mostly on your posture.

tumblr_mm2wxj90QX1r00swto1_400.gif