Anyone else eats texturized soy (meat substitute)?

Options
kjo9692
kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
I've always bought Bio Land's texturized soy, but just started paying attention to the macros and calories.

It says it has 53 g of protein and 1 g of fat per 100 g of the product. This should add up to 221 calories per 100 g. But it says that it has 120 calories per 100 g of product. What the heck? So should I believe it has that amount of protein, therefore 221 calories (and not 120 calories like they suggest)? Or that it has 120 calories per 100 g of product, thus less protein than they say it has?

:huh:

Replies

• smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    How much fiber does it have? They often deduct fiber grams from carbs, which deducts from the overall calories (Quest bars do this, for example)
  • kjo9692
    Options
    It has 18 g of fiber, is it that? That would make sense! But it doesn't say how many grams of carbs it has.

ETA: However, if it does have carbs, still counting proteins and fats only it should have more calories than the ones they say it has. This is weird. I'm sending a complaint letter LOL.
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    Hi kjo9692;

Perhaps they mean 100g weighed after being reconstituted with hot water has 120 calories? Not very honest marketing, but that does happen.

Most TVP products are about 50% protein, 20% fiber and 10% sugars, with negligible fat. Roughly 250kcal per 100g dry.

I hope you get an explanation from Bio Land.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm an ova-lacto veg, and I do use meat substitutes. I tend to use Quorn (non-soy, and they're excellent) more than anything else, but that's because I try to avoid GMO foods and it's hard to find soy that isn't GMO. I've also noticed some problems with both myself and my daughter when we eat too much soy.

Everyone is different though.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat the Wegmans brand. They do have carbs but not too many.
  • kjo9692
    Options
    Hi kjo9692;

Perhaps they mean 100g weighed after being reconstituted with hot water has 120 calories? Not very honest marketing, but that does happen.

Most TVP products are about 50% protein, 20% fiber and 10% sugars, with negligible fat. Roughly 250kcal per 100g dry.

I hope you get an explanation from Bio Land.

That does make sense. Yes, it is not honest marketing at all. Not really worried about the calories but it's really awesome to know it has so much protein per 100 g, however I wanted to confirm if it's true that they do have 53 g of protein per 100 g of dry product. Maybe the calories are based on 100 g of wet product. I'll just take it as if it has more or less 221 calories. Thanks!
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Bacon?
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm an ova-lacto veg, and I do use meat substitutes. I tend to use Quorn (non-soy, and they're excellent) more than anything else, but that's because I try to avoid GMO foods and it's hard to find soy that isn't GMO. I've also noticed some problems with both myself and my daughter when we eat too much soy.

Everyone is different though.

^^^ This. My wife is a veg and I'm the cook... therefore... I eat many veg meals too. Quorn, in my humble opinion, is the best meat substitute out there. It's also not soy based. And with my meat eating taste buds... it actually tastes good.