So today...

Options
I had a little victory. Two weeks ago when i started exercising again after a long break, i could only jog for TWO MINUTES yes two minutes without having to stop and walk. Like 2 mins jog, 2 mins walk, 2mins jog, etc. Today after 2 weeks of regular gym going I could manage 6 minutes at a stretch,

...does this mean...

I am making progress?

Also, is it really going to be this slow? I am not even technically 'overweight', is this normal?

Replies

• 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! It'll pick up faster than you realise. When I first started running a few years ago I couldn't run for a full minute without having to stop. A few months later I was regularly doing 5k runs without stopping :)
    If you stick at it the results will follow!
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is progress!

Running is hard! It's getting the breathing right you don't get a stitch, that's what I struggled with. I can now run (jog, really) for 25 mins without breaking into a walk. It's taken me a month. I sing when I jog, I might look like a weirdo but it helps me control my breathing and pace myself. I also stopped clock-watching, made me enjoy it more and go at a more sensible pace.

Keep at it, it does get easier.
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's progress...anything that is moving you towards your goal is progress. The speed of progress may vary from person to person. So well done!

Quick question - do you think jogging at a spot is effective for weight loss? The reason I ask is that I am currently living in a hotel and can't use hotel gym as I have my 3 year old daughter with me.
  • C3001
    C3001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You are definitely making progress. So... I can't find the source for what I'm about to say... But, I found it extremely helpful and hope you do as well! It takes 6-9 minutes for your body to "adjust" to a run each and every time.

Background: I ran a marathon at 29 having never ran in my life. I was a dancer so somewhat active but had never even ran a mile without stopping previous. Trained for a year and read lots of articles and journals regarding the topic of distance running.

Anectodal-- I ran as you did for 1-2 weeks at a time depending on how comfortable I was when I began. Run 1, walk 1... Run 2, walk 1... Run 3, walk 1. Sure enough, I learned that once my body hit 8 minutes into a run then I could run "forever" at my comfortable pace (I too learned by doing the sing/talk test). I found my comfort point! After I hit 8 minute intervals then I started counting by mileage. Running 1 mile at a time with a 3 minute walk between. Running 1.5 mile the following week... 2 miles the next week, etc. Once I hit 3 miles then the sky was the limit. I followed a marathon training plan and done I was. ;). That said, the talk test is important to manage your pace. Once you can run the goal distance then worry about speed/interval training (IMO).

I loved runnung at the time. Unfortunately, I reinjured an old knee injury. Now, though, I am better and dancing again although running still freaks me out.