Cheap Exercising Solutions?

Options
So the only form of exercise that I can access is my dads old exercise bike, a stationary one. I try to use it as much as possible but it is very loud and very uncomfortable!
Are there any cheap solutions to exercise to lose weight?

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    download exercise dvds or look in charity shops, you could also run up and down your stairs or just the bottom step for a way to get your heart going. bit icy outside for road running though lol
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'll suggest Exercise TV they have tons of free workouts you can do online.... that is where I found Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVDs....its a nice low impact cardio workout
  • hollyclark96
    hollyclark96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thank you both, i think i have some old dvds lying around somewhere :D
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    walking, climbing stairs, exercise videos online, and if you need weights, just use full cans of juice/fruit/beans etc....... there are plenty of cheap options for exercising,
  • billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There's plenth of exercises in the press up and sit up no equipment required range. I personally cycle outside during the better seasons but use a exercise bike during the winter months. Oil the mechanism and working parts and your bum will harden to the seat.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Skipping, with or without the rope. You can do the motions without a rope and get your heart rate up there. Also jumping jacks are good for that too and will work the outer stabilizer muscles in your legs. The outside of my thighs and calves kill me after a good round alternating those two.
  • mishmush21
    mishmush21 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can always do laps around the mall. :) Thats free!
    And also, its not to cold here in Texas, its a blistery 78 degrees outside! :)
    I ran last night in shorts and a T shirt!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You could always do a circuit using the old bike. Do a set amount of time on the bike then hop off and do some other exercise (jumping jacks, weights, push ups), then get back on etc. Get creative and mix it up. You don't need dvd's and a ton of equipment.
  • ropedancer
    Options
    If you're interested in exercise DVDs, have you thought about checking your library? My library doesn't have any exercise DVDs, but they can order them from nearby libraries, giving me access to over 200 DVDs. A lot of libraries will let you check them out for free, but some do have a $1 a week charge (typically goes towards replacing scratched up DVDs). My library has a two week loan period, but you can renew it if you want to keep it for four.

If you prefer to own, I would suggest half.com. This works really well for me because I also sell on half.com. I'll pick up a couple $1 DVDs (plus shipping) and then sell them when I'm sick of them. Only suggestion here is to research the DVDs before you buy them. half.com is pretty bare bones. It doesn't have reviews, which can have important information such as skill level and required equipment (such as a mat or hand weights).
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have my exercise bike right in front of the tv... if I watch, I also pedal. If its too noisy... try using headphones. I would get way too bored if I didn't have the tv while I exercise.
  • deborahkidd
    deborahkidd Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    walking is very cheap and very effective, do a 4 mph pace and maybe try to run some intervals to get your heart rate up.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    You can get a killer workout on an exercise bike in about 10-20 minutes using intervals. Warm-up for 5 minutes increasing the intensity over the 5 min period. Don't go past about a 5 on a scale of 1-10. Once you've done warming up increase to about an 8 for 1 minute, then slow down to about a 4 for 2 minutes, then back up to an 8 for another minute, cycling between the two and then cool-down with 5 minutes at a very low intensity. When I say intensity from 1-10 I mean on a personal exertion scale of 1-10 also known as an RPE(Rate of Perceived Exertion) scale.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    That's a beginner interval. I could give other ideas depending on fitness level. I stole that one from a program actually.