Feet and Running

Options
beatnik236
beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
So sandal and flip flop season is coming and for the past year and 1/2 that I started running, my feet have gotten UGLY! black toes (sometimes), toenails falling off. My feet have gotten so ugly that I don't want to go get a pedicure. lol. (and I have to admit that with probable "openings" on my feet I am afraid to stick my feet into a (probable) germ infested foot bath at a salon)
How do you girls (and guys) keep your feet looking good?

Replies

• rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me as though your shoes are causing foot problems. Maybe they're the wrong size or the wrong type, even if they're a very good brand. Properly fit shoes for your body and feet, as well as the kind of running you do shouldn't cause that at all.

Please go to a dedicated running store, and have someone there go through things with you. If you have done that, then there's something else happening that you should probably see a doctor for.

I run 5-7 miles per day, either outside in good weather or in the halls of my school when the kids are gone, and have not had any problems such as you're describing since I was fit by a competent person at a dedicated store, rather than the kids at the big box sporting goods stores (which, unfortunately, all too often includes Foot Locker).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i had a choice to either become a foot model, or a runner. i made the right choice.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need a bigger pair of shoes, and some nail polish!

I got fitted at a running store- those shoes didn't work for me so it's not an end all be all. I had several people recommend to me www.roadrunnersports.com I used their shoe selector and have been very happy with the pair I have now. And they have a 90 day return policy.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    WHOA! I only run between 15-20 miles per week but I have never had problems like that.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    As crazy as it sounds, out of the 6 yrs that I've been running (60-100)mi a week, I've never had any toenail issues. (knocks on wood). I've had some big blisters after some 30 milers but nothing serious. I think it could be a shoe issue. Worth it to go to a running store and have them analyze your foot, running form and pick up a new pair of shoes. It could also be a shoe size or width issue. This is just what I would do if I was having those issues.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think you need a 1/2 size or full size bigger shoes?
    Maybe better ones, not sure what you have. Maybe a wider toe area?

For me I use nail polish and lots of Vanicream-cream.
    An occasional foot soak.
    GOOD flip flops with arch support or my feet-legs-back hurt and then can't run.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Buy your running shoes 1/2 size larger than your street shoes. Problem solved.
  • beatnik236
    Options
    I have done all of the above. I guess I will just suffer with ugly feet.
  • MsJourno
    MsJourno Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Are your feet slipping forward? Have you tried different lacing?
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about a year and have had no problems as you describe. I have heard that it is rather common. I guess I am lucky. The worst I had was letting a toenail grow a bit too long and it cut into an adjacent toe, an easy remedy.

It may be worthwhile getting another fitting, it can't hurt :drinker:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt soaks
    Gold Bond powder on the feet and in the shoe before runs
    Gold Bond foot lotion before bed
    Pumice stone
    Larger shoes
    Good quality socks (I swear by the Asics Hydrology 3-packs), and toss them when they aren't soft anymore
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's a shoe/sock problem. My toenails were bruising because my shoes were too small, even though they "fit". As soon as I was fitted, the problem went away.
  • beatnik236
    Options

I do feel like that they slip forward. I haven't tried different lacing. I already went up a full size in shoes which helped the toe crowding a lot.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How much are you running? I was running quite a bit last year and only had one minor toe nail issue. Your toes shouldn't even be rubbing so I think you need either new shoes or new size.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

I do feel like that they slip forward. I haven't tried different lacing. I already went up a full size in shoes which helped the toe crowding a lot.
    full size may be too big causing your whole foot to go forward, you should have ample toe room but no slipping
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need a bigger pair of shoes, and some nail polish!

I got fitted at a running store- those shoes didn't work for me so it's not an end all be all. I had several people recommend to me www.roadrunnersports.com I used their shoe selector and have been very happy with the pair I have now. And they have a 90 day return policy.

a brick & mortar that has a great return policy too is Sport Chalet, if you join their Action Pass club thing (free) you get 60 or 90 days (I forget) even if you wear them out on a run - or several - and decide they don't work for you. So if you have one of those around and don't want to hassle with shipping and such, that's another option.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Check this out: Katie Runs This shoe lacing techniques - http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If your a runner you don't have good feet that's just it I'm afraid. Keep your toenails short and make sure your shoes fit correctly will minimise it but in the long term if you run you'll never be a foot model. I at present have 4 partially black toenails and one that was very bloody after yesterdays hard trail run. So foot model or runner you decide ;-)