Not losing a lick

Options
Ok. So, I've been weight training 7x a week and cardio 3x a week for 5 weeks and I've lost not one pound. At one point I was down a pound and then my weight went up again. It fluctuates between 1-4lbs. I'm trying not to be frustrated. Really trying. I'm counting calories, weighing my food and I've calculated my TDEE and I under for the week to where I should at least be dropping a 1/2 pound which is what my goal is. Now, before you guys start saying well your diary isn't open so I can't tell you what may be going on, that's fine. I just some general ideas on why my weight is not moving. If you don't have any suggestions, that's fine too. :)

I try to watch my sodium intake (try to be under 1500mg) daily. Of course there are days I go over that and I can see the fluctuation on the scale from that with water retention. But can I really be gaining so much muscle that I'm not losing? I'm not lifting inordinate amounts of weight. I'm more toning. So, not sure why my weight is not moving!!!

Thanks a lot!!

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you don't have a whole lot to lose, it will take more time. Are you eating exercise calories back? If not, try eating a bit more. Otherwise I would say that your body is adjusting to the weight training and cardio you have been adding (you may be retaining some water) - is there any reason you aren't resting from the weight training? 7 days a week seems like a lot - your muscles need to recover from weight training. My sodium intake number is around 2000 so not sure if under 1500 has an effect on that. We do need sodium in our diets to some degree.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight you're not eating at a deficit. So either you're TDEE calculations are wrong (no matter what calculation you use these are an estimate), your not logging your food accurately or your exercise calories are wrong. If you open your diary people will be able to give more specific advice if you wont open your diary not much else anyone can say. (not sure why you don't want open it if you want help but your choice)
  • redzgal
    redzgal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Right..my choice on my diary not being open. Thanks for the input!
  • redzgal
    Options
    I never eat back my calories from exercising but I did change my goals and it dropped my calorie intake by 200 in MFP. So, hopefully that will help! I also work different muscle groups so they get a rest day. Thank you! :)
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    might be worth trying to get in a proper rest day. I know it can feel lazy or like you're giving up when you take a day off from everything, but it isn't!
    I have my weekly weigh in day after 2-3 rest days and so far I've lost weight every week.
    I still weigh myself everyday cause I can't help it (I only count monday morning as the official one) and sometimes I'll go all week not really changing, but after my rest days comes the change :)
  • 12pillows
    Options
    Also are you taking measurements as you go? Might be encouraging if you're losing inches despite not much going on with the scales :)
  • redzgal
    Options
    Thanks for the info 12pillows, I may try that. It's a program that I'm doing for 12 weeks that has the workouts every day. But I did go in and change my goals in MFP and daily calories decreased so we'll see how that goes. I weigh everyday too (can't help it). Great job on your loss!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I agree on taking at least one rest day a week. Even if you're doing different muscle groups each day, it's good to give the body a break.

If you're eating according the TDEE method and your calorie goal is a cut from that, then you're not gaining muscle.

Your choice to not open your diary, but that's our roadblock in being able to offer more specific advice. :smile:

Bottom line - calorie deficit = weight loss. If your TDEE numbers are correct, and you are eating at a deficit, then you should be seeing progress either on the scale or tape measure. Make sure your are as accurate as possible in tracking foods - weigh and measure as much as possible. And consider taking a rest day once a week at least, they really are a beneficial part of the fitness equation.

Good luck!
  • 12pillows
    Options
    wow I can't imagine working out for 12 weeks everyday! I admire your dedication!
    I don't want to discourage you from sticking to your plan, but 5 weeks seems a long time for no results.
    Did you take a before picture? If so maybe take another one and compare it now to see if it's having an effect, and like I say, measurements are another good way.
    You might be doing better than you think!

And thank you! I'm sure I'm gonna slow down now, everytime I try to lose weight I find the first 7 pounds the easiest for some reason. Probably mostly water :)
  • redzgal
    Options
    wow I can't imagine working out for 12 weeks everyday! I admire your dedication!
    I don't want to discourage you from sticking to your plan, but 5 weeks seems a long time for no results.
    Did you take a before picture? If so maybe take another one and compare it now to see if it's having an effect, and like I say, measurements are another good way.
    You might be doing better than you think!

And thank you! I'm sure I'm gonna slow down now, everytime I try to lose weight I find the first 7 pounds the easiest for some reason. Probably mostly water :)

I did forget to mention that I have lost 3/4 of an inch around my waist!! I am definitely measuring.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles will cause weight gain, but cardio will make the weight come off quickly. Make sure you are getting enough protein, 1/2 your body weight in grams, and drinking enough water (1/2 your body weight in oz). 1500 for sodium is a great, achievable goal, and you can lose quicker with that for your diet. To lose a lb, subtract 500 off your average tdee, 1000 calories off for two lbs/week.
  • redzgal
    Options
    Sore muscles will cause weight gain, but cardio will make the weight come off quickly. Make sure you are getting enough protein, 1/2 your body weight in grams, and drinking enough water (1/2 your body weight in oz). 1500 for sodium is a great, achievable goal, and you can lose quicker with that for your diet. To lose a lb, subtract 500 off your average tdee, 1000 calories off for two lbs/week.

Thanks!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Make sure your activity and goal settings are correct in MFP. You are between "Very Active" and "Extremely Active". Try eating back some of your exercise calories and drink plenty of water. Definitely give yourself one day of rest.
  • BleedyPokes
    Options
    Are you taking in too few calories, perhaps? That can cause your body to go into a sort of starvation mode and slow down your metabolism because it wants to hang on to all those calories to use for energy for the rest of the day.

Don't forget to take in some high protein snack or meal within 30 minutes of weight training.

And heck, a pound lost and half an inch lost is pretty awesome... working out as much as you are, you're likely building muscle which is heavier than fat.

Good luck to you!
  • redzgal
    Options
    If you're not losing weight you're not eating at a deficit. So either you're TDEE calculations are wrong (no matter what calculation you use these are an estimate), your not logging your food accurately or your exercise calories are wrong.

I just redid my numbers and found I was eating above my TDEE so therein lies the problem!!! Thanks for the enlightenment from all. This helped a lot! :)

So, now I've refigured and I should be successful!