To drink a protein shake or NOT drink a protein shake??

Options
That is the question...

I've been rumaging through a few people's food dairies and I have noticed that quite a few women put a sort of "Whey Protein" into their diet. Now from what I know about taking in extra protein, which is CLEARLY not alot, I thought you only drank protein when you want to gain alot of muscle.

What I'm looking for is something to eat or drink when I get done at the gym that won' take up all the calories that I just burned up. Is protein the answer or is there something else??

If a protein shake is the best idea, what kind of protein should I get?? One that, if possible, doesn't taste too bad. =] Thanks guys in advance.

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    My nutrition coach wants me to keep a 2 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein and I can only eat so much meat throughout the day. I totally agree with Dawn that it is quick and easy. I have one every morning with my breakfast. Sometimes I mix it with cold water from the fridge or other times with skim milk. I buy mine from bodybuilding.com. I bought the sample pack first and am so glad because I really only like about 3 of them. I have bought from them several times since and have always been satisfied.
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You want whey protein because it's easily absorbed by the body. My understanding is protein helps repair the muscles. I drink GNC Amplified wheybolic Extreme 60 Chocolate. It taste pretty good now that I'm used to it. I started drinking it with saoy chocolate milk and half a banana, and grdually weined myself down to straight water. I actually really look forward to my shake now. I drink one scoop in the morn, and one scoop right after the gym. My trainer told in me, in order for pretein to be effective after a workout, you need to drink it within 30 minutes. I bring 1 scoop in a blender bottle to the gym, and mix with less then a cup of water so it's a little thicker.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You're gonna eat something, right? Eating protein won't actually make you gain muscles, but excess protein won't really harm you it'll just be like excess carbs in that it'll be used for energy or stored as fat, etc. But here's the thing, if you're working out, even doing cardio you are exercising your muscles and your muscles need protein, in general, your body needs protein (essential amino acids), needs some fats (essential fatty acids) but doesn't ever need carbs, your body has the machinery to convert protein to use as enegry (in leu of glucose) so you could live off of protein alone if you ever needed to (not that I'd recommend it - you'd need to eat allot of fiber for digestive health).

Here's a really good and easy read on the value of protein: http://www.bodyhealth.com/html/biobuilde/key.asp

But here's the thing: Protein is expensive, it will always be more expensive than straight-up carbs, also carbs are usually tastier b/c of the sugars...so you need maybe 1g of protein for your weight in kg for your body's needs, if you have it then you don't need to eat more unless you think your muscles need it to grow - your free to choose whatever you want to eat to satisfy your hunger, but generally people pick protein after workouts b/c it's said that's the time when the body needs it the most, and you also don't save up protein:

...from the link above:
    Protein is what makes up your ligaments, tendons, muscles, hair, nails, skin, teeth, tissue, organs, and bones. About half of the non-water mass of your body is made up of protein.

Since most of the body's proteins are continually broken down, the body needs to manufacture thousands of proteins every day to replace them.
    Protein cannot be stored for later use, like fat or carbohydrates can, so the body needs daily replenishments.
    Daily protein/amino acid intake is required to maintain or normalize cellular turnover and optimize the body's protein synthesis. Without sufficient protein, the body either lets cells die or breaks down other muscles and tissues to get the protein it needs for repair and other functions.

The body may actually "eat itself" to acquire the necessary amino acids, or borrow the amino acids from the immune system or body functions to meet its protein needs. If you workout and don't have enough protein to rebuild your body, instead of getting stronger, you will become weaker and be subject to injury.

Basically you don't want your body cannibilizing it's muscle in search of amino acids, you want to ensure that it's got enough. You can lose weight by losing muscle or fat or both, people don't want to lose muscle (even women, muscle is what makes you healthy and your metabolism fast - keeps the fat off) so they make sure to get in enough protein.
  • MegKat
    MegKat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I guess its up to you, what type of workouts are you doing? Do you want to build any strength? Muscle burns calories. If you look at many diets a high protein low carb diet can be a very good thing. But you want lean protein. I personally get sick of eating meat, so I go for protein powder. I don't use it everyday but I drink it when I need something to fill me up, and after a hard workout so I don't crash. I use gnc extreme wheybolic 60, they say one serving is three scoops, I only use one scoop at a time, and it lasts a very long time. I have chocolate which I mix with milk, and its very good, and i have vanilla which i mix with fruit. It's the cheapest form of protein you can find. So personally I would go with it.
  • Kblack2882
    Kblack2882 Posts: 20
    Options
    Some of you ladies buying your protein at GNC are getting had, much cheaper protein powders out there. You don't have to take a protein shake, but some type of post work out nutrition is recomended.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Some of you ladies buying your protein at GNC are getting had, much cheaper protein powders out there. You don't have to take a protein shake, but some type of post work out nutrition is recomended.

so what would you recommend?
  • Kblack2882
    Kblack2882 Posts: 20
    Options
    I like ON powder which you can get 10 pounds for $50, but even Walmart brand whey is perfectly fine. GNC just tends to over price everything. If you are like me and whey doesen't agree with your stomach check into Isopure, it has 0 carbs and is a highly refined protein powder that is much gentler on the stomach.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I drink one or two a day, morning snack and mid workout ( after weights before Cardio)
    MY son get me my protein powder for a discount so I dont mind buying it and drinking it.
  • dbrownson
    dbrownson Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Protein is a must have for your daily diet, so a protein shake/drink is one of the best methods of getting this intake. What you really want is WPI (whey protein isolate, which is the purest form of protein). There are a bunch of great priced options out there for you, depending on what quality you want to purchase. I have five protein drinks per day, and I have to re-buy the 5lb container about every 2 - 3 weeks for about 40 dollars shipped, not too bad.
  • Candlelite89
    Options
    Bump!

I posted this topic almost 4 years ago and I am almost sure that the info has changed since than...

I did end up drinking whey protein shakes after the feedback I received on this post and I will be buying a protein powder to start drinking now after my cardio workouts, but which kind is the best kind now a days??
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    There are so many different kinds of proteins out there, not just whey.
    I use a combination of garden of life Raw Meal and Plantfusion Chocolate. I love them both :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I only use protein powders in pancakes at this point, sometimes but rarely in oatmeal, I haven't had a shake in ages. They're nice if you like shakes and smoothies and want extra protein, pretty much, but you definitely don't NEED to have some.

I do eat a lot of chicken breasts though.
  • michelleamhill
    michelleamhill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like Jay Rob's Vanilla. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk and frozen raspberries, chia seeds, and ice blend it. Sometimes I do unsweetened almond milk, dates, peanut butter, unsweetened cocoa powder and a scoop of the Jay Rob vanilla. Very delicious.
  • DevinJean123
    DevinJean123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love GNC total lean shake 25- I get swiss chocolate use 1 scoop and mix it with a scoop of pb2 and almond milk- its like 200 calories and better than chocolate milk could ever be :] Actually I think I will go make one right now!!! Oh and GNC had lots of buy one get one 1/2 off with other kinds so you could try both?
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I like Syntha-6 Chocolate Milkshake Protein Powder. I've done the Pure Protein vanilla creme too. It's OK but doesn't taste as good as the Syntha.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Dymatize fusion or dymatize elite.. Rich chocolate, cookie and creme, fudge brownie, mmmm
  • riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like plain whey powder (Bluebonnet and Tera's Whey are good), and add my own unsweetened cocoa powder (LOVE ghirardelli's, it is very dark and rich and only has 20 cal per tablespoon, 3g carb, 2g fiber, 2gfat, and 1g protein). Then I can add my own sweetener to taste (I can't stand the taste of stevia, which is what a lot of the whey powders seem to have).
  • SavinnaMarie
    SavinnaMarie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are for ANYONE who needs to reach their daily protein goal and cannot do it with just real food. it's also good for those who want to build muscle or tone up cause it helps your muscles to recover and it is easily absorbed by the muscle as long as you consume it in an hour after your workout
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I put whey protein in my food to repair the muscles after a particularly vigorous workout. I don't use shakes myself but I'm not against them. I use a brand called Pulsin', they just make pure whey protein without flavouring. So I can add it to anything!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really need to be 'post workout,' as there's very little evidence outside of the realm of broscience to support the 'catabolic window' theory often cited for meal timing.

Protein shakes are not just for body builders, and the vast majority of women will not 'bulk up' on them unless something else in influencing their testosterone balance and ability to generate muscular bulk.