Coffee makes you hungrier?

Options
This is just a theory... the last few days I have been drinking about 6 cups a day vs 3 cups a week... it's cold and it is my little indulgence at home. Anyway- I have felt like I wanted to literally eat my arm off... I cannot get satisfied! The only change has been the increased coffee intake. Does this happen to anyone else? Am I just crazy in thinking there is a correlation?

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...can't really say this has happened to me. However, there could be something with the added caffiene making your body work faster and making you feel more hungry. Does this happen to you with decaf too? If not, then it could be the caffiene.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    What are you putting in your coffee? THat may be causing the increase in wanting to eat not the coffee its self.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    not for me. coffee fills me up but if i drink too much the caffeine gives me the jitters lol
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I don't have that problem, but I do get kind of quesy if I don't eat when I drink too much coffee. :)
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It is the opposite for me- I normally drink a cup of coffee to keep me from random snacking. What are you putting in your coffee? That could be what is making you hungrier.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 cups in the morning with breakfast- Maxwell House original roast filter packs with 3 packets splenda and 4 tbs Horizon organic half and half (only contains milk and cream- no additives such as oil etc) and another 3 cups containing the same at night. Probably unrelated. I don't drink decaf but will pick some up to see if it helps... if not- I will stop drinking it all together and see if it helps. That's probably the only way for me to tell. Stinks- cause I love me some coffee!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Coffee hasn't really made me hungrier I don't think. It does give me the kind of energy that drinks and pills can't, however. It's so strange to me.. but I'll take it! But then again, I drink my coffee black most of the time.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    might b all the splenda
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    OMG SAME HERE!! And I have my coffee pretty "doctored". I don't use flavored creamers or anything like that, just the regular stuff, but I usually put 2 tsp. of sugar in mine, and a couple tablespoons of regular creamer.

But a couple hours later, it's like a Looney Tunes cartoon: my cat starts looking like a walking turkey, my hamster is popcorn chicken, and my fish are swimming around their tank in butter herb sauce. AND I'm a vegetarian LOL.

I've heard it's a blood sugar thing. That caffeine makes you more sensitive to changes in blood sugar, so going just a bit low like one normally does between meals feels like you're in the middle of a famine.

What I'd like to know is, does the caffeine speed up your metabolism and help burn calories, too, or does it just make you want to eat more?
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is actually a natural appetite suppressant.
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    I don't know about the metabolism thing as I have lost a lot of weight without drinking coffee or drinking anything other than water for months. I have hypothyroidism and generally a sluggish metabolism- but I have maximized it with exercise and eating clean as much as possible... for me- it had nothing to do with caffeine as I have only recently started drinking coffee regularly again.

It also may have to do with me finishing Grad school and being home every day again... I think it is all in my head- ie the food is accessible so I am stressing over it vs not really being hungry... arrrrgh! Am I really hungry? Am I not? This part of weightloss sucks.
  • tina8884
    Options
    Coffee makes me full! If I get the munchies or am craving something sweet I will have a cup of coffee instead and it helps me to control it. That's weird if it makes you hungrier lol
  • NikkisNewStart
    Options
    lol I don't know if it really is the coffee or if it is all in my head. I am leaning on the latter bc if I truly was hungry- I would eat a huge bowl of broccoli instead of fantasizing about Little Debbies. lol I am glad I posted instead of giving in... its like I was talked down off the ledge of a binge. Thanks you guys!
  • rvanderpool3
    rvanderpool3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it is the Splenda. I either take my coffee black or with splenda. I think your body actually reacts to the taste of "sweet" and produces an insulin response as a result(atleast that is what I have read).
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 cups in the morning with breakfast- Maxwell House original roast filter packs with 3 packets splenda and 4 tbs Horizon organic half and half (only contains milk and cream- no additives such as oil etc) and another 3 cups containing the same at night. Probably unrelated. I don't drink decaf but will pick some up to see if it helps... if not- I will stop drinking it all together and see if it helps. That's probably the only way for me to tell. Stinks- cause I love me some coffee!

It's probably the Splenda. The body interprets artificial sweeteners the same way it does sugar. So insulin gets released, causing the liver and kidneys to stop burning fat and to use sugar from your blood for energy. Since you haven't consumed sugar your blood sugar level will drop and you will feel hungry because your body is telling you to replenish your blood sugar.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    ah it's usually the opposite for me! i usually drink it after breakfast so i can last longer til lunch! haha, but not today, as it makes my cramps soooooooooooooooooooo bad :(
    i try to put a little cinnamon in my coffee, because it helps increase insulin sensitivity
  • addrad
    addrad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Caffine is my life saver! Whenever I am hungry a coffee or diet coke fills me up and saves me from snacking between meals. Diet soft drinks with caffine work super well for me, maybe its the bubbles! :-)