short ladies - 1200 cal/day?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    OP - I'm 5'2", much older than you, and the only time I eat as low as 1200 is when I'm sick. Most people (even us shorties) don't need to eat that low in order to lose.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    44 years old and 5'2, I eat between 1800-2000 calories. :wink:

Just cause your short doesn't mean you need to do 1200 calories!! :grumble:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 and my calorie goal is 1350. As long as I hit my macro goals for protein and fat, I am usually ok on that. I find if I am low on those 2 macros, I am hungry. Here is a great post to help you manually set your numbers, rather than the default that MFP sets.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    OP - I'm 5'2", much older than you, and the only time I eat as low as 1200 is when I'm sick. Most people (even us shorties) don't need to eat that low in order to lose.

This. I'm 5'3.5"ish and girls my height use the same reasoning. I eat well over 2000 a day typically and lose. I *am* very active though. I'd still recommend you try NETTING at least 1200 calories, if not 1400.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and am having trouble sticking to the 1200 a day! I'm like you and wind up going over by at least 100 calories.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    5'2" and I eat around 1600-1700 when I'm trying to lean down. I go for a slower rate of .5 lbs per week to ensure I maintain lean mass. I do strong lifts and box so I work out at least 4 days a week when I'm not traveling for work. I'll be bumping up to 1800 calories this next week since I plan on lifting and boxing on the same days and then focusing on bodyweight/core/cardio the other two days. I tried the 1200 cal thing and with my workouts at the time, felt horrible after 3 days. I don't mind fueling my body to make sure that I feel good and get solid training sessions in even if it takes me a long time to get to the BF% I'm comfortable with. I'd rather be strong and a little higher in BF% than lethargic and lean.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    5'1". I stick with 1200. I try not to eat back my exercise calories.
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    5'1", I usually eat around 1900-2000 cals/day and am losing. I workout 6 days/wk though. I always eat back my exercise calories!
  • pennyks88
    pennyks88 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and my calorie limit is 1420. I've found that 1200 was just too low for me. I felt like I was starving by the time I went to bed.
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My calorie limit is 1200 a day, going almost everyday spinning for 45 minutes. As cardio is close to 300 i usually eat all 1200 and don't eat back the exercise calories. works wonders !
  • amusenteacher
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting because I'm roughly the same height and wanting to lose a pound a week, too. So I'm appreciating all the response.

I'm netting under 1200 a day, but I'm generally taking in around 1300+ a day. So, in other words, I'm working out and eating back some, but not all of my calories. I'm not very well-versed in what this means to my body in the long-run (i.e. if I am messing with my metabolism in a negative way or not), but since sticking to this and upping my workouts, I've been losing more than a pound a week...5 pounds in less than a month.

If I do feel hungry, I try to eat foods that are high in lean proteins and good fats (almonds, quinoa chips with guac, etc.) to stave off hunger.

Separately, I think our own descriptions of "Activity Level" in the Goals section help determine the Calorie goal...I put sedentary, since I work from home and generally spend some of the day sitting in one place, not moving for hours. For those of us who put "Lightly Active" or "Active", our calorie intake may be designated higher.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great responses! :heart:

I've discovered that if I manage to get around 300 extra cals a day (from exercise) to eat, I won't starve by the time I get to bed. So I guess I'm still going to aim at netting 1200, but if there are days when I can't exercise, I might just go over without feeling too guilty about it. Being full is of first priority!

How many cals per day do you ladies burn through exercise on average? Just wondering.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I'm netting under 1200 a day, but I'm generally taking in around 1300+ a day. So, in other words, I'm working out and eating back some, but not all of my calories. I'm not very well-versed in what this means to my body in the long-run (i.e. if I am messing with my metabolism in a negative way or not), but since sticking to this and upping my workouts, I've been losing more than a pound a week...5 pounds in less than a month.

This sounds like me! I eat back my exercise calories (it gives me motivation to exercise lol) but not always all of it. Losing more than a pound a week? I'm so envious! :flowerforyou: How many cals do you burn through exercise on a daily basis?
  • amylg05
    amylg05 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im 5.00" and 182lbs, ive been eating 1200 a day for the last 2 months and have lost 18lbs. I find it ok most days to be honest and some days I find I am under. Other days I might be over by 100 to even 300 but I dont sweat it ;D Sometimes I eat back around half my exercise cals sometimes none. To be honest I think it just depends what im eating on the day, not that im eating bad on the days im over just what I am eating has more cals! Though I think I will be upping this soon as I have just started trying to lift and the trainer said she eats 4000 cals a day o_o
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i discovered today after my last midwife lied to me that i am 5ft bang on. i was following 1200 for 5 months and have since had to up to 1400. my weight loss has stalled twice in the last 2 months and i have felt sick and tired due to the fact 1200 is probably not enough anymore. today i feel good but need to see how the next 3 weeks pan out
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and started at 170 lbs. I lost all my weight at 1650 before exercise, so days I did exercise I was closer to 1900. I maintain 120 lbs at around 1900 before exercise. Took me 9 months to lose 53 lbs.
  • skinnygirldc
    skinnygirldc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    5'3" and 122lbs, in my 40s with a sedentary office job. I lose slowly but steadily when I net 1200 calories. (I'm nearly at my GW of 118.) Above 1200 calories, I need a lot of exercise in order to lose.

At 1200 calories, I'm borderline hungry and not very energetic. On days when I exercise, I need to eat a little more (1300-1400). Otherwise everyone around me is miserable, LOL.

At my age and sedentary status, my maintain calories are only about 1550 without exercise. I'm trying to build muscle through weight lifting to try to improve this sad old metabolism!
  • anmajon24
    anmajon24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and my calorie goal is 1400 after speaking to a nutritionist. At this point I am just getting back into eating right and exercising regularly. I have started Leslie Sansone walking videos and do them at least 5 days a week.
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I am 5 ft 3 inches. I'm 38 years old and weigh 145, but want to get to 130. MFP wanted me to follow 1200 ca/day. I was doing it for like 40 days now, but I got really sick and I think it is because my immune system was low because I needed more "fuel". I went on the community forum here and everyone said that 1200 was way to low. Someone suggested 1400 a day which is what I changed it too, so I will let you know how it goes it you would like. Everyone said they were loosing weight with even more calories than that so I should loose the weight.[/quote]

Snap. Same height, same weight (1kg less than you), almost same age (37) same exact problem. I am trying the exact same thing, and waiting to see if it works for me.
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the encouraging and super helpful replies here. After reading your posts, I think I will give 1300-1400 a try instead. It might mean slower weight loss but at least it would feel more doable and I wouldn't be as obsessed with food as I currently am.

This has been really helpful. Thanks so much once again :flowerforyou:

SUCH a good idea! Wishing you success