FAILLLLLLLLL!

Options
How the hell do you stay within your calorie limit? I just don't seem to able to do it, no matter what, I end up going over it. I am working out on daily basis, AT LEAST 40 min of cardio a day plus strength training. I feel like I could workout regularly for the rest of my life. However, I don't know how to control my eating habits and it makes me feel so frustrated!!! Like today, for example, I even started my day with the 30day shred but ended up screwing everything up after getting home from the gym and eating loads and loads of crap on top of my no-so-healthy lunch. I see some people on here who have lost soooo much weight and I just cannot believe how much discipline and hard work that must have required. I feel like such a failure seriously, I wish I could just sew my mouth shut or something :-(

Replies

• Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Minimize the white starches, maximize the veggies and don't forget the fat. You need it.

Also, DRINK YOUR WATER!!!

After a very long time of not eating any white rice, I had some. Much to my surprise, all it took was one time and all of a sudden I was craving it!

You won't be nearly as hungry if you can lose the potatoes, the white rice and the bread.
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    its all in the mind....if you have the right mind set the rest will just fall into place..great job on the exercise...but you have to get your head in the game...unless you make up your mind that this is what you want....nothing you do will make it happen cause you will sabotage yourself.....like hitting a plateau....you have to stick with it and eventually it will break and the weight will start going down. I wish you the best of luck...this site is amazing and there are some really awesome people on here that will encourage you every step of the way....you can do this!!!
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    It comes with time. Trust me.

I was here for 3 months tracking food and didn't lose ONE BIT. infact. I think I went down and then back up a few kgs. VERY frustrating.

If you know what you are eating is crap, change it. Think about how much this journey means to you. When you go to eat something that's crap remember your reasons for doing it!

Plus. This week and next week is a horrible time to be starting a journey like this. My Personal Trainer told me to just not log my food until after new years, get to the gym as much as possible and just keep going.

Keep yourself accountable. and keep plodding along. and don't get disheartened :)
  • sukeisme
    Options
    I'm sorry you are so frustrated. It is very difficult. I don't do well every day, but like you, I just keep trying. I have to consciously consider everything I am putting in my mouth. I hate this, but I have some serious issues with portion control. I have decided to not limit myself as to WHAT I can eat, only HOW MUCH. So instead of feeling deprived, I am eating what I want, but I am consciously watching how much. For instance, instead of taking the bag of potato chips to the couch with me, I take one bowl and that's it. My kids and I went to Taco Bell last night and I ordered only one tostada. I did not have the option of overeating because I only ordered one. This way of thinking seems to be working for me right now. When I tried to eat only healthy foods I felt so deprived and then I would totally binge when I ate one of my favorite foods. So this time I am trying something different. Maybe that will help you? Good luck! And don't give up!
  • Floricienta
    Options
    I know... those damn potatoes... I really need to cut down. Do you plan your meals ahead of time? thanks for taking your time to reply :-)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,431 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you set at? Are you eating back your exercise calories? What types of food are you eating. It's not just the quantity of what you eat, it's the quality and often the higher quality foods will fill you up longer so you don't eat as much. It took me about 2 weeks to lose 1.5 lbs. and I had to adjust my calories and how much I wanted to lose. It is hard to change life long habits but you can do it. This is the worst time of year to try to make a change like this because there is so much non-healthy yummy food around (at least there is in my house, well, what I haven't eaten!) but you are smart to start now. Good luck, YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I try to fill myself on protein and fiber. Protein bars help me out tremendously!

Also, my hubby recommended that I chew slower and it worked. Now I make an effort to chew very slowly and I take a sip of water between each bite.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The first question to ask is are you setting your weekly goal to high? If you find yourself on the highest or next to highest setting for weight lost per week, take it down one or two notches. This will give you an extra calorie allowance each day, which will help build up confidence. You can always choose to accelerate your weight loss later.

One thing I do is rely heavily on frozen dinners. They're quick and easy to make, so when I want to eat in a rush, I don't feel the temptation for fast food. And they give you a lot of food for not a lot of calories. If you buy healthy choice, lean cuisine, or smart ones, they're usually 250-300 calories, and they give you 10-12 oz of food.

Also, only keep water in your house. Beer, soda, gatorade, juice, etc will cause you to go over your calories easily. Drinking strictly water is not only healthy, but calorie free.

Hopefully some of this helped.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Plan plan plan. If I don't I fail miserably.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public and we can give you more constructive feedback. It is most likely the foods you are eating (ie: they're high calorie but not that filling or can't sustain you between meals). Make your own meals - that way you know exactly what the ingredients are, can accurately track the calories, and you'll learn a lot about which foods to moderate and which you can have lots of.

A very filling low cal option? Eggplant. Sometimes I'll have half of an eggplant sliced and grilled for lunch (they turn into really tasty little chips). Alone, this comes to maybe 100 calories.
  • heatypablo
    Options
    Trust me, we've all been there. The main thing is consistency... everyone here (I'm sure) has fallen off the wagon but you can't let it get you down and you try your best the next day to not make that mistake again.

To me, the best way to stick to healthier foods and within my allotted calories, is having those healthy foods around. People at work probably laugh at me because I bring a huge bag of food every day...everything from oranges to Greek yogurts to almonds. I always keep something around so when hunger does strike, I can grab an orange instead of a Snickers from the vending machine. The same rules at home, keep healthy foods you enjoy around and keep them prepared so you won't dread going home to have to cook... if I know there's nothing at home to eat and/or I will have to cook a lot I'm very tempted to stop at Burger King.

Hope that helps! :bigsmile:
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hi Flori -- First of all, you are gorgeous. You may want to slim down and tone up for your own reasons, but you are not a Failure! Far from a failure!

Everyone has his or her own advice. Personally, I don't know why potatoes have gotten such a bad rap. A plain baked potato is actually very good for dieters. And bread and grains? Very good for you. Just be careful that you choose multi-grain or whole grain whenever possible. Not just whole wheat but whole grain. There is a difference.

Next, reach out for MFP with similar weight loss goals. They can be your age or any age. Both female and male MFP friends are great. Once you have a number of MFP friends, you can study their diaries and get ideas of how successful dieters put together their meal plans. Post a topic on the Introduce Yourself Thread and tell them you want more MFP friends. Believe me, Flori, you will get a lot of requests. Screen them if you wish, and then start interacting and studying. The answers are there.

This program works. I am on maintenance now, and have lost just 9 pounds on MFP. However, I lost 84 pounds total. This is the best program I have tried. Just give it time. I know you can do this. You are worth it!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I try to fill myself on protein and fiber. Protein bars help me out tremendously!

Also, my hubby recommended that I chew slower and it worked. Now I make an effort to chew very slowly and I take a sip of water between each bite.

I agree with the protein and fiber! I'm a big fan of oatmeal for breakfast. It fills you up and lasts till lunch. I flavor it with Cinnamon(0 calories) and a little honey(60 calories). I make mine with milk, so that adds another 100 calories, but breakfast is usually under 350 calories total.
    Make sure you are not going under 1200 net calories after exercise on a consistent basis. Your body will fight your weight lose efforts if you do. And drink lots of water. You will feel fuller, and it will help flush out your body.
  • Lizard863
    Lizard863 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I'm having the same issue. I know I am doing better than I had been in the past and I MFP tells me I will lsoe such and such in 5 weeks, but I rarely manage to stay within my 1750.

TV dinners work well at school, but when I am home during the day and hungry...
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    No idea what you are set at but its all about small steps. If you try and change all your eating habits in one go you will find it hard.

Don't have your goals set too high, try for half a pound a week loss at first, when you can cope with that calorie allowance slowly reduce it, you can set it manually. You do get used to it but if you are used to eating out lots, eating not so healthy foods, over eating in general then just aim to change one of these for the next few weeks, when you have that licked aim to change another one...you will get there.

Good luck and remember BABY STEPS will get you there better than trying to take giant leaps
  • MarilynMarie
    Options
    when your hungry try drinking or even just smelling coffee
    also try chugging a glass of ice water on top of filling you up it burns calories trying to turn the water to a decent temperature to be absorbed
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I hear your fustration - been there way too many times. You should change up one thing at a time - maybe your trying too hard. Day 1 - get in a vegetable at each meal. Day 2 - excersice for an additional 15 minutes (more than usual). Day 3 - Take the stairs and park in the last spot at work. etc....I think if you start with the small steps it will be easier to maintain.

Good luck! :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I agree.... you may need to adjust your goal if hitting the calorie count is too difficult for you. Are you aiming for one or two pounds a week? If you change that, the calories will change as well. I know... you probably don't want to slow down your weight loss, but you might need to gradually cut the calories so you don't feel like you're doing without.

Also, I think it's good to think in terms of mini-goals. You've got the exercise habit down, now tackle the eating habits. Start out small... meet my calorie goal once a week and work up until you hit it daily. Give yourself a reward (nonfood, of course) when you're able to do it for a few weeks, just to keep you on track and feel like you're getting some sort of immediate gratification out of it.

Lastly, don't give up! It wasn't easy for me when I first started. I felt hungry ALL of the time, but after a while, my body adjusted and now it's no big deal.

Shannon
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

"Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode) "

Good luck on your journey! and don't forget the water..
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    Minimize the white starches, maximize the veggies and don't forget the fat. You need it.

Also, DRINK YOUR WATER!!!

After a very long time of not eating any white rice, I had some. Much to my surprise, all it took was one time and all of a sudden I was craving it!

You won't be nearly as hungry if you can lose the potatoes, the white rice and the bread.

I actually added in a half a potato or sweet potato with 2 ounces of meat, and a salad for lunch. It helps me feel full, adds potassium, and has not hindered my weight loss. I found it on the 6 week plan and love it!!! As long as it comes in nature -- I eat -- unprocessed. :laugh: whoo hoo