Adjusting to higher calorie goal

Options
I need to let myself eat more. I tried weening my way into the higher calorie goal, but I'm still losing. I think 1680 is too high, but evidently trying to stay under 1300 is too low. I'm 5'5" and currently weigh 124 lbs (my goal was 125). How should I ween myself into eating more? I think it's most a mental thing, but I could use some help.

PS-any responses of "go back to how you used to eat" or "you used to be fat, you should know" will NOT be accepted!!!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Have you reset your mfp goals to maintenance? That is one step you can do. Another is to customize your goals and add 100 calories each week until you get to maintenance level. Pick out an extra 100 calorie snack to have each day, or have a slightly larger portion at one or two meals. Over the summer, I did one week on and one week off of logging. I finally got stressed out and OCD with the logging that I dropped it for a while. I like to come back and log for a week or two, just to check things out, but usually go back to not logging until my weight drops or rises too much. Maintenance is kind of a balancing act, and it can take some trial and error to figure it out.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I read in woman's world mag that to figure out how many cals you need to maintain your weight you take your weight 124 x by 10 then X by 1.3 then you will have your maintenance weight. I did yours and it came out to 1612.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" & went from 1200 to now 1550+ per day & I'm still losing a bit. I ate over 1900 today because I worked out (which I rarely do). Just increase your calories 50-100 calories a week til you reach a point where you're not losing anymore. Going into maintenance was not nearly as scary as I thought it would be! Just go for it!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A small amounts of nuts, cheese, or dairy adds a lot of calories with good nutrition.
  • GeorgiesTraining
    GeorgiesTraining Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats are a good, sneaky way of easing calories into your diet. After realising I was losing too fast I used coconut oil in place of butter and cooking oils (even used it as a spread once).
    Just an example.
    The fats also help with anti-flammatory purposes as well as cardiovascular benefits. And, coupled with a good fry up, taste gooood.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Seems like a mental issue. Identify and face the root of your fear.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I read in woman's world mag that to figure out how many cals you need to maintain your weight you take your weight 124 x by 10 then X by 1.3 then you will have your maintenance weight. I did yours and it came out to 1612.

Total bs IMO. I'm eating more than what that comes out at and losing weight. Like the others said, gradually increase until you're not losing weight anymore.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Reset your goals, find some internet sights for women and compare maintenance information.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I need to let myself eat more. I tried weening my way into the higher calorie goal, but I'm still losing. I think 1680 is too high, but evidently trying to stay under 1300 is too low. I'm 5'5" and currently weigh 124 lbs (my goal was 125). How should I ween myself into eating more? I think it's most a mental thing, but I could use some help.

PS-any responses of "go back to how you used to eat" or "you used to be fat, you should know" will NOT be accepted!!!

You may find you need more than what is generally recommended. At 6'4, I need around 2,200 to 2,400 to maintain. Go up adding 300 calories every two weeks. This way, you can gauge how much you need accurately. In a month or six weeks, you should see a stabilizing trend. It's ok if you lose in the meantime. Reset your MFP settings to maintenance and that should help.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Nope. Mine says 1664 according to that calculation and my maintenance calories are more like 2000/day. It doesn't take into account that I'm tall.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'5" and 124. (I lost to 119 at one point, but that was way too low.) 1680 shouldn't be too much, and you'll probably be able to go higher than that-- maybe 1800-2000. I agree with the others that you should increase someone slowly. I know it seems scary and/or wasteful, but try adding a Tbsp of olive oil to a salad or pasta dish. That does actually make me feel better/more satisfied. Or have a serving of nuts anytime. What I wouldn't do is increase your calories by a lot right away and get in the mindset that you have a lot of room for treat, like every day. (I think if I had increased to maintenance in one jump, I would have been more likely to re-incorporate less healthy foods.) Just try to increase the size of each meal/snack by 100 calories.