Working out with Endometriosis

Options
Hi all!

I'm not sure if something like this has previously been posted so my apologies if it has!

I was diagnosed with endometriosis last year and treated for it via laprascopy. I then fell pregnant and had my third son in January. I suspect it has come back and I am really struggling with the pain of my period this week. I was part way through the 30 day shred but the last two days I've struggled being on my feet or doing anything that involves tensing my stomach at all.

I don't want to just do nothing during the time I am on my period, does anyone have any exercises that they find soothe it or that don't cause them too much pain?

Replies

• TommyJensen1987
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • pyronymph1
    pyronymph1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have found yoga to be about the only thing I can tolerate when my endo is flaring up - and even then it's a shortened session from what I would normally be able to do.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There are some yoga positions that can help relieve the tension, I'm sure Google will help you find ones you will like more than I will. If the pain is very bad there is no point in pushing through exercise, in the grand scheme of things a two day break won't make a huge difference.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

Why is this always the automatic answer whenever a DIAGNOSED medical condition is mentioned, she's clearly just looking for support from others that have it, not medical advice.

YTSzGST.gif
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

Why is this always the automatic answer whenever a DIAGNOSED medical condition is mentioned, she's clearly just looking for support from others that have it, not medical advice.

Because depending on what the endometriosis is doing, she can cause a lot of damage to her body by ignoring the pain. She has been previously diagnosed with this condition, but it doesn't sound like a physician has addressed her current symptoms from it.

Case in point: If the endo is causing a large ovarian cyst to form, then working through the pain may cause it to rupture. Which is bad. As a general rule, you don't want anything rupturing in your abdomen.

So... gentle exercise & listen to your body!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Walk. A lot.

Hot showers are a must.

I don't have what you've been diagnosed with (I have PMDD) but I found the above always helps when its TOM. Being inactive is a sure fire way to feel like an even bigger bag of crap than you must already be feeling.
  • apinto2011
    apinto2011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi sweetie. I am also an endometriosis sufferer. Exercising with endo can be really hard. I have been going on a lot of walks, especially with the warmer weather coming! I also am trying out some light yoga which is very relaxing. Do what you can but don't over excerpt yourself because you might pay for it with increased pain :(
    I usually take some Tylenol or ibuprofen before I exercise to help prevent pain. I hope you feel better soon! Feel free to message me if you ever need to talk! -xx Alyssa