Runny nose while running?

Mermaidyo
Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
o.O yeah It's probably been asked. While running or on the elliptical inside my nose seriously runs and runs. drip drip drip along with my sweat. I have a towel to wipe down every few seconds. I don't know what else to do i've used allergy medicine but any other suggestions? it's just plain ol annoying!

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    I have this problem too and I've read that nasal spray can help.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Same here.
  • DienhartDotCom
    DienhartDotCom Posts: 292 Member
    I carry a handkerchief in my pocket so that I can blow my nose as I need to. I hate to take medications, as side effects (especially for something rather minor), are normally worse than the issue at hand.
    For me, I have allergies. One natural way that I improve my runny nose is I reduced my dairy intake. I don't drink much milk, and I gave up yogurt. Dairy products create mucus. I also eat more fresh veggies, as they reduce it. This helps to keep it at bay.
    Here's a link to a simple list: http://rawforbeauty.com/blog/foods-that-creat-mucus-vs-foods-that-eliminate-mucus.html

Hope this helps
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    I have the opposite problem and am forced to be a mouth breather which seriously sucks when out for a run. Think flying insects...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Happens to me when walking briskly too, even in warm weather. I have to regularly pause to blow my nose. It does get annoying.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Me too. My running gloves actually have built in snot rags down the thumbs so it's a common issue. I have found nothing to stop it, I just accept that it happens.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    This happens to me in the winter. I keep tissues tucked under my HRM watch, or up my sleeve like little old ladies do, lol.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Happens to me...worse in winter. I wipe my nose as needed (sleeve, glove, or a towel). Usually, it goes away at some point in my run. Just takes time for the mucus to get cleared out.
  • enks07
    enks07 Posts: 74
    Happens to me when I go running outside as well. I usually forget to bring tissues and this morning my mother, who was riding her bike next to me while I was running, was throwing a package of tissues across the street to me. Haha. I was wondering if somebody was throwing eggs at me from a window or something like that first.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I wear a sweat wristband and use that to wipe my nose.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    For some reason i have difficulties with swallowing when i am running, does anyone else have this problem?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I wear a sweat wristband and use that to wipe my nose.

aha, smart idea. Gonna get some as I suffer the same issue, even when walking briskly.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    For some reason i have difficulties with swallowing when i am running, does anyone else have this problem?

If you are mouth breathing you might just be getting dehydrated. I drink a lot of water when I run (think 1.5L) because I always have a dry mouth.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Reebok has a new shirt with sleeves made for blowing your nose. It's from their new mucas management line.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member

If you are mouth breathing you might just be getting dehydrated. I drink a lot of water when I run (think 1.5L) because I always have a dry mouth.

Agreed :-)

I get a runny nose when running, not sure why but I think it's a common problem. I just wipe my nose on my sleeve. I sometimes get mucus/phlegm and if I can't swallow, I spit. Disgusting and unladylike but extremely practical.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    I get this when hill walking, I must get through about 3 packets of tissue a day. If it''s cold or snowing, my nose then gets chapped :angry:

And it's really bad when cycling, I can't stop in the middle of the road to attend to my dripping nose, it's gross.
  • MelWilB137
    MelWilB137 Posts: 20 Member
    I get this less while running and more often when working out inside to a DVD, and like the others it's annoying but I don't want to take anything.
  • suejenfb
    suejenfb Posts: 54 Member
    I used to have this problem until last summer I found out that I had a deviated septum and had surgery for it. I wish I had known about this 20 years ago because the surgery has changed my life. My nose still runs a little but nothing like before. I can also do cardio without having to stop and catch my breath now.
  • Mermaidyo
    Mermaidyo Posts: 125 Member
    I carry a handkerchief in my pocket so that I can blow my nose as I need to. I hate to take medications, as side effects (especially for something rather minor), are normally worse than the issue at hand.
    For me, I have allergies. One natural way that I improve my runny nose is I reduced my dairy intake. I don't drink much milk, and I gave up yogurt. Dairy products create mucus. I also eat more fresh veggies, as they reduce it. This helps to keep it at bay.
    Here's a link to a simple list: http://rawforbeauty.com/blog/foods-that-creat-mucus-vs-foods-that-eliminate-mucus.html

Hope this helps
    I am lactose intolerant so not much dairy intake. Thank you! I definitely don't want to take medication i'm not too keen on it I have on occasion taken Allergy meds. I do have seasonal allergies. Today I actually noticed I wasn't the only one. So I've been bringing a towel and just wiping my nose as I sweat lol. I will definitely try to up the fresh veggies! :D