What can I do with a whole head of kale?

2»

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I keep reading about the health benefits of kale. I usually eat spinach or romaine, but want to try some new greens. I've read about kale crisps and a kale soup, but does anyone have any interesting ideas? How do you inhale your kale? :-D

throw it at somebody you don't like

I love all vegetables but can't see anything tasty about this one so far. Not trying it again after about 6 attempts. Yuck.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I add it to stir fry.

I put it in smoothies instead of spinach.

I saute it with olive oil, garlic, black pepper, chili powder, and sea salt and eat it as a side dish.

I add it to soups and stews (finely chopped or pureed).

I make chips out of it.

As soon as the ground thaws, you can plant kale and have a great supply. It's a great cool season crop and only costs a few cents to get growing from seed.:smile:
  • aly2503
    aly2503 Posts: 1 Member
    You could make Kale Pesto and freeze in portion sizes. Fab with pasta. Here's a link to the recipe
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2872687/kale-pesto

I always add a lot more kale to the recipe - 5 times as much! Delicious.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    This: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/08/kale-salad-with-pecorino-and-walnuts/#comments
    It was my dinner and I literally could eat it every day of the week. I used to hate kale.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    A friend made me a salad with kale that was really good. She shredded the kale added beets (fresh steamed) and Asian sesame dressing and let it sit overnight. Some pumpkin seeds on top and yummy!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    1. Set it on fire. Because science.
    2. Wrap it up as a Christmas gift for your mother-in-law.
    3. Cut it in half and stuff into your jeans. Instant booty implants
    4. Electrocute it. Because moar science.

Hopefully that helps :flowerforyou:
  • I usually just steam it and add a dressing of hemp oil and lemon juice.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    I always treat it the way I do spinach. Either make Green Soup with stock, kale, asparagus, watercress, broccoli and parsley, then whizz in the blender with a bit of creme fraiche. Or sautee it with chilli flakes and some freshly squeezed lime juice.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    I keep reading about the health benefits of kale. I usually eat spinach or romaine, but want to try some new greens. I've read about kale crisps and a kale soup, but does anyone have any interesting ideas? How do you inhale your kale? :-D

I read about the health benefits of kale on the Mayo Clinc website. Somewhere on their website they say that kale is best steamed if you want to keep the immune system benefits. It loses most of them when you boil it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/search/search-results?q=kale

They also have some recipes if you search for kale on their site.

I swear by kale. I'm not a health food person, but I've been exposed to people with viruses and colds at work, eat steamed kale almost every day, and haven't gotten sick.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    I love kale. I make a version of Jamaican Callaloo that I call Kalellaloo since I can't find callaloo (the vegetable) in NH. I also like adding it to soups and chopping it small to put in cook-up rice (another Jamaican dish) I use it in the place of spinach for fish or chicken florentine too. You can sautee it and put it in an omlete or make kale chips. It's pretty versatile.

Kalellaloo

4 Strips of bacon (you can also use ham, Canadian bacon or omit), chopped
    1 tbsp Coconut oil
    2 Medium carrots chopped small
    2 Stalks of celery, chopped
    1 Medium onion, chopped
    1 Medium tomato, diced
    6 oz Salted cod (soaked overnight, change water twice and chop into pieces)
    1 tsp Pepper sauce (0ptional)
    1 large head of kale, chopped
    1 tsp Black pepper
    1/2 tsp Thyme
    Salt to taste

In heavy pot melt coconut oil over medium heat, cook bacon until fat rendered but not too crispy, remove from pot. Add onion, celery and carrots, sautee until onions just start to get soft. Add chopped salted cod and toss around. Turn heat to med/med low. Add chopped kale and tomatoes stir to distribute ingredients. Add pepper sauce, pepper, and salt. Cover and let cook on med/med low heat until kale is cooked. Sprinkle thyme in and stir again just before serving. You can spritz lemon juice or apple cider vinegar on if you like.
  • Mello_Rello
    Mello_Rello Posts: 421 Member
    I wash it, cut it up, leave the stems on, add some strawberries, blueberries, goat cheese, nuts, and balsamic vinegar dressing...and voila, a tasty kale salad.
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    The only way I can eat kale so far is in smoothies. Yum. I start by making a cup of green tea, pour it into the blender and throw in a handful of kale. (my handful of Kale is 2 cups! just an FYI ive measured plenty of time) Blend it well so it looks just like green juice, then throw in whatever frozen fruit and fresh fruit I have on hand (usually strawberries and mango) Then a couple tablespoons of flax seeds. YUM perfect breakfast for me.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Stir fry with olive oil, garlic, sliced almonds and finish with few slugs of oyster sauce. If you had the kale at Wild Oats this is basically what was in it. Excellent hot or cold. Italian wedding soup is another place I use it.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    I put mine in smoothies. Our desert tortoise like hers plain and raw....