what keeps you motivated?

Options
MOTIVATION! DEDICATION! What gets you there? What keeps you there? And have you noticed a pattern when you "fall off the wagon"?

Replies

• xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The changes that I have gone through so far!! And not wanting to go back to where I was. In a nutshell, I lost 50lbs and I don't want it back, LOL.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Things that keep me motivated:

- My health (it has improved greatly since I started this)
    - Pictures from when I was in high school and from when I first met my husband (I wasn't always fat...I let myself get this way and I need to fix it)
    - My 2yr old son and little one on the way (I want to be healthy for them, so I can see them grow up and get married)
    - To prove to my mom that I can get to a healthy weight for my height (ya, my mom told me I wouldn't lose the 60lbs I gained with my son and has said I will never get back to what I weighed in highschool which is the high side of a normal bmi for someone my height....so far, I lost the weight I gained with my son and plus some before becoming pregnant again...once the baby is here, I will continue to prove her wrong)
    - To look hot in a bikini again (stretch marks and all)
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options

- To prove to my mom that I can get to a healthy weight for my height (ya, my mom told me I wouldn't lose the 60lbs I gained with my son and has said I will never get back to what I weighed in highschool which is the high side of a normal bmi for someone my height....so far, I lost the weight I gained with my son and plus some before becoming pregnant again...once the baby is here, I will continue to prove her wrong)

Sometimes this is the BEST motivator.
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    Things that keep me motivated:

- My health (it has improved greatly since I started this)
    - Pictures from when I was in high school and from when I first met my husband (I wasn't always fat...I let myself get this way and I need to fix it)
    - My 2yr old son and little one on the way (I want to be healthy for them, so I can see them grow up and get married)

Hell yeah my stretch marks almost go all the way around! Haha I would totally rock a bikini now though! I know you'll make your goal again, and thank your mom ;) for being such a great motivator (after losing baby weight again hehe) I know you will! You are a strong woman and your husband is lucky to have you!
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What started my motivation was that my wife had weight loss surgery and after seeing how hard that was, and knowing i had to lose weight I decided to give it one last go on my own without surgery, i had done every fad diet and failed because they arent realistic for me to do the rest of my life and be happy, i had gone to the surgeon and set a surgery plan, but after doing MFP for the last 6 months (which has been the longest diet change ive stuck with ever) with good results i've put the thought of surgery out of my mind, that was my original motivation to do this, that and i dont want to die younger then i should because of my weight, and i want to be more active.
    one thing that motivates me now is being able to start shopping in some regular stores, and not just big and tall stores, i dont want to ever go back to where i was just 6 months ago and ive thrown out all of my clothes that i use to wear so it wouldnt be easy to go backwards, i kept 1 pair of my jeans from 6 months ago as a reminder.
    Another thing that motivates me is the positive comments on weight loss from people. and i'll be damned if i go back to where i was now and look like a failure.
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Seeing pictures of me from last year when I was overweight and I remember how unhealthy and unhappy I was. I NEVER want to go back to that again. Also, I love watching old episodes of Biggest Loser on YouTube - those people are SO inspirational and I always think, if they can do, I can do it. Makes great entertainment when I'm stomping it out on the cross-trainer at the gym. :-)
  • tahneesummers88
    tahneesummers88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The overwhelming WANT and NEED to feel amazing in whatever I wear.. and feel confident again, like I once did :-)
  • marjushkamarusya
    Options
    getting back my confidence and feel that i can one day do better then my ex
  • eminentclapper
    eminentclapper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I keep detailed notes/records of my progress, so the times where my motivation is low or zero, I review them to see the evidence that what I'm doing actually is working.

Another thing that motivates me is reading scientific studies showing, e.g. the by now clearly established link between obesity and dementia, how the brain generally deteriorates, how your bones become brittle, how your risk of diabetes and heart deceases increase, unless you exercise regularly. There are also lots of recent studies that shows the benefits of exercise, e.g. a better functioning nerve system, growth of new brain cells and so many others.

I ask myself how long I want to live and how I want to live. Then going to the gym suddenly becomes so easy!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The mirror.

With my current 'leangains' style routine, plus lots of cardios to burn me some calories from cake, the only time I've "fallen off the wagon" was the day and a half after I did an ultramarathon I think - didn't seem to cause any problems :).
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I want to look nice, and i want to be able to run a mile without dropping dead after 12.5 minutes. (yes, i can't even run a 12-minute mile).

I have/had eating disorder tendencies and i notice that everytime i'm feeling really bad and having those 'thoughts' again i really have to keep myself going.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    The fact that my mother is a de-motivator.
    Need to motivate myself, otherwise I won't make it to my goal.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    mirrors and pizza.
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Love this one! It is one my motivators as well.
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My measurements!

I'm pretty close to my goal, and am trying to gain some lean muscle and tone up. So at this point the number on the scale is moving very slowly (which can be a bit disheartening for someone who used to have such a weight-orientated mindset). I've learnt to trust my measurements and how my clothing fits, and of course, how I look in the mirror! Have to say, the changes I see are motivating - my butt is starting to look perky hahahaha :laugh:
  • rosie291289
    rosie291289 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The children (or parents) that call me the 'fat lady' at work.

Being given a large top for uniform

Being congratulated on being pregnant (just bloated- not pregnant)

Too tight clothes

Everyone else's slim pics on Facebook

Being 1 size away from not being able to shop in all the clothes shops I like.

myfitnesspal is my biggest motivator!
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The change in me.

Not just physically but mentally.

I never, ever, want to go back to the person I was a year or so ago.
  • girlsgametoo
    Options
    For me it's vanity. I'm starting to see a body I like. The clothes and the fashion. For once I care about what I'm wearing. Getting dressed everyday is now fun. It was depressing before to squeeze into things. Now at least I can fit everything in my closet and actually be creative with my outfits.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Oh come on! For women...SEX! SEX SEX SEX keeps us motivated, and looking good doing it. Why is that so hard to admit! It is fun, so let's roll with it!
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I have extremely supportive friends and family, but at the end of the day it's the mirror that motivates me.

as for falling off the wagon, it's not an option. for me it's a lifestyle change, not a diet, not a temporary fix. this is my path now.