An Update on A LADY WHO LIFTS! 2 Years down!

Options
fittiephd
fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
Per suggestion, I'm updating everyone on my progress in the past year.

Last year's post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/935378-a-lady-who-lifts-1-year-of-progress-pics

For anyone wondering how things have been going for me in the past year since this post was originally posted...

In the past year I've continued various heavy lifting / accessory lifting programs. I've added in a little cardio here and there, more recently about 3x a week 15-20 min hiit since January 2014. In May 2013 I hurt my left knee and had to slow down with my lower body lifts for a good 6 months. I still have not come even close to where I was on squats, but have done a lot of other heavy leg work to shape my legs how I would like them. Certain moves hurt my knees and others don't. I'll be really happy to be able to squat my body weight again after all this time! That being said, I've been able to really progress on my deadlifts despite my squats staying behind!!! (see below)

I follow IIFYM religiously, I just finished a 6 week metabolism reset / reverse diet kinda experiment with higher carbs to see if that would help me lose weight at a higher caloric intake. I am back down to 2000 cals now (total, not net), 200g carbs, 71g fat, 140g protein.

My weight has gone up to about 141-144 lbs depending on the day. I started the year with my measurements up a little from some holiday fluff too, but I've since leaned out again and am making great strides towards my goal of seeing my abs this summer :) I'm pretty sure in the past 2 years of lifting and eating a lot that I have successfully put on a good amount of muscle. My goal weight is no longer as low as it was before. I am thinking 138-140 now. But I mostly go by pictures, how I feel, and measurements.

New measurements:
03/21/12
> 03/21/13 ----> 3/9/14
Waist: 26" ----> 24.75" ---> 25.5"
Hips (hip bone): 33"
> 31.5" ---> 32.8"
Thighs: 20.2"
> 21.0" ----> 22.5" (FINALLY the gains in my quads!)
Arms (flexed): 10.0"
> 11.1"
> 12"
Just below bellybutton: 29"
> 27.25" ----> 28"
Under Breasts (ribs) 29.5"
> 27.1"
> 27"
Over Breasts: 34.5"
> 31.0"
> 31.8"
True Hips (widest part) 37.5"
> 38.5" (Yay a butt!!!!)
^^ I didn't measure this until 01/27/13.

Lift Progress: (March 2012 --> March 2013 ---> Now)

Squats: 50 lbs (2x15) ----> 145 lbs (5x5) ----> 125 lbs (3x5)
Rows: 30 lbs (2x15)
> 90lbs (5x5)
> 100 lbs (3x5)
Deadlifts: 60 lbs (2x12) --> 145 lbs (1x5) ----> 200 lbs (1x5) (!!!! Huge goal accomplished here laugh )
OHP: X
> 70 lbs (5x5) ----> 80 lbs (5x5) (I haven't done OHP regularly since last summer)
Bench Press: X
> 90 lbs (5x5) ----> 105 lbs (3x5) (Again I only recently started doing bench again)

As you can see, I've fluctuated a bit but mostly maintained my measurements despite being up about 10 lbs from last year. So yay muscle!

I am especially happy about my back's progress since 2 years ago when I started lifting. It's one area where I can really tell that I've gained muscle.

b708a995-4d68-4e09-b867-c7746c3e43ca_zps1a9d5a99.jpg

Despite being up 10 lbs, the areas where I gain fat are generally the same.

9342d501-1393-47a6-ab70-151e5e428906_zps3ba1841d.jpg

And on good days I even have the start of some abs! (Oh and I got a new tattoo :):):) )

2319e03a-a8c3-4448-aeae-8d17d7860bcc_zpse97e5a3d.jpg

Anyways, still definitely not bulky :)

9b7213e1-4f8d-4770-b725-13d30d977eb5_zpsf1937590.jpg

Again I love answering questions about lifting. I dont' claim to be an expert but I can definitely tell you what I do. I don't starve myself, and I work out regularly. I meal prep all the food for myself and my bf on Sundays so I have little room for temptation during the week. But if I want pizza or dessert I eat it, I make it work to fit my macros, the beauty of IIFYM. Just like all of weight loss, getting the abs / body I want is going to require figuring out how my body works. I'm always tweaking macros or intake or workouts to find out what works for ME personally. (Like every 6-12 weeks I change things to see how it effects me). Lifting and eating well has definitely become a huge and enjoyable part of my life, it's one of the things I enjoy most and I 've made a lot of good friendships from it!

My fitness instagram is @fit_ky now because I left my phd program lol. MFP won't let me change my user name :P

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Maybe I should post this update in a new thread? Meh oh well lol.

Replies

• a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    great progress!:flowerforyou:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiring post, thanks for sharing!
  • BrandiLou1984
    Options
    Looking so great!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Wow!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Looking great!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! :flowerforyou:
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration! You look incredible!
  • time4kim2014
    time4kim2014 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! How often do you lift each week and what is your height?
  • fittiephd
    Options
    You look fantastic! How often do you lift each week and what is your height?

Thanks! I aim to lift 4x a week, some it's 3 and some it's 5 or 6. But on average 4x. I am 5'8".
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Wow!! You look amazing, love reading progress stories like this. I've been looking into NROL4W so this is intriguing my interest even more seeing you started with it. Keep up the awesome progress!!
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You look great!!! It's very inspiring to see all the lifting before and after threads. I started lifting 4 months ago and I hope to look as good as you do in another year.:smile:
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Wow!! You look amazing, love reading progress stories like this. I've been looking into NROL4W so this is intriguing my interest even more seeing you started with it. Keep up the awesome progress!!

I think it's a great way to start! there are a few different beginners programs that are all a little different and are good for different people... I recommend checking out Stronglifts, NROLFW, Jamie eason's LiveFit, or Sean Sarantos 'Fit freak project'. If you're interested in the latter, PM me your email and I can send you the PDF instead of paying for it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress! I'm so glad that I've started lifting too. I hope to have great results like you did :flowerforyou:
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Wow! Very inspiring! Thank you!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    You will get results I promsie! Lifting is the best :)
  • mvcruz13
    mvcruz13 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi! I was wondering since you've done both Jamie Eason's live fit and the Sean Saranto's fit freak project, what's your take on them? I've done the Live fit and it was really good for a beginner like myself because it taught me the fundamentals but I found myself spending more than 2 hours at the gym... How is Fit Freak for you? Is it worth buying it or am I better off with one of bodybuilding.com's free plans? My e-mail is mvcruz13@hotmail.com . Congrats on your progress!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!