hula hooping

Options
bimpski
bimpski Posts: 176 Member
omg, am I the only one who can't keep the hula hoop up?? I've tried the regular kind and the weighted kind and it always ends up around my ankles! :sad: :blushing: any advice???

Replies

• bimpski
    Options
    anyone? :ohwell:
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    YES!!

I am so bad at this, i used to be awesome when i was a kid, im so jealous of people that get the hang of it, bc what a fun way to burn some cals

and no advice here sorry :)
  • bimpski
    Options
    yeah, me too french! I was great at it as a kid but don't know what I'm doing wrong. I guess i'll keep trying. maybe one day i'll get it?
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I bought a weighted hoop last year, and had to you tube how to hula hoop lol! The main thing is not to swing your hips side to side, but forward and backward. When the hoop touches your belly, push it out forward. Once I started doing this, it was pretty easy for me. Good luck!
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    For me, the larger the hoop, the better. I have a hard time keeping up the small ones. I think the general rule is to find a hoop that, when placed on its' end, reaches somewhere between your waist and chest. Other than that, practice makes perfect! :)
  • leasorath
    leasorath Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed that it is a lot harder for me if I'm wearing a baggy shirt/hoodie; all of the extra cloth seems to get tangled while trying to get the hula hoop going. It might just be an issue I have, but I have noticed when I'm wearing a tank-top or more form fitting clothes it becomes a lot easier. Best of luck to you!
  • rosie291289
    rosie291289 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Mine is slightly weighted and large.

I can't hula hoop with the light ones or small ones.

If it touches the floor in a few seconds just pick it up and try again, this is how I taught myself and can now do at least 5 minutes.
    I find it easier to hula hoop when I don't think about it, I watch tv and hula. If I think move this way that way I tend to fall out of sync and drop it!

Good luck and keep trying! X
  • CookieDoughYummy
    Options
    No chance, sorry. I have no *kitten* to keep the thing up lol.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I can do it ok when using the Wii... lol Not so much in real life...
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Start with the biggest and heaviest hoop you can find, try going forward and back or side to side, it differs for different people. Also experiment with going clockwise and anti-clockwise, see which one feels easier. Don't give up! It will become easier, I promise. You can then progress down to smaller and lighter hoops, eventually using a polypro and doing all sorts of trick. Keep happy hooping!
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The size of your hoop matters too. When you place in upright in front of you, it should at least reach your navel. For some adults, especially if you are beginning again, the hoop may have to come up to your upper abs.
    I would also suggest looking up Beginner Hooping tutorials on YouTube.