Jogging daily, good for a newbie?

Options
I have restarted my fitness journey two weeks ago, and mainly focussed on my diet. But now I want to start exercising like I should've right from the start!
I've started jogging (really can't call it running yet) and I was wondering... how good/bad would it be to jog daily? Because I can't go long/far enough yet for it to count as a heavy workout, and I want to increase my endurance, I thought about doing 2-3km (with walking breaks) daily instead of failing at three big runs a week.
My family insists that I need rest days and that I shouldn't jog two days in a row this early in my exercise regime.

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Rest days are good; that's when your muscles repair themselves.
    But, eh, are you overweight and if so, is it a lot? If you are overweight you might want to think about walking instead of running. Benefits without ****ing up your joints.

Good luck!
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm that much overweight. I'm 24, 5'4'', and weigh 163lbs (started at 176lbs). I want to get down to 132.
    So far I haven't noticed any pain in my joints or feet while jogging, but I do switch a lot between walking and jogging because I get out of breath quickly.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Conventional wisdom says you need those rest days - but you don't need to sit on the couch on your rest days. If the idea of having a day with no exercise bothers you, you could always run every other day and walk on your off days.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Conventional wisdom says you need those rest days - but you don't need to sit on the couch on your rest days. If the idea of having a day with no exercise bothers you, you could always run every other day and walk on your off days.

I second this! And also because you may find you get bored or discouraged doing the same thing every day- you don;t wanna get burned out just when you're starting :happy:
  • motormouse81
    motormouse81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try the couch to 5km program. You can get apps on both android and apple that will guide you through. It gets you out and gradually builds how far and long you jog. It's great for beginners because it takes you right from day dot to a point where you'll feel great jogging and it will happen safely. It also has great motivation as you listen to it. It's 30 - 40 min every two days so try alternating with some sit ups and push ups on you jogging days off.

Reminds me I should have another go at it myself! I really enjoyed it
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    'High-impact running forces can be about four to eight times more on your knees than walking, according to the Chester Knee Clinic & Cartilage Repair Centre. So if you're 200 pounds and start running, your knees are feeling about 800 to 1,600 pounds of pressure. Running is often a choice for weight loss if your knees and other joints are healthy. But if you have a lot of weight to lose, then start with a low-impact choice and work up to running to keep your knees healthy.'
    [http://woman.thenest.com/weight-knee-pressure-walking-running-cycling-22110.html]
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Because I can't go long/far enough yet for it to count as a heavy workout, and I want to increase my endurance, I thought about doing 2-3km (with walking breaks) daily instead of failing at three big runs a week.

You'll very quickly find yourself running further each session, so while every day probably isn't an issue this week, in about three weeks time you'll be running enough to start risking an over-use injury.

As running is a weight bearing activity you're 'damaging' your muscle and joint tissue, so resting, and eating enough protein and fats, allow the damage to repair.

I would suggest, similarly to upthread, that you try a progressive plan of some kind, the most common being a Couch to 5Km plan. there are podcasts or apps that can lead you through it. Essentially it's a nine week plan to get you up to 30 minutes of continuous running. You can get quite a lot of advice on the C25K group on here; http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

On your non running days try some form of cross training, bodyweight resistance is quite good as it helps retain lean mass, and helps prevent injury.

While you can run every day, you'll get more from a more balanced programme.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    But if you have a lot of weight to lose, then start with a low-impact choice and work up to running to keep your knees healthy.'

All valid points, but somewhat overplayed. A run/ walk plan is reasonably self regulating and combining with some resistance training or cross training can mitigate injury risk even more.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Start slow with walking and mix in short runs in the middle. As you progress over weeks gradually switch to all running. Then increase your distance about 10% a week. You will be able to run daily without pain. Running has made a huge difference for me. Happy running!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Start out with every other day, and carefully monitor any aches and pains. The body needs to harden to be able to withstand the impact, and that takes time. Find a good beginners running schedule and stick to it!
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

Pretty much everything that ThickMcRunFast says in the beginning.

FWIW, I'm training for a half marathon... I am only running 3 days a week. Take your rest days and don't be afraid of walking. It will let your bones, and muscles, and all that become accustomed to the demands of the very repetitive nature of running.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Take breaks. The body needs rest. Most things can be over done* so it's not surprising that running is one of them. Don't rush to get in shape and end up hurting yourself

*Except eating whole packs of cheese dogs. Apparently that can be done every day, no problem
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    *Except eating whole packs of cheese dogs. Apparently that can be done every day, no problem
    [/quote]

:laugh: hahaha, that is a great thread to start your day with.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I agree with the C25K idea as well. Rest days are important and, as with most things, it's very easy to overdue it at the beginning and then suffer an injury that puts you off that activity. You can most certainly walk on your "rest" days or even find another activity that you enjoy. Cycling, swimming, etc. Listen to your body and pace yourself and you'll do great :flowerforyou:
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When I started I ran one day and brisk walked the next. i'm not training for the Olympics or anything - so that's still what I'm doing. At first, it was really helpful- and i saw improvements in endurance really quickly as my body had time to rest and repair itself.