Fitbit - yay or nay?

Options
Ive been hearing lots of chatter on fitbit flex... I can be a bit of a sucker for gadgets and it often backfires on me... so fitbit flex? Who has one? How good is it really? How does it work regarding workouts etc? Help me decide whether to get one or not!! Thank you :)

Replies

• sammer825
    sammer825 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i just purchased a fitbit zip, i have used it once and am not a fan. It tracks your calories burned for 24 straight hours, so am i supposed to keep this thing on all day and night?! second, i was really just wanting something that i could track the calories i burned during a work out and theres not "reset" button to start the calorie count at the beginning of my work out. Im not sure if I'm using it correctly or i am just getting used to it? but for me, i really want to return mine. Maybe someone can give me advice on using my zip?
  • akotheim
    akotheim Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been wondering the exact same thing! I think it could be very helpful!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One, not the Flex (bracelet)

Remember that it is a fancy pedometer, and not a HRM. If you run or walk for your exercise you will love it. If you are mostly riding a stationary bike, this product is not for you.

I wear my Fitbit every day (usually clipped to my bra) and I love it! I walk and hike or do Leslie Sansone videos so it works great for me. It makes a game out of exercise as I am always trying to boost my steps and compete against those on my Friends list. There are badges that you can win as well.

I love it!
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Do you find it's accurate clipped on to you? I've been toying with the idea for a few months, but I've been put off for several reasons - they're quite expensive, would I stick with it, and how accurate would it be. I'm a vet so quite often I have my hands in mucky places or I need them uber clean for surgery so the flex isn't ideal for me.
  • cdobbs66
    cdobbs66 Posts: 23
    Options
    I started with the Flex and moved up to the Force. For me, it has been fantastic! It syncs with MFP, and it also syncs with my employers health site which gives me a discount on health insurance every quarter if I do 30 minutes of activity a day. I doubt you can find a Force since they are now recalled (although I have NO problems with my Force), so go for the Flex. The Flex is also waterproof, so wear it in the shower!

I like the looks of the Polar Loop and the Nike Fuel bands...but they sync to nothing except their own selfish selfs! Just take a look on MFP and what devices sync and choose for yourself.

Now...let's see what Apple comes up with in the iWatch if it happens, that could make me switch.

Let me know if you have any more questions, be glad to help.
  • 2wawas
    2wawas Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Fitbit One all the way - - have had it for 3 years....fabulous when synced with MFP...have lost 64 lbs...can't live without it!

I use MFP to journal my food and the Fitbit to track my exercise and calories burned...they're a dynamic duo. Set realistic goals and work towards them.

The Fitbit One also tracks sleep patterns so I wear it 24/7.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i just purchased a fitbit zip, i have used it once and am not a fan. It tracks your calories burned for 24 straight hours, so am i supposed to keep this thing on all day and night?! second, i was really just wanting something that i could track the calories i burned during a work out and theres not "reset" button to start the calorie count at the beginning of my work out. Im not sure if I'm using it correctly or i am just getting used to it? but for me, i really want to return mine. Maybe someone can give me advice on using my zip?

Part of the mission of the Fitbit makers is to get people more active throughout the day. I think part of the "Obesity Epidemic" is that we move less and less - we open e-mail instead of walking to the mailbox, we have our groceries delivered instead of walking up and down the aisles of the supermarket, etc. Getting more active in your everyday life - taking the stairs, parking further away from the door at the mall/office - it all adds up!

I love that Fitbit syncs up with My Fitness Pal so if I sit too much at my desk at work, then I see that I have to count my calories more closely. If I take a walk break at the office, rather than go sit down for coffee, those cals are available for my dinner :-)
  • bbchatter
    bbchatter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had the Fitbit Flex for one week. It takes a bit of research to get it all working smoothly. And I am not even sure I have it completely down yet.

I will preface this with the truth that I have NOT been back on track with my exercise for a few weeks. But I like the thing! I really like to see my sleep tracker. The first day I had it I slept wonderfully. The rest of this week, I have not slept well. And I reason that this is because the first day I had it I exercised. So for me, working out provides a more restful sleep.

It syncs with MFP and MFP seems to sync back with it. Since my food diary sort of appears on Fitbit stats. It just shows a meal and some calories and water. Still trying to figure it all out.

I like it so far. It will be more fun when the snow finally melts and I can walk more. I use a mini-stepper inside for now, but it's new as well.

I think it will be helpful in pushing me to finish up my "steps" goal for the day. I just have to figure out how to tell me that before 7PM so there is still time to get the steps in.

I have read reviews about the wrist band breaking after 3 months. So I baby that a bit. A charge has lasted all week. I don't know how helpful this is, but it's fun and has excellent resale value if you don't find it useful.

So far I like it.
  • emmasimmons35
    Options
    Riding a bike- could I put the flex round my ankle in that instance? I dont cycle on a huge scale but I do home exercise dvds a lot would they be registered? I did toy with a polar watch but I like that the fitbit would sync on mfp! I did read about the force being recalled :/
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have the One. I considered the Flex but I was concerned that I'd get false steps from hand/arm movements.

I walk during my half hour lunch break. That's good for 1.5 to 2 miles. But the real value of the Fitbit is its motivational factor. Since getting my FB I find myself making up excuses to walk more whenever and wherever I can during the day, resulting in 5 to 7 miles of total walking, giving me an additional 500 to 900 calories burned each day.

If you're looking for a device to clip on only when you go for a run or a walk, don't buy the FB. Get a HRM instead. But if you want something that can track your runs and walks and also track daily general activity and most important - get you off your butt and get you moving - buy the FB.
  • Clint9913
    Clint9913 Posts: 15
    Options
    I purchased the FitBit Flex about 45 days ago after I had surgery, since my doctor forbade my elliptical training for a coupe of weeks. It kept track of my walking and it syncs well with MFP. Just be aware, as some of the other members here have stated, it's only good for walking or running. You can manually enter your elliptical, bicycling, or any other calorie burning activity into MFP which will in turn syn with the Flex. In addition, all of the walking you do during your daily routine will give you a calorie burn count which will in turn be reflected in your daily MFP diary. Take it with a grain of salt. It's good to know, but I would depend on it if you're damn serious about loosing weight in a timely manner. Overall, I think the money spent on the Flex was worth it for me. Hope this helps?
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One also, and absolutely love it! I find it very motivating and gives me a better idea of my daily energy expenditure as days can vary wildly in my job.

Took me a good week (and a lot of google-ing) to get it all working smoothly, but now I would feel lost without it! I also use a HRM to track my workouts, and it all syncs up between MFP and the Fitbit system. :)
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Historically, whenever I respond to a Fitbit thread, it's to counter the overwhelming "yay" responses with a "meh" (not nay though). However I've come to appreciate what it does well - track everyday non-exercise activity. That is, walking.

If you're looking for it to track heavy exercise, as a poster upthread did, well that's a mistake. I find that if I manually track the heavier exercise accurately (time of day and duration) on MFP the Fitbit fills in the remaining details nicely. Perhaps if walking isn't a big part of your activity, it won't help, for me though, most of how I get around town is via walking and varies greatly day by day.

I've never used one of the wrist devices, I have a One. I do want to suggest the One over a wrist device, as I think the One tracks motion more accurately while the Flex data can be skewed by something like playing the piano, or use your imagination to think of other activities that could exaggerate steps.
  • oldmanrivererik
    oldmanrivererik Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I got a flex a couple of months ago. Its neat and I like it. If you need the money for something else though just save your money. It has not revolutionized my weight loss. It makes me more aware of my activity level or lack thereof so that is a good thing. I can tell days where i do not get enough activity shows up on the scale. I kind of knew this already though. its a fancy pedometer and if you like gadgets and information gathering its pretty cool. if you need the money I wouldnt get it or maybe go with one of the cheaper models which people seem to like as well.
  • ks_piper
    ks_piper Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit for almost a year now and love it. I've the One (clip style) and it was great except I couldn't stand the holder you put it in while you sleep. I'm a light sleeper so it was a big deal. Got a Force and LOVED it. Really great, but of course recalled (I had no issues with mine). So now I'm using a Flex and I really like it. I barely notice it is there. And really, for me, the data motivates me. I'm constantly challenging myself to find ways to be more active and hit my step goal every day as well as active minutes and miles. I work at a desk and am a full time student so it can be challenging.

I will say I'm probably going to shelve my Fitbit at the end of the year though for the Atlas: http://atlaswearables.com/ It will have the capability to measure heart rate and will be able to track and sense the different in exercises like pushups vs a lunge, bicep curls vs alternating bicep curls and will even be able to track swimming. As well as all the Fitbit usuals: steps, calories burned and sleep. It all depends on what motivates you to exercise I think.
  • jim180155
    Options
    Riding a bike- could I put the flex round my ankle in that instance? I dont cycle on a huge scale but I do home exercise dvds a lot would they be registered? I did toy with a polar watch but I like that the fitbit would sync on mfp! I did read about the force being recalled :/

You could use it for cycling, but cycling is not what it thinks it's measuring. The Fitbit is designed to measure steps, so it's good for walking, running, running in place, jumping, etc. If you strap it to your ankle and ride your bike, it'll think the motion is from steps, and spinning a pedal in circles is not the same as carrying your body weight and moving it through space.

So yes, it would give you results from cycling, but the results would be total nonsense.
  • emmasimmons35
    Options
    Ahh ok regarding cycling I get it now! Hmm looks as tho a HRM may be more appropriate for my needs! So a new search begins :'( thank you for all of your help guys!!
  • 63babygirl
    63babygirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just received my fitbit Flex yesterday and so far I am liking it and have it synced to MFP. Clint9916, Your post was very helpful as far as the manual logging of certain cardio exercises into the flex.
  • jim180155
    Options
    Ahh ok regarding cycling I get it now! Hmm looks as tho a HRM may be more appropriate for my needs! So a new search begins :'( thank you for all of your help guys!!

Personally, I'd start with a HRM. I love cycling and I use my HRM to push and monitor myself on "training" days and to make sure I'm taking it easy enough on recovery days. I wouldn't want to cycle without my HRM.

I do my strength training in the mornings. Neither the HRM or Fitbit are any good for tracking that.

And then for the rest of the day I'm wearing my Fitbit. I've been amazed at how many burned calories I can rack up (if I'm trying) with "non-exercise."

Eventually I think it makes a lot of sense to buy both. But in your particular case, I'd start with a good HRM.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've been using the fitbit flex since Christmas and really like having the additional information. I spent some time on google trying to figure out how to get the most out of it and incorporated a few tricks that helped.

First, as one of the other poster's mentioned, it is an activity monitor and unlike heart rate monitors, it is meant to be worn 24/7 to get the most accurate estimate of your daily activity. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the flex tracked my steps - I wear it on my non-dominate hand and haven't noticed it picking up any other arm movements as steps. In fact, it seems to struggle to track steps if I use the 'ski poles' on the elliptical machine because it isn't a natural striding motion.

Since your daily activity includes your BMR, don't be shocked when the Fitbit app tells you that you've already burned xx amount of calories first thing in the morning.

When I go to the gym, I double tap it to put it into sleep mode during my workout and double tap again to go back to normal when I'm finished to get an activity record. I refer back to this record when I'm logging my workout in MFP. It helps me log my time more accurately so the two applications can work together. It also has opened my eyes to ACTUAL workout time vs time in the gym. We have a lot of chatty members who value the social time as much as the workout itself, so 90 minutes in the gym does not always equal 90 minutes of exercise. :laugh: :grumble: :laugh:

If you do a lot of stairs, or have a job where you should have things attached to your wrist, get a Fitbit One. If you want a tracker that you don't have to worry about accidentally putting through the washer, get the Flex. If you want to only track steady state cardio, save your money for a heart rate monitor.