11 Foods to Gain Weight ???

Options
This is my first community post so "HEY!" :)

I have jumped back on the food tracking and exercising bandwagon. I have logged in for 13 days consecutively. The last time I used MFP, I lost 20lbs in about 2 months and pretty easily. Now I am struggling to move the scale even though I thought I was being a lot more conscious of my where my calories were coming from and trying to eat clean. (I am also exercising way more than last time.) Then I read this article, http://www.activebeat.com/diet-nutrition/11-foods-that-will-make-you-gain-weight/ , and realized that maybe I am eating the wrong things still?? Is my diet really holding back my weight loss that much? I am usually right around 1300 calories a day. Any advice on my food diary or motivation is appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article but I didn't need to. No one food will make you gain. An excess of calories from any source will do this.

I looked back in your diary. You haven't even been tracking accurately for a week. Last Friday and Saturday have dinner and lunch missing in them. The first thing I would do is track accurately for several weeks. Another thing, you like peanut butter but it appears you're using measuring cups and spoons? Weigh it. Peanut butter is very calorie dense, you could very well be underestimating your intake by only using eye balled portion sizes and measuring cups for solids. Only use measuring cups for liquids. Also, this is a helpful read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    What she said! Oh, and welcome!
  • Nicolemca0317
    Options
    Thanks! I thought measuring with spoons and cups was the way to go but had considered weighing. I will buy a scale. Hopefully, that helps with my accuracy. Thanks again for your input
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, I didn't even read it. It's not necessary. You will gain weight by eating at a surplus. You will lose weight by eating at a deficit. So choose the foods you like, but eat less if them :-)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I have jumped back on the food tracking and exercising bandwagon. I have logged in for 13 days consecutively. The last time I used MFP, I lost 20lbs in about 2 months and pretty easily. Now I am struggling to move the scale even though I thought I was being a lot more conscious of my where my calories were coming from and trying to eat clean. (I am also exercising way more than last time.) Then I read this article, http://www.activebeat.com/diet-nutrition/11-foods-that-will-make-you-gain-weight/ , and realized that maybe I am eating the wrong things still?? Is my diet really holding back my weight loss that much? I am usually right around 1300 calories a day. Any advice on my food diary or motivation is appreciated!! Thanks!

you completely misinterpreted the article. it lists 11 healthy foods to gain weight. the title is not super clear, but these aren't foods to avoid. Lean red meat, nut butter, whole milk, tropical fruits like the mango, and avocados are all listed for their health benefits.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, that article is for people who are trying to gain weight in a healthy way. In no way was it trying to discourage eating certain foods. It advises things like drinking whole milk instead of skim, for example. It's not a bad piece, assuming someone doesn't read it in the opposite way that it's intended.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

you completely misinterpreted the article. it lists 11 healthy foods to gain weight. the title is not super clear, but these aren't foods to avoid. Lean red meat, nut butter, whole milk, tropical fruits like the mango, and avocados are all listed for their health benefits.

This^^^

Also, it is just illustrating that fat is calorie dense and so eating a lot of high fat (and please note that fat is an essential macronutrient) is likely going to aid in gaining weight because you don't need to eat a lot of it to exceed your calorie targets. There are not foods in and of themselves that make you gain or lose weight, it's all about the calories.