Need help for slimming thick thighs

What exercise(s) work to slim the thighs? I have always had thick thighs, even in high school when I was 125lbs. Now I'm 45 y/o, 5'-6" and 136 but my thighs (and booty) are like blubber, with cellulite...gross! I'm not getting into a swimsuit (or even shorts) until I lose some inches and tone up these legs! I can't lift weights due to lower back issues. Last week I started walking 30-min day on treadmill but are there other exercises I can do to see results quicker? I eat a pretty healthy diet and stay within my calorie range most days. Once it warms up I will walk a lot more outside :)

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Weights!! My thighs have had great improvement since I started lifting... barbell squats & deadlifts are good for the thighs and bum
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    None. Seriously.

You can't spot reduce. You just need to keep eating at a deficit to lose body fat. Eventually, the fat will come off your legs.

That said - squats, deadlifts, and lunges will help keep your legs strong and help you retain muscle, so that it's primarily body fat that you lose. Just be aware that - for short periods after training your legs - you may see slight size increases, as your body floods the muscles with water to help in their repair. But that's just for short periods - they'll shrink over time. Another note - ensure you get enough protein, to also help keep the muscles as intact as possible.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Weights!! My thighs have had great improvement since I started lifting... barbell squats & deadlifts are good for the thighs and bum
    OP said she couldn't do weights because of her back!
    I also have back problems -- two surgeries and a fusion -- so no weights for me.

Can you do half-squats -- just dipping far enough so that your thighs are parallel to the floor? That would help.

Also, lunges.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    No exercise will give you the ability to spot reduce a specific area. Eat at a deficit. You need to so some sort of resistance training, even if it isn't lifting. Otherwise, you'll lose muscle as well as fat, and that can lead to a flabbier look. Look into a program like You Are Your Own Gym. Bret Contreras also has a bodyweight only program in his Strong Curves book as well. I'm running his advanced program right now, and I like it. Also, bear in mind that cellulite is a type of fat, and even "skinny" people can have it. A lot of it comes down to genetics.
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    Since I've completed C25K and started running I can see a big difference in my legs! Moreso in my calves but my thighs are definitely getting stronger and more toned.

So maybe try doing high incline walks (tough but a better burn) at first then start c25k? That's if you think you might enjoy running that is.
    I am a big advocate for NOT doing anything that's going to make you miserable :D
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    None. Seriously.

You can't spot reduce. You just need to keep eating at a deficit to lose body fat. Eventually, the fat will come off your legs.

That said - squats, deadlifts, and lunges will help keep your legs strong and help you retain muscle, so that it's primarily body fat that you lose. Just be aware that - for short periods after training your legs - you may see slight size increases, as your body floods the muscles with water to help in their repair. But that's just for short periods - they'll shrink over time. Another note - ensure you get enough protein, to also help keep the muscles as intact as possible.

THIS.
  • summerjoy87
    summerjoy87 Posts: 13 Member
    I found an exercise routine online today at Women's Health Mag.com - the sculpt your butt routine. It doesn't use weights, but there are lunges, etc. I just completed it, and will try it for a couple of weeks. I will say the jumping exercise back into a lunge I did not attempt. Felt like that would be asking for trouble! LOL
  • Emmie112
    Emmie112 Posts: 121 Member
    I know you don't want to wear a swimsuit yet but I find swimming to be a great for legs and its a good cardio workout.