Protein Sources

Options
According to the calculations from the nutrition tracker thing on here (LOL) my goal protein intake should be something like 40g...but here's the rub...I had my gallbladder removed a while back and since then I can't digest animal products for squat, so I don't eat or drink much meat or dairy. I guess I need an alternative source for protein?

Anyone with experience or input, i'd greatly appreciate your help on this. I'm pretty much a health newb so I have no idea where to start! hahahaha

Thanks!!

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    According to the calculations from the nutrition tracker thing on here (LOL) my goal protein intake should be something like 40g...but here's the rub...I had my gallbladder removed a while back and since then I can't digest animal products for squat, so I don't eat or drink much meat or dairy. I guess I need an alternative source for protein?

Anyone with experience or input, i'd greatly appreciate your help on this. I'm pretty much a health newb so I have no idea where to start! hahahaha

Thanks!!

Yogurt (make sure it's relatively low sugar), cottage cheese (watch the sodium), nuts (watch serving sizes and go for unsalted), tofu (normally I wouldn't suggest it since it's highly processed, but it's obviously better than nothing for you), and soy!
  • ashleyj4321
    Options
    Hey ! A couple ideas for you... Fat Free Cottage cheese, or low fat, string cheese, tofu, protein shakes, there are protein bars, greek yogurt has a lot of protein as well. Brands like chobani or Fage' .Hope that helps :)
  • RebekahKuhl
    RebekahKuhl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also beans (kidney, black, etc) and quinoa are good sources.
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options
    I had no idea they even MADE fat free cottage cheese?!
    Is it the actual fat in the dairy that's hard to digest you think?

Also, I was just talking to a guy friend of mine (a fitness buff in his own right) and he suggested a "whey protein powder". He said there was one called "Isofemme" just for women that his wife makes shakes out of. Is there any point? Is food-based protein better?

Sorry for the 20 questions, I just want to get this right. :D
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I had no idea they even MADE fat free cottage cheese?!
    Is it the actual fat in the dairy that's hard to digest you think?

Also, I was just talking to a guy friend of mine (a fitness buff in his own right) and he suggested a "whey protein powder". He said there was one called "Isofemme" just for women that his wife makes shakes out of. Is there any point? Is food-based protein better?

Sorry for the 20 questions, I just want to get this right. :D

Food based protein is much more easily digested. If you're having a problem with dairy...it's most likely due to milk sugars (lactose). There are tons of soy/rice/coconut/hemp products that mimic dairy. Great coconut milk yogurts and milks, hemp milk, rice milk...ect. If you want a vegetarian/vegan based protein shake go with Vega...best around and there is no soy involved...too much soy can cause hormonal issues. PM if you wish. I've been a vegetarian for 25 years...I can give you tons of ideas.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    isolate protein shakes
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    isolate protein shakes

Yes...good option. Isopure makes some great ones.
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options
    Thanks!
    I pm'd you. :D
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    Food based protein is much more easily digested. If you're having a problem with dairy...it's most likely due to milk sugars (lactose). There are tons of soy/rice/coconut/hemp products that mimic dairy. Great coconut milk yogurts and milks, hemp milk, rice milk...ect. If you want a vegetarian/vegan based protein shake go with Vega...best around and there is no soy involved...too much soy can cause hormonal issues. PM if you wish. I've been a vegetarian for 25 years...I can give you tons of ideas.

May I ask what research has lead you to the summation that Food Based Protein is more easily digested than a supplement like Whey Protein Isolate?

The food that rates the highest on the BV scale (measures the amount of protein - or more precisely, the nitrogen - retained in the human body per gram of protein absorbed) is a whole egg at a score of 100. Followed by cow's milk (91), fish (83), beef (80), chicken (79) and THEN soy (74), rice (59), wheat (54) and beans at a score of 49. However, Whey Protein rates a 100 on the BV scale.

As well, Whey Protein absorbs much faster than food protein. This is important for your body after a workout.

However, food based protein WILL give you a higher metabolism because of the thermic effect of digesting real food.

My point is that it is NOT necessary to take supplements like Whey if you are eating a balanced diet and you are not cutting calories. However, if you are lactose intolerant and you don't eat alot of meat AND you are trying to cut calories, I would highly recommend a Whey Isolate supplement.
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options
    Thank you for your insight. :D

I don't know that i'm lactose intolerant, but regardless of that fact, I don't consume much meat or dairy period. So i'm obviously lacking in my current diet and probably in a sad state nutritionally.

Do you have any personal reccommendations for a whey protein isolate?
  • guardup
    Options
    Thank you for your insight. :D

I don't know that i'm lactose intolerant, but regardless of that fact, I don't consume much meat or dairy period. So i'm obviously lacking in my current diet and probably in a sad state nutritionally.

Do you have any personal reccommendations for a whey protein isolate?

I happen to be Lactose Intolerant as well. Amazing how painful that can be.

I use Jarrow Whey Protein. It is all natural. However, it is NOT an Isolate. It IS filtered and that does remove most of the lactose. I can handle it as long as I am properly hydrated.

If even small amounts of Lactose are a problem, try Dymatize All Natural Elite Whey Protein Isolate. It is a little more expensive than Jarrow but it does have more protein and calcium per serving (although fewer servings per container).

Jarrow's taste is... well... okay. I mix it with chocolate soy milk and it's not a problem. I have never tasted Dymatize... but I have heard good things about it. Both are all natural with no artificial sweeteners, colors or flavors.

One other thing... with your lactose and animal protein intolerance, make sure you are getting enough calcium and iron in your diet. You can use supplements or be very attentive to your veggie intake... there are lots of excellent veggies high in both of those elements. You just have to be religious about eating them every day.

I would also highly recommend that you visit a nutritionist. They will be able to present you with more options and see if you have any other conditions to consider.

Best of luck.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Bile is made in the liver and secreted to the small intestine by the gallbladder. If there is no gallbladder, there is an issue with bile secretion to the small intestine. Since bile's job is to emulsify fat in the small intestines, it is actually the high fat level of meats and diary products that is probably your problem and not lactose intolerance. Although, you could still be lactose intolerant, but I wouldn't place bets on it. Switch to low fat and fat free meats and dairy and you should be able to get all of your protein without a problem with digestion.

Also, whey protein is a milk protein so it isn't a vegan product if that is something you are concerned with. Whey is the most biologically available protein there is, though, so it is great for those with problems getting enough protein and it being absorbed by the body. The reason milk rates lower on the biological availability scale is because milk has a mix of whey and casein protein and casein by itself is lower then both whey and milk on biological availability. I highly recommend whey because of it's ease of use by the body, but obviously not if you are vegan. ;)
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. :happy:
    I was considering veganism solely because of my digestion issues and I feel so miserable after eating animal products. If my body can digest it easily then i'm game. LOL

I am slightly anemic, so I do already take an iron supplement. My obgyn actually offered to write me a standing perscription for the prenatal vitamin I was taking while I was pregnant with my son (multivitamin with added amounts of folic acid and iron, DHA and ARA) And also, I bought a fiber supplement and calcium supplement as well (viactiv) because I wanted to nurse my son. But sadly, that didn't work out.

These days my diet consists mostly of raw fruits and veggies, potatoes and white rice, oatmeal or granola. All easy to process. Exciting, right? haha When I do eat meat I generally feel like crap for a couple of days. (and I never eat pork. It's absolute murder on my stomach)

If I did get a whey protein powder, would I put it in fat-free milk? Or water?
  • guardup
    Options
    I put my whey protein in light soy milk. If you can do fat free milk then you are likely not lactose intolerant and it shouldnt be an issue.
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options
    I put my whey protein in light soy milk. If you can do fat free milk then you are likely not lactose intolerant and it shouldnt be an issue.

Great! I'll give it a shot! I haven't tried fat free milk yet so we'll see how it goes!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If I did get a whey protein powder, would I put it in fat-free milk? Or water?

Whatever you prefer. I do a chocolate whey protein in skim milk to get that chocolate milk taste but a little healthier (ie: lower in sugar), but when I do vanilla whey protein, I prefer it in a smoothie with frozen fruit and juice. I can't do any of them with water. Just can't stand the taste. Protein powder is an acquired taste and even after years of consuming it, I've yet to acquire the taste for it by itself or with just plain water.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I really would make sure you talk to a doctor about your medical history before you decide to change up your diet too much. This is a great community, but we are not doctors, and I would hate for you to cause problems for your health because a bunch of people on a message board tried to tell you what you can and can't eat.

A doctor should be able to tell you the proper kind of proteins you can eat without your gallbladder and still stay healthy.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Isofemme is a marketing ploy. Regular Whey Isolate is perfectly fine for women to use and provides all the benefits of fast-absorbing whey protein that you would get from Isofemme. Paying more for something that is supposedly "tailored" to women's needs assumes that all women have the SAME needs... It's just a silly way for Allmax to make more money off the backs of women who wear pink-workout gear and want shakes that taste like a strawberry daiquiri. I use the IsoFlex Whey Protein and it works just fine - mix with water/almond milk/soy milk/juice/etc and you're good to go. If you are dairy-free though, Whey could be an issue since it is not lactose-free.

Good luck.
  • ElizabethMcCathern
    Options
    Wow you guys have been so helpful!!!

I have spoken with my GP tentatively. She did say I needed so be super careful about not dipping too low in my calories (i have a prior history of anorexia nervosa in my teens) or overdoing it, and to continue taking iron "without fail", but beyond that, she said that as long as what i'm doing is "reasonable" and I don't go off the deep end i'll be ok.

And thank you so much about the whey protien info. That sounds like the way to go for now until I can gradually start introducing low-fat/fat free meat and dairy into my diet.