The Worst Nutrition Advice in History (article)

Options

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what law of physics cico applies to....energy? Thermodynamics? If it's thermodynamics, then entropy is a fascinating glitch in the argument.

the human body is not a closed system

Yes, yes, I'm aware. Also believe cico is correct. But I don't think cico is a law of physics as quoted in this thread.

No worries...move on. This is great entertainment.
    CICO is not a law of physics.

What I was asking is if a human body contains X amount of calories in lipid/CHO/protein molecules, and then later comes to contain a larger total calorie content of those molecules, without having ingested any, then please explain how this occurs, and do so in a way that does not violate the known laws of physics.

Because this is what whatshername was suggesting happens as a result of someone taking medication:
    So, when someone takes a medication that causes dramatic weight gain, do you think it causes their metabolism to immediately slow down?

That is NOT what I was suggesting. That is simply how you chose to interpret it -- that is not the only way to interpret what I was suggesting. I was suggesting that there may be other factors than the simple math equation of CICO that can result in weight loss/gain or that our understanding of the TDEE end of the equation is inaccurate or incomplete due to flawed, inaccurate or misunderstood assumptions for said calculation and equation. And, even more extreme, that weight loss and/or gain may not merely be a purely caloric equation as it currently professed in CICO even though the simplicity of CICO is both appealing and comforting.

I believe that's often why you see many people make the disclaimer about medical conditions and abnormalities -- because it isn't nearly so easy to explain those phenomena with the oversimplication of CICO. For example, why you see different weight losses for insulin resistant obese women on different macronutrient diets of the same caloric value/deficit. If it were all about pure calories, then the macronutrient balance wouldn't matter, right? And, yet, it does...so there may be something inherent in the type of calories, the metabolic pathways influenced or used by those nutrients that affects the equation, and yet, isn't readily apparent to us (yet).

Once again, these are the exceptions and not the rule, but that's why most rules have limits on their usefulness.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Interesting; Everything in proper balance.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what law of physics cico applies to....energy? Thermodynamics? If it's thermodynamics, then entropy is a fascinating glitch in the argument.

Yes, yes, I'm aware. Also believe cico is correct. But I don't think cico is a law of physics as quoted in this thread.

What I was asking is if a human body contains X amount of calories in lipid/CHO/protein molecules, and then later comes to contain a larger total calorie content of those molecules, without having ingested any, then please explain how this occurs, and do so in a way that does not violate the known laws of physics.

Because this is what whatshername was suggesting happens as a result of someone taking medication:
    So, when someone takes a medication that causes dramatic weight gain, do you think it causes their metabolism to immediately slow down?

That is NOT what I was suggesting. That is simply how you chose to interpret it -- that is not the only way to interpret what I was suggesting. I was suggesting that there may be other factors than the simple math equation of CICO that can result in weight loss/gain or that our understanding of the TDEE end of the equation is inaccurate or incomplete due to flawed, inaccurate or misunderstood assumptions for said calculation and equation. And, even more extreme, that weight loss and/or gain may not merely be a purely caloric equation as it currently professed in CICO even though the simplicity of CICO is both appealing and comforting.

I believe that's often why you see many people make the disclaimer about medical conditions and abnormalities -- because it isn't nearly so easy to explain those phenomena with the oversimplication of CICO. For example, why you see different weight losses for insulin resistant obese women on different macronutrient diets of the same caloric value/deficit. If it were all about pure calories, then the macronutrient balance wouldn't matter, right? And, yet, it does...so there may be something inherent in the type of calories, the metabolic pathways influenced or used by those nutrients that affects the equation, and yet, isn't readily apparent to us (yet).

Once again, these are the exceptions and not the rule, but that's why most rules have limits on their usefulness.

Different weight losses occur between people on the same caloric deficit, because the intake of calories does not match their individual output. You can't expect everyone's output to be the same. This is why the input part of the equation is important. It doesn't invalidate CICO.

And if you are speaking of one woman who loses weight differently despite having the same caloric input if she messes around with her macros, I don't think any data exists that this happens. In fact I am pretty sure it doesn't. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Here are two examples of why a calorie is NOT a calorie:

Protein: Eating a high protein diet can boost metabolism by 80-100 calories per day and significantly reduce appetite and cravings. Protein calories have a different effect than carb or fat calories (32, 33, 34).
    Satiety: Many studies show that different foods have varying effects on feelings of fullness. You need much fewer calories to feel full from eggs or boiled potatoes, compared to donuts or ice cream (35).
    There are many more examples of foods and macronutrients having vastly different effects on hunger and hormones.

The myth that calories are all that matters for weight (and health) is completely wrong.
    No, those are not examples of why "a calorie is NOT a calorie".
    They are examples of how food that has one calorie of energy may affect the 'calories out' portion of calories in vs calories out.
    It does not mean that one calorie of that food has two calories of energy.
    Most of the times I buy icecream, I ride a return trip of 6-10 miles to the shops on a push bike to get it.
    Does that mean that icecream in this situation has a lot less calories because I burn some in the process?
    No.
    I'm not sure about that. Yet what I do know is if you eat your ice cream with a fork, half the calories magically fall between the prongs. It's scientifically proven.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Protein: Eating a high protein diet can boost metabolism by 80-100 calories per day and significantly reduce appetite and cravings. Protein calories have a different effect than carb or fat calories (32, 33, 34).
    Satiety: Many studies show that different foods have varying effects on feelings of fullness. You need much fewer calories to feel full from eggs or boiled potatoes, compared to donuts or ice cream (35).
    There are many more examples of foods and macronutrients having vastly different effects on hunger and hormones.

The myth that calories are all that matters for weight (and health) is completely wrong.
    They are examples of how food that has one calorie of energy may affect the 'calories out' portion of calories in vs calories out.
    Most of the times I buy icecream, I ride a return trip of 6-10 miles to the shops on a push bike to get it.
    Does that mean that icecream in this situation has a lot less calories because I burn some in the process?
    No.
    I'm not sure about that. Yet what I do know is if you eat your ice cream with a fork, half the calories magically fall between the prongs. It's scientifically proven.

Now you've got the right formula: F - FH - CO = CD

Where
    F = Food
    FH = Food Holes
    CO = Calories Out
    CD = Caloric Deficit
  • QuietBloom
    Options

No.

:laugh:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

This should be the final word - CICO is good enough for the purposes of regulating body weight on a daily basis, but the human body is so much more complex than just adding and subtracting numbers from food labels and HRM calorie burn estimates.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

This should be the final word - CICO is good enough for the purposes of regulating body weight on a daily basis, but the human body is so much more complex than just adding and subtracting numbers from food labels and HRM calorie burn estimates.

No, it's really not. Watch the scale and adjust CI and CO as necessary. And CICO is not intended to regulate body weight on a DAILY basis, but rather for the long term. Daily body weight regulation doesn't even make sense, as I can weigh myself, go drink some coffee, hop on the scale and I then weigh more. Without having ingested any more than 4 calories. :ohwell:
  • deannc1
    deannc1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't think the article dissed calorie counting for weight loss. Instead it seemed to me that they pointed out that just meeting a calorie goal did not mean you met nutritional needs.

Agreed.
  • jim180155
    Options

Should be the final word? Heh.

I agree that for most of us, CICO is good enough. At least for the foreseeable future, CICO gets us about as far as we're going to get in understanding what we're doing.

Where I draw the line is when people here start telling other people that they're wrong, they're not measuring properly, or that they're lying. Those comments are usually followed with "special snowflakes."

I think people should follow CICO. If it's not working, find out why. It could be due to improper measuring or failing to count ALL the food consumed. It could be bad estimates of calorie burns. It could be a physiological problem. It could be any number of things. It's one thing to suggest some of the possible causes. It's something else altogether to tell people that CICO works and therefore they are not doing what they claim to be and to call them special snowflakes.

Note: Some people really do deserve the "special snowflakes" moniker. But the rest of us have no way of knowing who fits that category and who doesn't. It's pretty arrogant to think that you know more about other people on the internet than they know about themselves.
  • bobcat1948
    Options
    I agree with you totally. I am reading Grain Brain and it says basically the same thing. The body produces cholesterol and is not influenced by the cholesterol that we eat as much as we have been told. He recommends more fats and protein as a way to lose weight and stay healthy. Stay away from ALL grains due to nutrients lost in processing. Eat moderately fruit and steel cut oatmeal.
    The big A is caused by following the Government guidelines. The Bible has a list of quality foods that we should be eating. Wishing you the best in His Name.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I agree that for most of us, CICO is good enough. At least for the foreseeable future, CICO gets us about as far as we're going to get in understanding what we're doing.

Where I draw the line is when people here start telling other people that they're wrong, they're not measuring properly, or that they're lying. Those comments are usually followed with "special snowflakes."

I think people should follow CICO. If it's not working, find out why. It could be due to improper measuring or failing to count ALL the food consumed. It could be bad estimates of calorie burns.It could be a physiological problem. It could be any number of things. It's one thing to suggest some of the possible causes. It's something else altogether to tell people that CICO works and therefore they are not doing what they claim to be and to call them special snowflakes.

Note: Some people really do deserve the "special snowflakes" moniker. But the rest of us have no way of knowing who fits that category and who doesn't. It's pretty arrogant to think that you know more about other people on the internet than they know about themselves.

It's not 'any number of things' though. There are many things that can effect either side of the equation, yes. But the equation is still valid. Calories in must be less than calories out in order to lose weight. That is the simple beauty of it. It is so simple, that it confounds many people.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I agree with you totally. I am reading Grain Brain and it says basically the same thing. The body produces cholesterol and is not influenced by the cholesterol that we eat as much as we have been told. He recommends more fats and protein as a way to lose weight and stay healthy. Stay away from ALL grains due to nutrients lost in processing. Eat moderately fruit and steel cut oatmeal.
    The big A is caused by following the Government guidelines. The Bible has a list of quality foods that we should be eating. Wishing you the best in His Name.

What is 'The big A'? Also, the Biblical guidelines for food were for the Jewish people living during the times of the Old Testament. They were never meant to be the last word for all people at all times since then.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

And here you go again. If someone gains fat it is because they are in a caloric surplus. That's all that CICO says. The rest is stuff you're making up.

There is no other way for one to have gained weight via new fat in their body. Medicines or metabolic problems do not make a person capable of creating free energy, which would be necessary for one to produce new lipid molecules without an energy source.

Medicines and metabolic conditions can change how much energy is extracted or utilized or lost by the body. This is not a surprise to anybody, except maybe you, because you keep bringing it up.

I believe that's often why you see many people make the disclaimer about medical conditions and abnormalities -- because it isn't nearly so easy to explain those phenomena with the oversimplication of CICO.
    No, you see these disclaimers because people (like you) tend to misinterpret CICO to mean that in and out are constants determined by an online calculator that cannot possibly change.
    For example, why you see different weight losses for insulin resistant obese women on different macronutrient diets of the same caloric value/deficit. If it were all about pure calories, then the macronutrient balance wouldn't matter, right?
    Yes it matters, because a person's different handling of different macronutrients would change either the "in" or "out" sides of the equation.

The version of CICO that you have made up in your own imagination IS wrong. But that doesn't reflect on the veracity of the real CICO model.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    http://godhatesshrimp.com/
  • jim180155
    Options
    It's not 'any number of things' though. There are many things that can effect either side of the equation, yes. But the equation is still valid. Calories in must be less than calories out in order to lose weight. That is the simple beauty of it. It is so simple, that it confounds many people.

Yes. It's so simple it obviously confounds you.

CICO is not an equation. An equation would be CI - CO = CD (where CD is Caloric Deficit).

You admit that other things can factor either side of the "equation," yet you fail to see that CICO is incomplete. If other things can affect the equation, those things are factors, and they ought to be factored in to the equation. To ignore them is to have an incomplete equation.

I stand by what I said earlier: We should follow CICO (or CI - CO = CD). IF it doesn't work for some of us, we should try to find out why, because there is some other unaccounted for factor messing up the simple equation.

And the rest of us should not be judging those people having trouble or trying to impose our simpleton ideas on others.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

No, it's really not. Watch the scale and adjust CI and CO as necessary. And CICO is not intended to regulate body weight on a DAILY basis, but rather for the long term. Daily body weight regulation doesn't even make sense, as I can weigh myself, go drink some coffee, hop on the scale and I then weigh more. Without having ingested any more than 4 calories. :ohwell:

I look at what I'm doing meal by meal, daily and also weekly. I'm in great shape, at a healthy weight, I eat things that make me happy, and it therefore it makes perfect sense to me. Whether it makes sense to you or not isn't a high priority.
  • pp8765
    pp8765 Posts: 11
    Options
    In general a lot of this rings true, except I do value watching calories as part of a good plan just as others have said. Just curious: It's clear that the article says yolks are good and butter is better than margarine, but I don't see any "good" option in the section about oils.

>>>We are commonly advised to consume seed- and vegetable oils that are high in polyunsaturated fats.
    >>>These oils, including soybean, corn, canola and cottonseed oils, have been shown in some studies to lower cholesterol levels. (it goes on to say that they can be harmful)

Is there a "good" oil then? If I wanted to buy into this idea what would I cook with?
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Different weight losses occur between people on the same caloric deficit, because the intake of calories does not match their individual output. You can't expect everyone's output to be the same. This is why the input part of the equation is important. It doesn't invalidate CICO.

And if you are speaking of one woman who loses weight differently despite having the same caloric input if she messes around with her macros, I don't think any data exists that this happens. In fact I am pretty sure it doesn't. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Check out that study I linked to earlier in the thread. It does an experiment of just that sort and the authors seem unable to figure out the differences in weight loss. They have 2 groups of obese women, one which is insulin resistant and one which is insulin sensitive. They fed the groups two different diets -- one they call high carb (60% carbs, 20% fat, 20% protein) and one they call high fat (40% carbs, 40% fat, 20% protein). All diets were 400 cal deficit. The high carb group in insulin sensitive women lost twice as much body weight as their high fat counterparts. Whereas it was the exact opposite for the insulin resistant women -- the high fat group lost twice as much as the high carb group. And they freely admit that they can't figure out the difference in the results and chalk it up to must be differences in NEAT. Granted, they also admit that there are limitations in their study -- not in a metabolic ward, among others -- and that further investigation is needed for why they saw these differences. So, perhaps the study is flawed. But, it's pretty interesting. There are also studies out there showing differences in weight loss and LBM for certain protein macros.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I think people should follow CICO. If it's not working, find out why. It could be due to improper measuring or failing to count ALL the food consumed. It could be bad estimates of calorie burns. It could be a physiological problem. It could be any number of things. It's one thing to suggest some of the possible causes. It's something else altogether to tell people that CICO works and therefore they are not doing what they claim to be and to call them special snowflakes.

Totally agree.