Scale Continuously Creeping Up...Help!

Options
This might sound neurotic but I tend to step on the scale and weigh myself every morning; it is part of my daily routine! Friday I gained 0.2, Saturday was another 0.2 added and today yet another 0.2! That is just under one pound!
I obviously know (or rather hope) that this is just normal weight fluctuations, but to have it continuously go up and never maintain is odd for my particular body.
Does anyone have any guesses as to why this might be happening? I've been keeping up my workouts and still eating right.
Is there any tips you could possibly give me to help nudge the scale back down? I really appreciate any and all advice!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    actually it's just over 1/2b...far cry from a pound

as for what to do..stop stepping on the scale everyday...weight loss is not linear and there are always flucuations depending on what you ate, what you did, if you have water weight etc...
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Water retention? TOM? It can be many things. It has happened to me the past few weeks some and then today I am "down" 1.7 lbs....No I did not loose that much overnight...but I did drink more water yesterday...in reality I am down .3 from my last lowest weight.

Just keep watching and weighing what you eat and drink lots of water.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You are more than likely retaining water due to your exercises. There isn't any magic trick for it and you shouldn't worry about it because it will pass. Make sure you are eating at a calorie deficiency and you will lose the weight, absence from any medical issues.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    for those who can't handle .2 lb change, maybe it's not a good idea to step on the scale every day...

Sounds like in OP's head, "maintaining" means staying the exact weight, not a decimal more not a decimal less...if that's the case...nobody would be able to "maintain"...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I've seen days when I weighed 4 lbs more than the day before, followed 2 days later by dropping that 4 and another 1. It's normal, especially if you're female, to fluctuate.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You only have 5 lbs. to go. Congratulations! Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient. The smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • positive714
    Options
    Thanks for the help & suggestions everyone! :heart:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    for those who can't handle .2 lb change, maybe it's not a good idea to step on the scale every day...

Sounds like in OP's head, "maintaining" means staying the exact weight, not a decimal more not a decimal less...if that's the case...nobody would be able to "maintain"...

THIS
  • MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    Options
    Oh the dreadful scale is a fickle friend indeed! It has flown up and down as much as 5 pounds on me over night! Now, we both know, THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE to do with actual weight loss or gain. I assure you it is water and undigested food. I hate to be uncouth, but, when you are empty is when you will see the body weight that is actual rather than food and liquids.

Sometimes, I am positive it will be lighter and I am heavier. Sometimes I am positive I am going to be heavier and I am lighter. It is fine to weigh yourself everyday and log it, as long as it is not emotionally beating you up. If it does, the stress will cause far more problems than this is worth.

I do not have a magic schedule to offer you as far as weigh in, times and when. Unfortunately, you can hold POUNDS of fluids and food in your digestive track. Whatever you do, do not let this rule you. You have NOT failed with a .2 fluctuation- I think that sum is meaningless.

Keep your log and see where you are in one month. Being worried about a .2 movement can start the seeds of the anorexic! I think you can record all you want, but you need to select one weight per month as the weight point of the month- probably in the last week of the month (unless that conflicts with something). Then you can compare the 7 days of the month in the previous month and the 7 days of the month in the next one. You should see progress is this way and not get discouraged.

You can do this. The scale is a tool- not a judge and jury! Stop giving it so much power over you. Take that power back and love your self at all of your weights. No one succeeds at anything this personal by nit-picking some ups and downs. Be kind my friend, to you.