Sorry to ask x

Options
XLMACX
XLMACX Posts: 346 Member
My bmr says I'm allowed 1570 calories a day based on been 5ft8.5 and 11st 7lb in terms of exercise calories I will be earning ( work out 4 times a week cardio weight ect) should I eat these back or not or could I even save these for my vodka diet I colas on weekend??? Here so many mixed up messages on here regarding this issue I tend to be fine eating through week it's he weekend I tend to eat and drink more xx

Replies

• seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science/math of it all, but I can say that when I eat back most of my calories, I do not see a change in my weight...depends on your goal, I guess.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Do you mean BMR, or do you mean your MFP calorie goal? With 17 lb. to lose, set your goal to .5 lb. per week. Your goal has your deficit built in, but no exercise. You must eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. The burns are only estimates, so some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories.

It will take trial & error to find what works for you. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I always eat back a portion of my exercise calories. If you want to look at your MFP calorie goals on weekly terms rather than daily, that's fine as well. A lot of people just average the week. I wouldn't run large deficits on the other days so you can go wild on the weekend, but saving up a few calories here and there for a few drinks doesn't hurt. I would caution you to set limits on your alcohol intake (as in, I'm going to have 2 or 3 drinks when I go out, no more) because you are new to MFP and getting used to logging and how things work. Not because alcohol is bad, it just tends to lead to more drinks and usually food that you weren't planning on, and logging that has a tendency to make some people get discouraged or want to quit before they've gotten into their groove.
  • XLMACX
    Options
    Thanks guys I have worked my bmr out on a few diff calculators last one been mfp one so I'm going to go with 1550 calories a day the exercise calories I earn I'm going to use them for my alcohol on weekends which will be bottle of wine 580 calories or Vodka diet cokes 500-650 calories I have a HRM so my calories burned will be accruatexx
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I have worked my bmr out on a few diff calculators last one been mfp one so I'm going to go with 1550 calories a day the exercise calories I earn I'm going to use them for my alcohol on weekends which will be bottle of wine 580 calories or Vodka diet cokes 500-650 calories I have a HRM so my calories burned will be accruatexx

You don't want to only eat your BMR, you want to eat the number MFP gives you. The MFP number already contains the calorie deficit to lose x lbs per week (whatever you put in). And having a HRM does not make your calorie burns accurate because:

1. HRMs are only accurate for steady state cardio. If you are walking, running, ellipting, or anything like that for a period of time at the same speed and level of intensity, the formulas in the HRM work well enough. If you are doing any other kind of exercise (weight lifting) or any kind of interval when you exercise harder or faster for a short period of time, your HRM reading is pretty much worthless.

2. HRMs do not just count exercise calories. It measures your heart rate during that period of time, but all those calories are not exercise calories. You would burn some of those calories anyway just sitting on the sofa and existing. So the number is going to be inflated anyway.

Just wanted to let you know so we don't see you back here in two weeks wondering why the scale isn't moving.
  • XLMACX
    Options
    I thought you are meant to use BMR or TDEE to calculate calorie allowance that's what everyone says on here ???
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I thought you are meant to use BMR or TDEE to calculate calorie allowance that's what everyone says on here ???

TDEE is the amount of calories you need to eat to maintain your weight. Many people use 0.8*TDEE to calculate their calorie goal.

BMR is sort of the lower bound many people use. BMR is the amount of energy your body needs to function, before you even add in calories burnt from moving around or exercising.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Seriously, read the sexypants link already posted. You are making this far more complicated than it needs to be!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    No. When you're brand new it's a terrible idea to over-complicate things. Trust the system. With 30 lb. to lose, set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week. Learn to log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Log your exercise, and eat back all your exercise calories for a few weeks. If you're not losing, eat back half your exercise calories for several more weeks.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • XLMACX
    Options
    Thanks it's hard when hearing many difference things I tried finding sticky things people were telling me to read but can't find them! I will read this link and will go by what mfp gives me which is 1450 an eat back exercise calories I earn thanks
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thanks it's hard when hearing many difference things I tried finding sticky things people were telling me to read but can't find them! I will read this link and will go by what mfp gives me which is 1450 an eat back exercise calories I earn thanks
    Perfect!
    A nice simple plan using MFP exactly as it's supposed to work.