189 Pounds Lost in 33+ Months (350 to 161!)

Options
My name is Jon Leyton Summerlin. I have lost 189 pounds in 33+ months, including 54 pounds using myfitnesspal on my iPhone since October 30, 2013. The 189 pounds lost started in Afghanistan as a US Army Corps of Engineers civilian (Army civilian) while deployed to Zabul Province in southeastern Afghanistan. The 54 pounds lost recently are a result of an annual checkup at the Veterans Administration hospital on October 30, 2013, where I learned that I'd gained 15 pounds back in 12 months.

Calories... they are the only heavy influencer for weight gain or loss, for me, and myfitnesspal allows me constant focus, and therefore goal setting and meeting, on a daily basis. I added in 400 crunches a day and now recently 30 push-ups a day to start toning my newly changed frame. I eat healthier calories now; I stay under my caloric input goal daily and exceed my caloric output goal daily. I track all foods, liquids, and "extra" activities beyond my normal state of caloric output.

After 33+ months, and now five+ months with myfitnesspal, I have maintained 161 pounds for nearly 25 days, which I intended to do. I started at 350 pounds on May 8, 2011, and weigh in at 161 pounds on April 6, 2014. I have lost more than I now weigh. I walked around Afghanistan at 350 pounds with an extra 50+ pounds of body armor for personnel protection. My son weighs about 60 pounds. For perspective, when I weighed 350 pounds, the scale increased to roughly 400 when I had my son in my arms or 410+ when I added my armor. At 161, I walk with ease; actually, I run sprints with ease; I run stairs whenever they're available in my "normal" life - at the airport six times per month especially. I was not easily athletic most of my adult life. I want to live to an old age and be there for my son in every ay, including physically. Balancing calories with healthy activities and choices in lifestyle, with myfitnesspal, become as easy as breathing when faced with a strong desire to live.

Thank you, myfitnesspal, you've given me a fantastic, easy-to-use, and simple tool for life!

Very Truly Yours,

Jon Leyton Summerlin

Replies

• strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, thanks for sharing your success.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss and thank you for serving our country ...Well done :bigsmile:
  • Merlin813
    Merlin813 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    incredible! Great story, congrats on your success!
  • DUCKIEGYRL
    DUCKIEGYRL Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! Congratulations :smile:
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Great job! Congratulations on all your hard work :)
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    That is awesome..thanks for sharing your story!
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    what a awesome story!!!!!!
    way to goo!!!
    I am almost at your starting weight.
    And on the same road. nice to see others who have lost the weight
    awesome WTG!
  • blondelis50
    blondelis50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. " You've spurred me on." Good health and blessings to you and yours!:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!