Is it possible to lose 76lbs in 5 months?

Options
I know a woman who lost 70 lbs and over 80 inches in just five months by plain old clean eating and doing HIIT bootcamps, spin classes and Les Mills Body Pump classes 6 days a week. She was nearly 200lbs and she's 21 years old. I'm 240lbs and I really need to lose 76lbs by September. September is when I start university and losing 76lbs would put from the obese category to the healthy weight category. I have a gym membership and I use the AMT there, it burns a lot more calories then an elliptical plus I do weight training too. I eat super unhealthy though so I was thinking if I start eating clean, go to the gym everyday and take fitness classes do you think I would be able to reach my goal?

P.S I usually burn around 600cals at the gym, MFP says I burn WAY WAY WAY more than that but so I'm going with the number that I have. The reason I wasn't losing weight before was cause I would eat all those calories and more by snacking.

P.P.S I'm 18 if that helps and I'm 5'8.

Replies

• toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    That puts you at 4 pounds/week lost which is rather high. A healthy approach is 1-2 pounds/week. If you start now, you'll still be able to lose quite a bit by then and look great. But don't overdo it and be overly focused on a specific number as you could go to extremes and set yourself up for failure.
  • DebSM2
    DebSM2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Possible, yes. I am down 86 pounds since the beginning of November, just over 5 months. I did start at 315 so I had/ have a very large amount to lose. Only started exercising regularly about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Following the calorie allotment from MFP and eating back some exercise calories now.

Good luck!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    That's really high and implausible if your aim is to end in a healthy weight bracket. Usually you have to slow down a bit once you get to overweight.

Do go ahead and lose weight, I bet that even if you miss your goal you can drop from obese into overweight. You are almost my height and I only started 10 lbs lighter than you, and dropping from obese to overweight made a huge difference in my looks. People who had known me before started saying "wow, you are looking fit!"
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    5mo = 21.7 wks
    76 lb / 21.7 wks = 3.5lb/wk

Yes, it’s humanly possible, but *NOT* likely for the vast majority of people.

Your likelihood of failure with such an extreme goal is very high. I really don’t want to see you (or anyone) fail, so I suggest setting a more reasonable goal (-1-2 lb/wk) that would make you feel great while you’re losing *and* set you on a course for LONG-TERM success. It’s not about getting to September, it’s about getting lean and staying that way from here on out, right?

I recommend everybody start here. You will *like* your results if you follow the advice in this thread - I promise!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tcicc009
    tcicc009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible but not really healthy....lower pace is better. You don't want to shock you body too much..if you are trying to lose weight for better health, then doing it healthy way is best.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thats tough to do, you would really have to stick with eating healthy and working out right to do that. and NO off days from doing either.
  • GaryRZ2020
    GaryRZ2020 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started at 522 lbs on December 28 2013 and lost 63 lbs in 3 months-- but I was very (still am very) overweight but I'm happy I dropped 2 sizes in my clothing also...so it is possible but not so healthy for people with a lower starting weight then I was
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The more you weight, the less problems you cause losing a lot at once.
    HOWEVER, we're still talking what is likely around a 2000 calorie deficit.
    That means not eating much or exercising a hell of a lot.
    Either is likely be problematic and for many people leads to failure and ending up back where they started, vs taking it slower and being half way there.
  • childhoodshour00
    childhoodshour00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am similar weight to you and my goal weight is to be 160 by December. Don't focus on that "magic" number, even if you lose 2lbs a week, which is more achievable, you will weigh under 200 pounds, which will be a HUGE accomplishment. Trust me, I'm 32 now and have done this yo-yo crap since I was 18 , slow and steady wins the race. I lost 80 pounds in 6 months before, but it all came back AND THEN SOME. THEN I HAD KIDS, so everything went to hell. ;) Now i'm just plugging along and trying not to focus on the numbers so much--it's much less overwhelming. Good luck. :smile:
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Possible....maybe but healthy NO!!! If you plan to keep the weight off then NO!!! Slow and steady is the best and most effective way.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    What happens in September when you go off to university? Are you going to continue eating clean there, or are you going to be going out drinking and ordering takeout? Unless you are planning on keeping up the clean eating, it's going to be pointless to start. Same for exercise. Are you really going to be hitting the gym like that every week? The change in your TDEE alone could result in weight gain once you go to school.

Start eating now the way you see yourself eating in the future. That's not to say don't include nutrient dense, whole foods in your diet, but eat the way you're going to eat long term. Same thing with exercise - do what you can see yourself doing long term. Sustainability is key to success. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. You won't lose as much as you say you want to lose, but 76 lbs in 5 months is unrealistic anyway. Weight loss isn't linear and it does slow down.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible. Is it advisable well unless your 500 pounds to start with no. MAny others have given great advice listen to it there are no quick fixes
  • AbbieGodfrey
    Options
    Hello, it is POSSIBLE to lose 76pounds in 5months BUT it involves alot of exercise and weight training.
    Also cut out all crappy foods and fizzy drinks and just drink water and Herbal tea!!!
    Herbal tea is great for weight loss!
    If you need any more info on what exercises and weight training to do, please feel free to add me and il give you some ideas on what i do !
  • littlemsfattie
    Options
    What happens in September when you go off to university? Are you going to continue eating clean there, or are you going to be going out drinking and ordering takeout? Unless you are planning on keeping up the clean eating, it's going to be pointless to start. Same for exercise. Are you really going to be hitting the gym like that every week? The change in your TDEE alone could result in weight gain once you go to school.

Start eating now the way you see yourself eating in the future. That's not to say don't include nutrient dense, whole foods in your diet, but eat the way you're going to eat long term. Same thing with exercise - do what you can see yourself doing long term. Sustainability is key to success. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. You won't lose as much as you say you want to lose, but 76 lbs in 5 months is unrealistic anyway. Weight loss isn't linear and it does slow down.

I'm still going to be living at home, eating clean. I got a one year gym membership so I'm definitely still going to continue to go the gym, probably 3x a week instead of everyday. I'm looking for a lifestyle change not a quick diet and then binge once I reach my goal. Also I think everyone is forgetting that a 240lb body does lose a lot of weight, it's safer for me to lose more weight exercising then someone who is only say 20lbs overweight.
  • kepi527
    kepi527 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think you can do it , just dont burn yourself out at the gym , eat enough watch your carbs and the weight will fly off.. Your age alone should make it easier ,abt10 yrs ago I was 40ish went on a diet watched the carbs .. I ate carbs but only from an apple or carrots etc..I started in Jan and by April I lost 40 lbs , I didnt go to a gym but I did walk , nothing crazy just a good pace for abt 45 to an hr Good Luck ..Debbie
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Unless you're 300 pounds right now, I don't think it would be possible. I started out in the barely overweight category at 156 lbs at 5'6''. It took me a month and a half to lose 6 pounds and that's only 1 pound a week. I exercise up to 2 or more hours a day as well as eating at 1600 calories. I am a very athletic person too, so if you were in my shoes, it would be impossible. However, I think you'll be able to definitely lose 50 pounds in 5 months with the exercise and calorie deficit but 76 is pushing it a bit.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible to lose that much, but it's best not to lose more than 2 LBS a week. Focus on making new lifelong eating habits, and building fitness, and not on weight loss. If you do that, the weight will come off. And spin class is no joke! An hour of that, three times a week will put you in a good place, fitness wise.