chia seeds experience

Options
does anyone have any personal experiance with chia seeds...
did it do anything for your weightloss
ie. one thing i read is that it's suppose to make you feel full....did they....
what else can you say about them ...preferably from personal experiance

Replies

• arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them purely because they are so expensive. One of my go-to sources of medical information is The Cleveland Clinic.

Their website says: "Chia seeds, when mixed with water, become gluey, or "mucilaginous,” and may help curb appetite. They absorb up to 10x their weight in water, so they are sometimes employed by bakers to keep baked goods more moist. You can mix the seed or ground flour into foods such as muffins, or sprinkle chia on yogurt or salad. Chia seeds are quite safe, and certainly worth trying."

They are safe for most people. Cleveland Clinic's website goes on to say: "Though it would be somewhat unusual, some people may be allergic to chia seeds. Future studies are needed to better define the cardiovascular benefits of chia seeds. As a food source, however, chia seeds are quite safe.

* *ADVISORY* *

Chia seeds can interact with the medication warfarin/coumadin. Patients on blood pressure medication should take chia seeds cautiously. Patients on blood thinners should not take chia seeds.

Source link: http://goo.gl/lYftNv
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds in baking and smoothies. I don't think they make any real difference in appetite.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I add them to my nut mix for breakfast sometimes for the omega 3s, I haven't noticed anything different to when I don't have them but I only have a teaspoonful. I wouldn't get your hopes up.
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    If you soak them in water they do form a gel like substance and its great to add to smoothies ...

They're very healthy but I certainly wouldn't consider them an appetite suppressant or at least
    they don't make me feel any different ...
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    They get stuck in my teeth, so I avoid them unless I can brush/floss immediately.
    They don't affect my appetite.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I put them on salads when I have one. I also use them every morning with flax seed in my oatmeal. Between the flax and chia it definitely keeps me fuller longer. I buy the bob's red mill on amazon with the sunscribe and save. The chia seeds are expensive but worth it.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I like making chia pudding for breakfast for a change from my usual overnight oats! I mix 2 tbsp of seeds with 1/2 cup of almond milk (usually vanilla but sometimes chocolate for a change!). Then I add in chopped fruit/nuts or dried fruit. I love chocolate almond milk, bananas and PB2 or vanilla almond milk, dried cranberries and chopped pistachios!

A bowl of that will keep me full for a few hours, until lunch anyways!
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding is filling but in my experience it is like eating frogspawn.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding is filling but in my experience it is like eating frogspawn.

Ha! Yeah the texture certainly isn't for everyone! I also throw them into baking, and into refrigerator oats as well which makes them less frog-spawn-ish
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I add them to my diet for the Omegas and the fiber. I like them. Costco sells them so they are more affordable than at a health food store or GNC.

I add them to my smoothies and put them on toast with almond butter and banana and add a teaspoon to my oatmeal. I like the crunch it adds and yes, they do stick between my teeth but I do not mind it.

I have actually eaten a teaspoon of them and drank a glass of water before when I was hungry an hour before dinner. It worked for me but it was a temp fix to tide me over, I was not using it as an appetite suppressant to deny myself nutrition.
  • nobel99
    nobel99 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have tossed a TBSP of chia seeds into my smoothies for one week every a.m. I find myself gassy all day and my pee stinks!! Is this the chia seeds??? I also put protein powder in my smoothies.....anyone have this experience? :noway:
  • Pensworth
    Pensworth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Chia and milled flax in my oatmeal for more fiber. I find the chia seeds to be pretty entertaining because they get this gel like membrane around them from liquids. They do like to get stuck in teeth, though, which can be bothersome. I haven't found them to have a particular taste otherwise, they are inoffensive overall.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    As stated previously, I eat them (from a discount store) but don't find that they are All That.
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use them in smoothies, but I wouldn't say they perform miracles in making me feel full.

I usually soak them overnight (they go quite gloppy like frog spawn). If I don't soak them & just add them dry to my smoothie, what sometimes happens is I then don't get to drink the smoothies straight away & then I go back to it & find its too thick, because the chia has thickened.

Not felt any other health benefits - doubt I will but them again - they feel like a waste of calories in my smoothie.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I put a table spoon in my smoothie and a spoon of flax seeds. Not sure whether they make me feel fuller.
    Stef.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon in my cottage cheese in the morning, they do help a small bit with keeping me fuller for longer but mostly I like them because they're good fiber. I get mine at Costco as well, and yeah they get stuck in my teeth, but a toothpick and a rinse with mouthwash after takes care of it.
  • Courtney066
    Options
    Chia seeds have a really good source of omega-3 and can help absorb many nutrients, chia seeds don't really fill me up but it sure does help with digestion and bloating. I personally love chia seeds for that reason. I put chia seeds in my oatmeal every morning, also in my baked goods and smoothies, and I buy breads that have chai seeds in them. They don't really help weight loss, but hey are very beneficial for over all health.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I had an oral experience with chia seeds with a few friends of mine and afterwards I had to brush my teeth. That was the most noteworthy part of that experience for me.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Chia has decent macros and fiber. I haven't noticed a change in appetite with or without them.