Advocare Yes or No?

Options
I don't know much about advocare at all, but my mom jumped me yesterday asking if she could borrow $500 to start advocare. She knows I've been trying to lose weight and wants to join, but I like more of the exercise and healthy food approach rather than relying on products that aren't sure to work. Her friend has been using the spark drink for 3 years now, but she isn't by any means thin or in shape, but mom says that it will work for her because she is going to do a 24 day cleanse or something. I don't know. I just wanted to get your opinions before I give her my month's paycheck.

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I would let your mom buy it herself.

Here's an Amazon review. Lots more there, good and bad, from people who bought the product:
    http://www.amazon.com/24-Day-Challenge-Cleanse-Kit/product-reviews/B003FVTARK/ref=cm_rdphist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0
    31 of 40 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars This does not work, November 11, 2013
    By
    JW10 - See all my reviews
    This review is from: 24 Day Cleanse Kit (Health and Beauty)
    The cleanse portion of this was ineffective, and the vast array of pills you need to take throughout the course of the program do not produce results. In my opinion, this is a waste of money. I will save you a couple hundred dollars: Eat low fat, lean proteins and green vegetables. Eat carbs like rice, potatoes and pasta sparingly. Exercise regularly. Now take the money you were going to spend on this and buy some running shoes or a weight set.
  • cowboy032587
    cowboy032587 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use advocare products and love the stuff. Did the 24 day challenge about a month ago and lost 14 pounds and a total of 9 inches lost across my body. I know a lot of people in my group who have had better results that I did. I would highly recommend using it
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'd just tell mom no.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Your month's paycheck? Hell no.

No weight loss scheme is worth that.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    No
  • Mom2my3girls
    Mom2my3girls Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to sell AdvoCare. I did the 24 day challenge early in 2013 and lost 12lbs. But, I gained the weight back as soon as I stopped taking the products. My husband loves the SPARK (its an energy drink not a weight loss supplement) but it is very costly. I'd say no. Also, I'm not sure where she is buying the cleanse from but it shouldn't be costing $500!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Definitely No! Keep your paycheck and if your mom wants to waste her money that's her choice. MFP is free, $20 investment in a digital scale... sounds like a more cost effective plan
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No, get her on MFP for free.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Do not waste money on something that will not last long term. You can do this without the aide of pills, etc and it doesn't cost near as much!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Unless you plan on supporting her for the rest of her life then it would be a waste of money. Besides, I seriously doubt if it would work. If your mother is truly having problems with weight loss, wouldn't it be better for her to seek professional help such as with her doctor, nutritionist, and dietitian?
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Dont waste the money! Advocare promotes healthy eating and makes you take a bunch of supplements. All you need is a multi vit, maybe omega 3 and to eat a well rounded diet.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Nah, I wouldn't bother with the program, however, I must say that I LOVE the Spark energy drink. It's the only energy drink that's worked for me. It's given me (almost) instant energy, but not just physically, it's more of a cognitive, mental energy, which I loved on days I worked mornings (SO not a morning person). But it is quite costly - about $50.00 for a month supply, but I'm a big girl so I take two scoops, so it's only a 2 week supply for me lol

I do like the 24 day challenge "diet" they have in place though... a little restrictive, but nothing you can't do on your own, without their supplements (or you could just buy cheaper supplements elsewhere).

So yeah, short answer, no. But spark, yes lol
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Vote is for No Advocare.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    nope_zps8c1e72c6.gif
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Jvn1e7j.gif
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jvn1e7j.gif
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    1. No
    2. Why is she asking you for the money? If she wants to do it so badly, she can foot the bill herself!
    3. Agreeing with everything said above.
    4. No
    5. Nope
    6. Nice tall glass of nope
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mky7dgHost1rqfhi2o1_400.gif
  • brittany2188
    Options
    Nope! And spark is bad for you. I learned the hard way. If you have a hard time finding an ingredient list for something, just don't.
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Some endorser stopped her and was pitching the idea that a woman went from a size 11 to a size 1 in just 2 months. I couldn't believe it'd be $500 either.