Folks with 100lbs or more to lose

Options
I started my weight loss journey July 17th. I weighed 389lbs at the time. I was border line diabetic and on hypertension meds. Every time I went to the doctor I was getting my medicine increased. Being obese was killing me. We went on a family camping trip and when i saw how I looked in the photos I couldnt stand it anymore and had to make a change. I had two choices.. I could get bariatric surgery or I could do it the old fashioned way. I was very tempted by the surgery because our insurance would pay for it in full and I certainly qualified. But I wanted to really try to do it on my own first. I did research and found many folks that had done it without surgery. There are lots of awesome transformation videos on youtube. I wanted to find that kind of success! I currently do carb cycling, intermittent fasting, and strength training as my primary tools. I also do some cardio but mainly focus on the weights. Im down to 295 now and have 70 to go to reach my goal weight of 225. I would love to hear from more folks with similar situations. I also would love to hear from folks that have had the various surgeries done as well. My wife is getting the sleeve done this summer.

Replies

• jesswithsuccess
    jesswithsuccess Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Jess. I have WELL over 100lbs to lose, and am also looking to talk to people in similar situations. I, too, had the option of surgery and chose not to go that route. I'm simply cutting and counting calories, trying to increase my protein, and trying to eat "clean" as much as possible. So far its paying off with 5.3lbs lost my first week. Since your wife is considering the sleeve, I HIGHLY recommend Lessofsarah on youtube. You can find her here as well on myfitnesspal. She is an amazing woman and has been such and inspiration to me. Good to "meet" you!
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started at 364 the beginning of February. As of last Friday I'm at 325. I am cutting and counting calories completely cut out soda and sweets. I am walking every day. I plan to lose 160 more pounds. I keep a blog with progress pictures and my thoughts. I would love to add anyone as a friend.
  • DietingMommy2008
    DietingMommy2008 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Also looking for ppl with 100lbs or more to lose.

Feel free to add me EVERYBODY. :o)
  • celticempress
    Options
    Hi I'm Mary. I've been on this journey for awhile actually, I have over 120 pounds to lose total and I'm a little over half way there. This started out because I was in so much pain, I was having trouble sleeping and breathing sometimes. Last year I got to half way, lost 60 pounds and then I found out we were having another sweet baby. So I got side tracked a bit making sure he was okay and well fed. But, when all was said and done, I had only gained a total of 13 pounds during the pregnancy and I have lost most of that already.

This is a journey, it's a day by day adventure that involves a lot of will power and resolve, but when it comes down to it all is worth it. When I am finally at my goal, I will look back and be happy that I did this for myself and my family.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I started at 364 the beginning of February. As of last Friday I'm at 325. I am cutting and counting calories completely cut out soda and sweets. I am walking every day. I plan to lose 160 more pounds. I keep a blog with progress pictures and my thoughts. I would love to add anyone as a friend.

Incredible progress! Good for you :)
  • Docfloyd
    Docfloyd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    first off congratulations on going losing almost 100 pounds already. I always read success stories like those of people who lost over 100-200 pounds. One day i stepped on a scale at 360 myself. currently i'm 328, and just joined MFP as another tool to help me along. I'm hoping i can be one of those stories on day myself.

so if anybody wants to add each other as friends, keep each other focused and honest i'd be open to it.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I set a goal of just shy of 100 lbs (97) to get down a weight I haven't been to since I was a sophomore in high school (<200 lbs). I actually signed up for a study through the Mayo Clinic where I had about two in three chances to get a new bariatric surgery which is not yet approved here in the US. Admittedly, I was kind of hoping for the surgery, but I still believe it to have been a blessing to be put in the 'control' group which only receives the 'lifestyle therapy.' Basically eat better, track intake, and try to move more. Of course there are a few other nuances such as taking a multivitamin, but the rest is what you're referring to as the old-fashioned way. I'm only down 18-19 lbs or so in the first few months but winter here in MN has been terrible. Couple that with working full time and taking 9 on-line credits in an attempt to finish a degree and you can probably see why I've started out so slow. Nonetheless, best of luck to all of you :-)
  • 30lbsorbust
    30lbsorbust Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for deciding to try the natural way of weight loss. Neither way is easy, and I don't have any prejudice for those who decide surgery; I just believe it is much healthier the natural way and learning a lifestyle of eating and exercising.

I do not have over 100 lbs. to lose but was checking it out to email the link to a friend who does; however, I am 60, have hypoglycemia (have to eat every 2-3 hrs) and hypothyroid, so weight loss for me is like pulling teeth even when I am doing everything right. Or, so I thought. I wasn't doing everything right. Amidst my total discouragement with my weight and weight loss, in August, I donated all my smaller clothes! In Sept., I decided it deserved one last chance where I would give 100% to portion sizes, diet, healthy choices, being honest with myself, logging, exercising vigorously & drinking my water. If I didn't lose within several months of being totally honest and doing all these things, I would make myself be satisfied and happy with my 2-3 size larger person. However, even though it has been slow, I have lost 17-20 lbs (depending on the day) and two sizes! I had given up hope! I never thought it would be possible to be this size again.

I say all this to say, be encouraged, look at this as THE DIET THAT WORKS. Look at this diet as different from all others. Look at this one week at a time. One pound a week would make you 52 lbs. thinner this time next year!!! Two pounds a week would make you 104 lbs. less this time next year. It is not easy ~ BUT it is Doable! You can do this! I know you can. Just one step/ one week (or day) at a time! Here's to you and the best you! Kay
  • 30lbsorbust
    Options
    You go, girl!!! You are already beautiful . . . but the best is yet to come. Making this a lifestyle will mean we all will never have to start all over on this journey again! My best to you! (I was actually on this group page to copy/paste the link for a friend, who is over 100 lbs.) Kay
  • 30lbsorbust
    Options
    To be honest, I am not over 100 lbs. overweight. I copied/pasted the link for a friend who is. However, it is very difficult for me to lose weight especially now that I am 60, hypoglycemic and hypothyroid. But I am a motivator and sometimes need a motivator. MFP has been so helpful to me. K
  • Perrybarger
    Options
    I know one of the BIGGEST things that has helped me is adjusting my calories to the right amount. I started out not even counting calories. I just went to the store and bought what was considered "healthy" foods and attempted to cut out the junk. For exercise I was just walking. Then I added a gym membership and started a little weight training but still most of my time was spent on a treadmill. SO what happen was I hit a WALL very very HARD at around 360lbs. I was counting calories at this point and I was eating 1300 calories. Ok simple math logic says that if Im 360 and Im eating 1300 calories Im in a caloric deficit so I SHOULD lose weight right? WRONG!! I was on that plateau for 3 weeks! I was on the treadmill doing 3 miles a day and wasnt losing nothing. I was frustrated but determined to not give up. So I started exploring other options. If you have ever watched the biggest loser or any of those shows they are always telling those folks that they NEED to eat the proper amount of calories. I got with a friend who had lose 175lbs by using carb cycling and intermittent fasting. Carb cycling is the method that Chris Powell uses in his book and he explains it in depth on his website. So what I do is the "turbo" carb cycling method. I workout on MWF and I eat higher carbs like sweet potatoes on those days and on the other 4 days I eat low carb. This combined with IF (intermittent fasting) got me off that plateau and has kept me off. I still hit peaks and valleys but nothing that extreme anymore.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I've never heard of carb cycling, but from what you've explained it does make sense. And it obviously worked if it helped you break through that plateau! Also, I should have mentioned this earlier, but props to you for already losing so much weight. It is is inspiring for all of us on the same journey to see someone who has walked the walk and as you've said, done it the old-fashioned way!
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    *whistles* I have over 100 pounds to lose. My first goal is 100 pound loss however, and then maybe 20-40 more. I'm so not going to push it if all I ever lose is 100 pounds. I will be ecstatic. Right now I have lost almost 15 pounds (whoo hooo) and that makes me 305. I will be doing a dance when I get below 300 and another when I reach 250. I have seen those both more times than I can count and one more is coming up.

I live by the motto: "I have not failed because I have not quit trying."
  • Perrybarger
    Options
    Just remember that a caloric deficit doesnt have to be so extreme that your body goes into self preservation. At 295lbs Im doing 1700-1900 calories on low carb days and 2500 calories on training days. I have an occasional cheat meal. But the cheat meals I try to keep to once a month. Also I found tracking your macros carbs,fats, and proteins more useful then the calories. You need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight but knowing your other numbers and having targets for those that fit your goals helps a lot too. And of course I am a high protein guy. That's been another big part of my success.
  • Perrybarger
    Options
    http://chrispowell.com/carb-cycling-101/ here is a link to a good explanation of carb cycling.
  • walkingmywaytohealth
    Options
    I WAS the full blown diabetic on 80 units of insulin and taking 2 pills for my hypertension. For whatever unknown reason I never cared about me and my health and wound up in the ER with sugars at 500....then I became a grandmother, my heart melted and the reason for me became clear....fast forward to today. I quit my highly toxic full time job, have weaned myself down to ONE pill for my diabetes and ONE pill for my hypertension and I research everyday on the correct food to eat to keep me healthy. How did I do that? I started out by walking for 20 minutes at a speed of 1.5
    I am now a Zumba addict and I also started running 1/2 marathons. Am I good, um well no, and I even placed dead last on my first 5 mile run last September, but I still trumped the one who sat on the chair watching me try to run. I am a multiple weight watcher and Jenny Craig drop out, however MFP is amazing with the daily cheerleaders and keeping honest with one another. Speaking of which I've been in a months long rut...kinda like jogging in place and going no where, but I refuse to give up. Surgery has never been an option for me. It's a delicate balance of mind over matter, what you put on your plate and exercise that will make you succeed and succeed you have!
  • HopeNShelton
    HopeNShelton Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Hope. I have recently lost 111 lbs since November 2013. I recently rejoined on here and would love some buddies to help me for support. I have found that unbiased support helps more than any other. I workout all the time and yet still need or want to lose another 80/90 lbs.
  • HopeNShelton
    HopeNShelton Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    FYI: I forgot to mention I had gastric bypass surgery. With all my numerous health issues, it was surgery or the morgue. I have 4 children aged 21, 19, 10, and 7 and I am not ready to leave my babies. And if anyone thinks surgery is the easy way out let me tell you just how wrong you are. I for one am grateful that I had the option and it saved my life and now my children have a much healthier mommy. I would ask that unless you understand the situation that no one judges my decisions. After having a stroke while 7 months pregnant with my last child, my weight spiraled out of control to the point to where it was surgery or die. And it took two years to get the surgery once I was approved. So it isnt something the surgeon, insurance companies, doctors, or yourself take lightly. It involves alot more than a surgical procedure. It is a LIFETIME COMMITMENT.
  • Loz220662
    Loz220662 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Loz, 100lbs loss is my aim. Glad you decided to go the hard way and work it off, for no other reason as your own self pride, you'll also realize how hard it was and wont be tempted to put it back on.