1200 feels like deprivation and unnecessary...

Options
HI All.
Just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience.
When I started on MyFitnessPal a few weeks ago, I weighed 69 kilos (I'm 158 cm). I tried the 1200 calories (about 5000 kj) recommended to me but I just couldn't stick to it. So, on average, I've consumed about 1500 - 1600 calories a day. I haven't done a lot of exercise in this time, just a few hours of Yoga over the 3 week period.
I've lost 2 kilos so far...
I used to maintain a lower weight than I do now eating about 16-1700 calories a day, with daily walking (for about 45 minutes).
I wonder if reducing to 1200 slows the metabolism and that's why people who have eaten 1200 for a while can't eat more without gaining weight?
Just wondering...
Cheers <3

Replies

• kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1,200 calories a day for the past 3.5 months or so. I didn't find it to be a very difficult transition. I think it just depend son the person and how active you are, resting metabolism, etc. I am a petite, sedentary person so maybe that is why it is easy for me.
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It really all depends.

I myself love to stuff myself with a yummy 1800 plate just for dinner before!! So it is a sacrifice. It depends how many pounds you'd like to lose also. :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you only have 4 lbs. to go. Set your goal to the slowest rate (in pounds it's .5 lb. per week), which is way more than 1,200 lbs.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Cathlyn777
    Options
    I'm with you. For me 1200 is too few calories. I'm irritable and starving at just 1200 cal a day. I actually lose more weight at 1600 cal a day. My husband tells me that my body thinks it's in starvation mode at so few calories and holds on to fat. With walking and watching what I put in my mouth and counting calories has helped immensely!! I'm a small girl at 127lbs. 5'8 but I'm very comfortable being 117-123lbs. Upping my calorie intake, I'm now 125, YAY!!!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Metabolism slowing is bunk. What isn't bunk is that folks with no energy are prone to not moving around as much because they have no energy to move around and don't burn calories moving around as much.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Unless you are quite small and inactive, 1200 is hard to handle. I got that target when I started, too, and did it for a few weeks. But I've done MUCH better set at a lower loss rate with a higher calorie target. If you set a less aggressive goal and increase activity as much as you can, you'll probably find it easier to keep going. Read the "sexypants" link for lots of good advice.
  • kmclauchlanquinn
    kmclauchlanquinn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you only have 4 lbs. to go. Set your goal to the slowest rate (in pounds it's .5 lb. per week), which is way more than 1,200 lbs.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. Yes, my goal is another 4 pounds but then I may choose to reduce further than that once i reach that goal. My BMI suggests I should but I look and feel healthy at a BMI of 26 so I have my own issues with BMI.
    How do I set my goal to the slowest rate?
    Cheers and thanks <3
  • kmclauchlanquinn
    Options
    Cheers :)
  • maryjmac1
    maryjmac1 Posts: 10
    Options
    1200 does feel low. I am a very active person and I initially stated that I am active and planned to exercise about 6 times a week. That allotted me 1450 calories a day. Well that was all fine and well for the first few days but I work in two different locations and I walk in between. I have the map my fitness app linked with MFP and I was burning calories faster than I could eat them on days I worked. I realized the reason why I wasn't loosing weight was because I wasn't eating enough even though I thought I was. I have since upped myself to Very Active and things are slowly working again for me.
  • kmclauchlanquinn
    Options
    This is off topic, but your profile pic looks just like my now deceased beautiful corgi baby Bodie. Best dogs in the WORLD (and greedy little buggers!!!!)
  • kmclauchlanquinn
    Options
    It's so interesting isn't it? : that eating more can make you weight less????!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    How do I set my goal to the slowest rate?
    Change your weight loss goal at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

The less weight you have to lose, the more slowly you lose. That's just the way the human body works. Unless you need to lose more than 25 lbs., set your goal to the slowest rate. The smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Way too low for me. I was doing it for the first two weeks or so, and it was working, but it was also pretty terrible. I didn't get headaches or anything, but I did feel pretty restricted. But then, I'm a 5'7 ex-dancer with a medium-sized frame, classes in the mornings, a job that has me running up and down flights of stairs ten or eleven times a night and I'm trying to get back into running condition on top of it. 1200 works great for some people, but I am not one of them.
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 calories a day for several months now and despite a sedentary lifestyle I continue to lose weight, BUT, I think it's most important to consider how you feel and if you're working or more active then 1200 seems too low. Also I'm only 5'2" and that 's relevant as well. If you feel like you need to eat more, then I say you probably do. Feeling weak and hungry is a recipe for diet disaster.
  • kdillson70
    Options
    Check out this post, it explains how to eat more and weigh less. It's hard to wrap your head around, but it actually works! Good Luck! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide I have a hard time reaching my goal at times, I'm never hungry!
  • ricki011
    ricki011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i too thought it was too low, but if i do 1500 calories i end up just "maintaining". I increased my exercise and started preparing my own foods for breakfast and dinner and it really has worked for me. A little bit at a time, but it makes me happy my body works.
    There was a time when i thought my body just couldn't lose weight, but this works. The more i keep track of what i use to prepare my meals, the more i have left over at the end of the day. Exercise is key for me. I joined the 3500 calorie work out challenge last year and have been on it ever since. VERY MOTIVATING, and keeps me working out every day. Try it!
    good luck mfp's.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I tried for a couple of days when I first got here to follow the 1200 cal plan - no WAY could I do it. I was sick, miserable and ALWAYS ended up overeating. Then I read the "sexypants" thread and got educated. I did the suggested calculations and ended up with a number much, much larger than 1200.

I now eat at 1700 a day - without exercise. With exercise (which I do quite a bit of, I'm set as "moderate activity"), I can eat up to 2200 a day - and I'm still losing weight. I recorded a 1-pound loss today, as a matter of fact.

My first suggestion to anyone here would be to read that "sexypants" thread. It's the best thing I ever did.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • kmclauchlanquinn
    Options
    Check out this post, it explains how to eat more and weigh less. It's hard to wrap your head around, but it actually works! Good Luck! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide I have a hard time reaching my goal at times, I'm never hungry!

Thank you. This is the kind of info I'm interested in. Yes, it makes sense to me that when the body gets less than it needs for basic functioning the metabolism will slow. It's logical.
  • kmclauchlanquinn
    Options
    I tried for a couple of days when I first got here to follow the 1200 cal plan - no WAY could I do it. I was sick, miserable and ALWAYS ended up overeating. Then I read the "sexypants" thread and got educated. I did the suggested calculations and ended up with a number much, much larger than 1200.

I now eat at 1700 a day - without exercise. With exercise (which I do quite a bit of, I'm set as "moderate activity"), I can eat up to 2200 a day - and I'm still losing weight. I recorded a 1-pound loss today, as a matter of fact.

My first suggestion to anyone here would be to read that "sexypants" thread. It's the best thing I ever did.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thanks <3
  • Carriem155
    Options
    When I exercise for 30 min. my calorie requirements are 1800/day to lose 1.5lbs. a week. It seems to work for me but im obese with a BMI of 37.