Beginners strength training workout

Options
Could you please suggest a strength training workout for me that I can do at home? Either written instructions, preferably with pictures, or an exercise video? (Not instructional videos.)
Thanks!

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Do you have any equipment? If not, NerdFitness.com is an awesome body weight strength training program. It's free and uses very little equipment. He even suggests how to make your own.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    that depends on what kind of equipment you have.

Do you have a barbell? plates? bench? or just handweights/kettle balls.

If you have the plates, bench etc then Stronglifts, starting strength or New rules on lifting for women.

If it's just hand weights etc try fitnessblender.com or Jillian Michales 30 day shred, ripped in 30, body revolution, 30 day extreme shed and shred..etc.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have 1 pound and 2 pound weights. Can I do things without weights, say wall push ups, crunches, that sort of thing? I really am a beginner, I don't think I am good enough to do Jillian Michaels.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options
    I have 1 pound and 2 pound weights. Can I do things without weights, say wall push ups, crunches, that sort of thing? I really am a beginner, I don't think I am good enough to do Jillian Michaels.

That's what NerdFitness will do. I think in the Beginner Program, you use hand weight for one section. Other than that there are lunges, squats, etc.

ETA: This is a program of circuits. You decide on the number of reps in a circuit. You just continue to build on the number you do each work out.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I am a rank beginner so I use the "5 Day Bodybuilding" app. It gives the exercises, sets and reps and instructions (in writing w/pics, no videos.) It's broken down by day, four or five exercises/day x5 days/week. Free app, too, at least for Android.

Some of the stuff is geared towards gym machines but I bet you could modify them somehow. Maybe something like ankle weights for the hamstrings and dumbbell crossovers for the machine crossovers.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I just found some stuff on You Tube by Fitness Blender. These look like they might be beginner level?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go8rGQro3dY
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    I found more weights that I forgot I have -- 3 pound and 5 pound and 20 pound.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Those weights aren't heavy enough to do a traditional weightlifting strength program, like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or New Rules of Lifting.

Your best bet is to look up a bodyweight program. I've looked at "You Are Your Own Gym", which is good. I've heard "Body By You" and "Convict Conditioning" are also good.

The key to a strength program is to constantly make the exercise harder, so pay careful attention to the progressions in a bodyweight program. Keep the book handy, and refer to it frequently. Don't get complacent. Some of the progressions need a lot of practice to do right, so be prepared to feel like a klutz from time to time - that's OK, and getting past the klutzy movements is all part of the process.
  • gcwhelan
    gcwhelan Posts: 2
    Options
    Click on the beginner routine:
    http://fitloop.co/

It's very gymnastics focused, and I had to cut a lot out due to time and ability. But it's a great place to start if you know nothing.

And I love that they have a video explaining each exercise.
  • JesiDM
    JesiDM Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bumping to save the link!

Using the beginner workout on Nerdfitness, how long does it generally take to see/feel results? I'm not expecting a beach body or anything, but what's the average amount of time until I could go from say, a single circuit to two, or from two to three?
  • j34lr
    j34lr Posts: 32
    Options
    bumping to save the link as well :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Check out You Tube---has jillian Michaels and Fitness Blender. Both awesome workouts with numerous options. I do JM 30Day Shred and Ripped in 30. Fitness Blender Cardio/Abd 37 min and Standing Abd 10 min workouts.
  • guardianwill
    guardianwill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know for 6 weeks after my surgery I was limited - very limited in any lifting. So I simply used a exercise ball and a stretch band to do exercises. After 6 weeks I was still limited but not as severely. So I would do push-ups from the kitchen counter each time I went in to eat or get water. It worked well, very well for that time. You can find many many exercise routines on you-tube using the exercise ball or exercise bands.
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options
    bumping to save the link!

Using the beginner workout on Nerdfitness, how long does it generally take to see/feel results? I'm not expecting a beach body or anything, but what's the average amount of time until I could go from say, a single circuit to two, or from two to three?

When I started I had only lost about 30 of my 100 pounds. I had not seriously worked out in years. The first time I made it through the 3 complete circuits I just about cried! It took me 2 weeks to make it through all three circuits. You may do it faster.

I've now transitioned to heavy lifting, but that is what got me strong enough to even lift a barbell.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Fitness Blender looks easy enough form me! And I checked out Fitloop, thanks for the link. I can definitely do the beginner workout. I also like the little videos of each exercise.

Thanks eveyone!
  • sfhudgens
    sfhudgens Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ohh good tips :)
    i had the same questions!!!!!
  • 1crvygrl
    1crvygrl Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    bump