Loose skin

Options
I have lost 40 lbs since I started on mfp and I am almost down to my target weight. I have now got loose skin around where my love handles used to be. Will this go eventually? It is also prevalent at the top of my thighs too.

Replies

• atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    God I hope so.. i have a bit on my belly afte losing 50. its not too bad, but I'm hoping over time it will tighten up!
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, everywhere! I had health issues all year, and have only been aloud to walk for my exercise. If I could get rid of the loose skin, I would probably be down one or two more pants sizes. I am aloud to start a regular exercise program the first of the year. I hope it helps!
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    I also have loose skin, I have lost 115lbs. Mine is mostly in my stomach area and my thighs some on my arms but not much. As far as I know it all depends on your age and your own skin you can excercise to tighten the muscle under the skin to make it look a little better but excercise will not get rid of it. I know many people who have lost a lot of weight and it does get better normally it takes a year for. Your body to catch up with your weight lose. Just remember to use a good lotion also, our skin is an organ and needs to be cared for like one.
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx

Hey guys, I thought that maybe this info would help answer a few of your questions about loose skin.
    Hope it helps. Cheers
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thank you Fesse!

I have lost the weight slowly but still have loose skin.

D
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx

Hey guys, I thought that maybe this info would help answer a few of your questions about loose skin.
    Hope it helps. Cheers

One of my biggest worries after being obese most of my life.....thanks for the great article!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jmbarragan
    jmbarragan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Wow, after 1 min of listening to her I was ready to shoot myself.

Most loose skin is actually still fat. The leaner you get, the more that "loose skin" will disappear. Yes, there will be some loose skin, and over time, and depending on your genetics, age, and many other factors, it will go back into place a little. The more you have, the more will be left over though. Like most expert will tell you, if you want to get rid of it with surgery, wait at least a year after you reach your goal weight to see how much of the skin will reset itself.
  • ypena78
    ypena78 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ditto, i have the same problem as I am losing the weight. I have it mainly on my arms. they wave HELLO back at people. I can't wear anything without sleeves :(.. but I am hoping for it to go away. the link on how to get rid of it was a pretty good article..
  • xaviernelson
    xaviernelson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx - great article, thank you for sharing that. The flappy skin was something I was worried about, but when I originally dropped over 50 pounds it did (slowly) get in place on its own. Good to know about the 1 year rule before thinking about seeing a doc.
  • beka2699
    beka2699 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blueymo
    blueymo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!