My struggles....need help

Options
I am a 33 year old woman that is 5'3" I lost 10 pounds in one month start from 179. For the last 3 weeks I have weighed 169 it is not changing. I feel and see a difference but it is not showing on the scale. I feel my metabolism has kicked into high gear. I work out at least 6 days a week for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours dong mostly cardio and focusing on abs. On average I burn nearly 9000 a week and consume 4000 a week. Am I not eating enough? working out too much? Or do I simply need to be patient?

Replies

• JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Consume 4000 a week??? That's how many calories you eat in a week??

I'm not an expert, but you do need to eat more. Much more.....like at least double that!
  • kimberly_l_adams
    kimberly_l_adams Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I had it backwards I consume about 9000 calories and burn around 4000 a week. Thanks for catching that
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Lol okay - then I'm bowing out :) I know there are more experienced people out here to help ya! But if it helps, weight loss isn't linear and sometimes it's just patience (so I've heard/read)

Good luck and good job with your first 10 pounds!
  • kimberly_l_adams
    Options
    Thanks and congrats to you and your 16 loss. Keep it going!:happy:
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Are y doing any weight training?
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    weight training and IIFYM, trust!!
  • kimberly_l_adams
    Options
    I'm not big on weights but I do try and do some reps at least twice a week one day of lower body and another for upper body. I'm just afraid of bulking up.
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    <<<<<<<<......you won't bulk up....here's a pic of me taken a couple of weeks ago.....I've been doing weight training since last June....in my profile there is a pic of my bicep.....I love wearing tank tops....my arms look great....still working on the legs as that is where I carry all my weight....they are still a little jiggly for my liking....lol.....I am 5'3" and I will be 44 in May....I'm in the best shape of my life.....just wanting to lose another 10-12lb.....lean up a little.....it's hard when there is not much left to lose.....good luck with your weight loss and start lifting....invest in this book...."The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler....it will change your view!!:)

...just adding.....you won't bulk up unless you dedicate hours each day and follow a strict diet and decide to do the body building thing and that takes time and a careful lifting plan etc etc.....just regular resistance training will not make up you end up looking like a man because women have so much less testosterone than men do....:)
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on weights but I do try and do some reps at least twice a week one day of lower body and another for upper body. I'm just afraid of bulking up.

You won't bulk up. If you are eating at a deficit you won't gain any muscle. If you ate at a surplus the muscle gain would be slow, and you would have plenty of time to stop eating at a surplus before getting 'bulky'.

Here are two great topics with lots of pictures of woman who lift and aren't bulky
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/535512-real-mfp-women-weight-training-befores-and-afters
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I am a 33 year old woman that is 5'3" I lost 10 pounds in one month start from 179. For the last 3 weeks I have weighed 169 it is not changing. I feel and see a difference but it is not showing on the scale. I feel my metabolism has kicked into high gear. I work out at least 6 days a week for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours dong mostly cardio and focusing on abs. On average I burn nearly 9000 a week and consume 4000 a week. Am I not eating enough? working out too much? Or do I simply need to be patient?
    [/quote I think you should be very careful in how much you think you burn in a given week...almost 700 cals per cardio session seems a bit off...I am 5 ft and even at my largest (164) the elliptical never had me burning even close to that.
  • kimberly_l_adams
    Options
    Well, I will burn 300-400 on the treadmill ranging in speed and incline doing 30 mins, then i do 30 mins of the arc trainer which i wil burn around 300. Plus I will add in an ab routine in between.