Is it possible to lose 76lbs in 5 months?

Options
2»

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hello, it is POSSIBLE to lose 76pounds in 5months BUT it involves alot of exercise and weight training.
    Also cut out all crappy foods and fizzy drinks and just drink water and Herbal tea!!!
    Herbal tea is great for weight loss!
    If you need any more info on what exercises and weight training to do, please feel free to add me and il give you some ideas on what i do !
    are you a herbal tea salesman? How did herbal tea contribute to your 2 pounds weight loss then?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, what difference does it make if it's possible (for you) or not? Will it affect what you do? My thought is that you might as well get into good, sustainable, healthy eating and exercise habits and focus more on the steps you know you can control--eating well, getting into shape--and not what the scale might do. At your age and weight it's quite possible you will lose more than 2 lbs per week for a while, but even if you lose, say, 45 lbs in that time and the rest over a few more months, you are still going to feel great in 5 months. I'd hate for you to get frustrated and lose motivation just because you don't feel certain goals on the scale.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    5mo = 21.7 wks
    76 lb / 21.7 wks = 3.5lb/wk

Yes, it’s humanly possible, but *NOT* likely for the vast majority of people.

Your likelihood of failure with such an extreme goal is very high. I really don’t want to see you (or anyone) fail, so I suggest setting a more reasonable goal (-1-2 lb/wk) that would make you feel great while you’re losing *and* set you on a course for LONG-TERM success. It’s not about getting to September, it’s about getting lean and staying that way from here on out, right?

I recommend everybody start here. You will *like* your results if you follow the advice in this thread - I promise!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I agree with this. Plus, having such an aggressive goal is going to make you feel miserable from the calorie deficit necessary to sustain that kind of loss. And also, because weight loss isn't linear, there's definitely no guarantee you'll actually hit your goal even if you are that aggressive. Having a set deadline with such a large amount to lose is setting yourself up for failure.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall the OP starting a topic about a month ago where she was doing (or wanting to start) essentially a crash diet - working out way too much and eating way too little. She didn't want to take anyone's advice then either.
    You don't NEED to lose 76 lbs before going to college. What's wrong with losing at a realistic pace and continuing to work towards your goal while going to school? It's not as if there's some kind of deadline where you'll be physically unable to lose any weight once September rolls around.
  • littlemsfattie
    Options
    I seem to recall the OP starting a topic about a month ago where she was doing (or wanting to start) essentially a crash diet - working out way too much and eating way too little. She didn't want to take anyone's advice then either.
    You don't NEED to lose 76 lbs before going to college. What's wrong with losing at a realistic pace and continuing to work towards your goal while going to school? It's not as if there's some kind of deadline where you'll be physically unable to lose any weight once September rolls around.
    I don't see what that OP has to do with anything, I never said I was starting a crash diet. I just asked if it was possible. And I think it could be. That's about 3.5lbs a week. I'm on a weight loss/blood sugar medication that my doctor said will help me lose weight. I want to start university with a fresh start. After I reach 76lbs lost I'll definitely slow down until I reach my goal.