Snacks to fuel workout

Options
I have a quick question. My daughter goes directly from school to a 3 1/2 hour swim workout. She has 15 minutes to get from school to the pool.
I am looking for some snack suggestions that she can eat quickly to fuel her workout without being too heavy on her stomach.
I do not want her NOT to eat if I can help it, because if she does not eat she will be going approximately 7 hours without food.

Thoughts?

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I core/slice an apple and take it in a sandwich bag to eat before during or after my workouts, either following work or just on its own.
  • FLSwimmom01
    Options
    Thanks
  • tralala99
    tralala99 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Maybe Quest bars? Or trail mix? All the serious swimmers I've ever known (and weirdly, I've known quite a few) had to eat a lot of calories. She probably really needs something to fuel her.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    A carb/protein such as an apple w/cheese, banana w/peanut butter, trail mix - nuts/raisins/a little chocolate.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Any fruit would be good, but with only 15 minutes to eat, maybe something more dense. Something with rice or potatoes would be good, too.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    2 nature valley protein bars, I like the dark chocolate nut ones
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Yep protein bars are quick and easy. Also what mom2kpr said...
  • dvkashnkr
    Options
    Boil ears of sweet corn in salted water,drain rub with paprika and salt(if needed) and dig in.
    124 calories/ear
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Peanut butter sandwich?
  • matuskap
    matuskap Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I hate fruit before working out. It gives more energy than is needed at once and stops too quickly. I much rather use protein bars. Preferably homemade ones like this:

4-6 bars (depending on how big you make them):
    120g of any protein powder
    160g of oats
    80g of peanut butter
    water as needed depending on protein powder thickness
    optional: ~50g of raisins or sliced peanuts... really anything you like

- mix all together, add water to keep slightly moist. The batter has to be able to hold form. (the more water u add over what is necessary the longer it will take to get solid).
    Form into bars and put into freezer. Should be done in about 2 hours.
    Much more continuous release of energy than ANY fruit.
  • FLSwimmom01
    Options
    Good thoughts! she liked the idea of fruit and peanut butter. She also wants to try those homemade protein bars matuskap recommended :)
  • PamazonDreams
    PamazonDreams Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    CLIF bar (they taste like cookies, seriously).

LARABAR (also taste amazing, and you will be awed by the ingredient list).

Greek yogurt with berries and hemp hearts (my usual, because I throw frozen berries on top of the yogurt and it keeps it cool enough over the course of the day that I don't need to bother with an ice pack and is thawed when it's time to eat).

Fruit and nuts.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of hard boiled eggs. I eat one or two about an hour before a workout and it never feels like too heavy of a snack.