Getting bored of my food. Help!?

Options
mg_alva
mg_alva Posts: 37
Hi everyone. I was looking at a topic earlier and saw so many delicious meals that people prepare for themselves. Where does everyone get their ideas from? I have no creativity when it comes to food. I know I can look recipes up online but every single recipe I look at and like makes atleast 4 servings. I'm the only one "dieting" in my house and I don't want to make a whole recipe and eat the same thing for 4 days straight. I can't seem to find single serving recipes. My foods have consisted of wheat toast or cereal for breakfast, fruit for snacks (which by the way I'm miserable cause I'm starving after my snacks. Can't seem to not feel hungry after snacking, no matter what it is), lunch is usually steamed broccoli/spinach/zucchini with either a small red potato and baked/grilled 3 oz chicken or fish. How boring after a month and a half :cry: . Anywho, I'm just looking for help. I don't want to give up. Another thing, how do you calculate the calorie count for your homemade foods? That's another thing that has me stumped :frown: . Thank you everyone

Replies

• tinks_13
    tinks_13 Posts: 40
    Options
    You could just quarter the recipes you find (or calculate how much you would need for yourself). I cook in large portions and that usually lasts me a week. I do whatever I feel like doing. I throw some veggies into a wok add salt, pepper, lemon juice sometimes even tomato pureé, I find that adds a lot of flavour. Try looking at the seasoning section in your local grocery store that would give you a lot of things to play around with. Try some seasonings out and see how they go. I usually calculate my calories by adding each individual thing up.

For snacks I'll have things like breadsticks and homous or cottage cheese, fruits, maybe a bag of weight watchers crisps!

Good luck with finding something that works for you!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    make your some some guacamole and spread it on toast for breakfast!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If I'm just cooking for myself and following a recipe for 4 servings, I divide the quantities by 4 (or by 2, and have enough for another meal).

I also eat the foods I enjoy, and there are lots of foods that I enjoy, so I don't get bored. I wouldn't last very long just limiting myself to steamed vegetables and grilled chicken.

Is your diary accurate? If so, you are leaving a lot of calories left over each day. You have room for a lot more food. Also, do you realise that your body needs fat for good health? You've got plenty of room there to add in more foods that you actually enjoy and wouldn't be bored of. You'll also be a lot healthier, have more energy and are likely to keep the weight off long term if you don't eat so little.
  • mg_alva
    Options
    I try to make my logs as accurate as possible. I check and recheck the calories for everything I use and use the highest one I find. I have noticed the calorie gap also.
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    Instead of looking up an entire recipe, I just Google "best way to cook ____" and it usually lists some websites with various techniques for preparing a certain food item, like chicken. You can apply those techniques to whatever amount of the food that you want. You can also look for mug recipes. They're super fun. You can make almost anything in a single serving with just a coffee mug and your microwave. I often cook my eggs in a mug and they come out fantastic.

To flesh out your snacks, try adding nuts and other things with fat/protein in them to your fruit, like Greek yogurt and avocado. Don't be afraid to eat what you want, even if it doesn't adhere to the conventional view of what "healthy" is. As long as you're eating up to your calorie goal (and not over it) the sky is the limit! You don't have to struggle and be bored as long as you balance out calorie dense foods that you love with lower cal stuff like salads and veg.
  • mg_alva
    Options
    I guess that's my problem. I'm afraid I'll eat something that isn't "healthy" and mess up my day.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Why not make a full recipe and freeze the leftovers in individual portions? I do this constantly and it's great, because there's always something to be heated up when I don't feel like cooking.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Emilybites.com Canyoustayfordinner.com Skinnytaste.com and chef-in-training.com are great websites for ideas and you can freeze the portions you don't eat and reheat them for later use .........Good luck
  • mg_alva
    Options
    That's what I was thinking as I posted my question. Especially since I'm always rushing and atleast I won't have to wonder how to divide a full recipe by 4 every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I guess that's my problem. I'm afraid I'll eat something that isn't "healthy" and mess up my day.

You likely need to reassess your perception of "healthy." If you cook recipes with whole food ingredients, it's going to be pretty "healthy"
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Why not freeze your food in portions? Then you can have a few meals on hand when you need them and won't be eating the same thing for 4 days straight.
  • mg_alva
    Options
    That's what I'm going to do. I'll make 4 serving recipes and save the rest for meals throughout the week. Now if I could just figure out my snacks :huh:
  • brittany2188
    Options
    For snacks I have 100 calorie bags of popcorn, a low sodium rice cake with a wedge of laughing cow cheese or peanut butter spread on it, mixed berries, grapes, string cheese, etc. Higher protein snacks will keep you fuller, longer.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com Great recipes, calculated for you. I have double checked some and they have all been accurate.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I cook in large portions & divide whatever it is... side dish, meal, etc.... into freezer bags & label them with dates.

Then I thaw and re-heat what I want when I want it.

Large recipes? I got that :)
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If your calories are low and you are hungry, maybe try adding some cheese or nuts to your snacks.

For meals I try using the same purchased item in different ways. For example, I'll buy a turkey breast, cook it in a crock pot, eat a meal with turkey, potato, veggie, even stuffing; then with the rest make a turkey sandwich, use in a casserole, on a salad. I do the same with a deli rotisserie chicken - eat part for a meal with some veggies, salad, and then use the rest on salad for lunch, or on a chicken gyro, or shred and mix with some seasoning and salsa and make chicken tacos or chicken fajitas. You can do the same cooking up chicken breasts. And...if you have foods you enjoy, you won't mind eating them more than once in a week.
  • mg_alva
    Options
    My calorie intake was calculated at 1400. I'm finding it hard to reach that though. And I know that it has to do with my snacks and dinner. I really try not to skip dinner, even if I eat something small. But I just don't have an appetite most of the time. Has anyone had that problem before? I know I'm not doing by body any good when at the end of the day I've only eaten about 900 calories
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My calorie intake was calculated at 1400. I'm finding it hard to reach that though. And I know that it has to do with my snacks and dinner. I really try not to skip dinner, even if I eat something small. But I just don't have an appetite most of the time. Has anyone had that problem before? I know I'm not doing by body any good when at the end of the day I've only eaten about 900 calories

Increase your fat intake - fats are calorie-dense so a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter or extra oil on the grill will add substantial calories. Drinking your calories can also help to increase your intake.