Workout shoe recommendations?

I am doing 30DS and my feet were KILLING me. It felt like the arch was hitting a nerve that made my foot tense/spasm. I tried barefoot, but I need traction and my shins hurt.

I currently have a pair of year old running shoes, so I need new ones anyway. I am not a runner, yet, but I will be exercising and walking a TON over the next several months. Also, I have very bad knees thanks to patella femoral synd and a curved spine (j shape). Idk if those factor in.

Thanks!

Replies

• AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    No one?
  • rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Please go to a store that specializes in running/working out (not a big box or one staffed by kids working part time after school), and get fitted for the shoe that your body and your workout need.

I trashed my feed and damaged my knees working out in New Balance - they're fine shoes, and my husband does very well in them. But they're wrong for my body.

You'll be much happier and much healthier if you get the right shoes for you, regardless of what works for anyone else.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    I second the above. If you've never been professionally fitted for athletic shoes before, DO IT. It's worth every penny that you'll spend. I just went to my local running store this weekend and spent an outrageous amount of money on Saucony running shoes - and I got personalized attention. The rep had me walk, filmed me while running on a treadmill, and quickly determined that I had one of the worst overpronation problems he'd ever seen. He fitted me out with shoes that correct those issues.

I tried the shoes out today for the first time, and believe me - a HUGE difference. I walk straight, my gait is actually faster, and my back no longer hurts. It's AMAZING what these shoes do for me.

Go and get professionally fitted. You will NOT regret it, I promise you.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    What works for me may not work for you so it's pretty individualized. It's a good idea to go to a store that can fit you into a shoe that suits your needs and gives you the proper amount of support in the right places. I would avoid large chain stores.
    Also spend what you need to spend to get proper shoes. If what works is on sale then great but don't buy something because it's on sale.
    Good luck to you and your tootsies