Anyone have a fitbit zip?

Options
I'm thinking of buying a fitbit zip and I was just wondering if anyone has one and what your thoughts are? I've researched a couple of similar devices and this one seems to have the best reviews. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• df1960
    df1960 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit one same as the zip, but the one tracks sleep patterns.

I love the fitbit, it tracks every step you take, works on the elliptical and even on an stationary bike.
  • MrsHeatherG33
    MrsHeatherG33 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip, I've had it about a month now and I love it, it's small and descrete and keeps me on track through the day. I like that it syncs with mfp and I get a weekly report of my activity via email. The only thing to remember is to enter your start time when you enter exercise on mfp. I got mine on amazon for just under $50, one other thing the zip doesn't track sleep or floors (stairs) just steps/distance/calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip - after comparing all the models and things they do, I decided the Zip was best for me. I don't need the floor/stairs or sleep tracking, basically just wanted a better idea of my activity each day, and the motivation to move a bit more. And I like gadgets. :tongue:

I picked up a brand new one on eBay for $39, and it works great.

I use the TDEE method for calories, so I don't have my Zip connected to my MFP account because I don't want it to adjust my calories, but I like seeing the daily burn estimate it gives me, and pushing myself to get those steps and other daily goals done. It has been very eye opening to see how little I move on non-run days or on my rest days.

All in all, I think it's useful in helping me fine tune my calorie intake. And being the oldest model still available (I think there was one other before this one? Or maybe it was between the Zip and the One, not sure), it's often the cheapest to pick up. Good luck!
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit zip. I've had it for 2 1/2 months. I love it. It downloads to mfp automatically. It doesn't track things like biking and weight training, but you can input that exercise yourself. It takes the guess work out of how active you are on a daily basis. And since I got mine I have found that even on days that I'm not running or weight training, my favorite workouts, I take walks so that I can get in my steps. Buy 1, you won't regret it.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I just got a Fitbit Zip as well, for free through work. Still trying to figure it out though. I placed on my dresser last night and when I woke up this morning to put it on it was showing 350 calories burned by it sitting on the dresser. ???
  • ffargynnig
    ffargynnig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    To answer MrsG31's post It takes in to account you burn while your sleeping, the baseline burn for your bodily functions.
    I have a Zip, I love it! The only issue is the problem syncing with MFP. Its a good pedometer for those starting out and don't want to spend big money on a "Flex" or a "Force.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    To answer MrsG31's post It takes in to account you burn while your sleeping, the baseline burn for your bodily functions.
    I have a Zip, I love it! The only issue is the problem syncing with MFP. Its a good pedometer for those starting out and don't want to spend big money on a "Flex" or a "Force.

So, then if I want to know the true number of calories I burned during a certain activity (Eliptical, walking, zumba, etc) then I need to jot down the calorie count right before starting?

I have (or had...can't seem to find it) a pedometer that also counted calories that could set & re-set to start at zero whenever you wanted. But it seemed to inaccurate, so I wanted to try something else. And the Zip was free.....
  • thunker
    Options
    Ugh, I think the site just ate the post I created....

I have the Fitbit Zip and the Flex. They each have perks and (sort of) downfalls. You'll need to see what's better for you.

I upgraded to the Flex initially because I thought I would be using the sleep tracker a lot more. I did for the first 2 months but the last month or so I've barely used it. The other thing that's a little annoying (which I knew before buying it) is that the flex doesn't show your steps unless you sync it to the app. The light indicates around where you are, but sometimes I wish I could just look down and see it like on the zip.

Some random advice when it comes to trying to hide them or make them blend in. I play a lot of soccer so I've been playing a 'hide my arm from the ref' game for the past few months. I figured they'll probably tell me to take a fit bit off my wrist if they saw it. I also was a bridesmaid in a wedding and had a time trying to figure out where I could wear the Flex without it showing. So if any of that matters to you, a fitbit that clips on is going to be easier to conceal then the Flex or Force which are worn around your wrist.

Also, I believe the Flex and Force are both water resistant, so if you do a lot of swimming and maybe want to still get steps from that, they might be a good option. From what I know, the Zip and One are not water resistant. I've worn my flex to the pool before with no issues.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It takes in to account you burn while your sleeping, the baseline burn for your bodily functions.
    So, then if I want to know the true number of calories I burned during a certain activity (Eliptical, walking, zumba, etc) then I need to jot down the calorie count right before starting?
    Using an activity tracker (like a Fitbit or Jawbone UP) requires a whole 'nother mindset. It's not like MFP's default "exercise & immediately get x number of calories to eat."

Activity trackers calculate & display your TDEE—that magic number so many MFPers try to find by using generic online calculators. If you eat at a deficit from your TDEE, you will lose weight.

When the system works (Fitbit's had problems syncing w/ MFP since Christmas), your activity tracker sends your TDEE to MFP. MFP compares it to the activity level you chose in your diet profile, and adjusts your calorie goal accordingly. (Alternately, you can customize your MFP calorie goal to your TDEE minus a percentage.)

Edited to add that w/ an activity tracker you stop logging any step based activity. Non-step workouts (like spinning or swimming) can be logged either in the tracker or in MFP. I personally find the trackers' burns to be way more accurate than MFP's one-size-fits-all estimates.
  • dobberloon
    dobberloon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Editorgrl: I purchased a FitBit Zip over the weekend and your post answered all of the questions I've had about it. It's been syncing fine with MFP. I put the Sync USB thingy in at night when I finish my MFP logging, click on the FitBit app that comes up and sync it. The biggest reason I got it was for personal accountability. My other pedometers weren't reliable so I wasn't wearing them all of the time. The ZIP is easy to wear so I feel I get an accurate account of my general daily activity. When I go biking - yeah it is now bike weather in MN! - I just add that to MFP. So far so good.