running uphill?

Options
i have a hiking trail behind my house and its mostly uphill. My goal is too lose weight without gaining much muscle (leg muscle). Will running uphill for 3 miles a day make me lose weight and gain a lot of muscle?

Replies

• lizwizCYLS
    lizwizCYLS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You'll likely gain quite a bit of thigh muscle but more of a concern from my experience is that I'm great going uphill & on flat ground but DOWNHILL is extremely hard on my knees so I wouldn't recommend RUNNING downhill for any great distance....perhaps a slow jog or trot to get back home?
  • kevin9xo
    kevin9xo Posts: 25
    Options
    should i just stick with flat ground?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at a deficit, you won't build muscle no matter what you do.
  • lizwizCYLS
    lizwizCYLS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    should i just stick with flat ground?

I wouldn't....I've got a great friend who drops me off at the BOTTOM of the hill & I walk back up that way I never have to do the downhill part except once in a while....uphill is faster for cardio & flatground is great when my mobility is compromized so all has its place....you're just starting out & I wouldn't wish a lifetime of knee pain on anyone....I just wanted to give you the heads-up on the dangers of that angle of stress on knees eh!